would puppies harm baby?

tb42

Reaction score
I have 2 puppies,5 and 8 months old. They sleep with me and my husband in the bedroom and sometimes in the morning they would come into the bed and sleep with us, but they don't have tigs or skin problem at all.
Would they harm the baby or me during my pregnancy?:headspin:

if, like you say they are all clean and germ free etc and no illnesses themselves, then i dont see why not. I mean, kids carry more germs than anyone and we had 3 in our bed wilst i was pregnant lol. I wouldnt go on just my advice, but i really dont see a problem :)

Congrats btw :)

I dont think so. I heard cats are bad, but never heard anything about dogs. I have a yorkshire terrier and he sleeps in our bed, we carry him all the time, and he always gives us LOTS of kisses!!

hmmm i think the only way the pups would harm you or the baby was if you accidently tripped and fell over them! Such an unlikely thing to happen, so i'd think you are ok :)

I have two dogs and I haven't had anyone caution me against anything with them yet so I would think that you would be fine.

Not sure how they react to someone else in their 'den'. I have 2 adult dogs and they like their own beds to be their beds if you see what i mean.Just need to be sensible and understand your dogs behaviour, they are a pack animal and can be territorial. Never had a problem, kids need to understand they are not a toy, hate to see kids pulling dogs around as if they are. Love the smell of a puppy , or am i just weird?

Thank you. i'm thinking about moving them to the living room a few months before the baby comes,so the baby won't get dog hair or things like that.
Usually we clean the dogs 2-3 times a week after they come back from the beach in the morning( my husband takes them for a walk and we wash them when they're back)

I doubt they'd do any harm whilst your pregnant, especially if they're fairly small but as you get bigger, you might want to be a little bit more careful.

Once baby is born, I wouldn't chance it.. I wouldn't leave Bethanie with a cat on her own, even now.. animals are too unpredictable.

we are trying to get a dog too, preferably a puppy
i think its really important for kids to have pets.
puppies can be jealous so i would want to get it now so i could give it a lot of attention b4 peanut comes but my husband pointed out that coz i still feel so sick and gag all the time the puppy and all its smells might make it worse

i dunno...

During pregnancy, dogs are known to get overprotective where as cats are generally the more jealous, angry ones. Im sure this varies greatly though. My cat got angry with me!

We have a BIG puppy (18 months and 90 lbs). None of the doctors I've ever been too has expressed concern about the dog. Cats can be a problem b/c of toxoplasmosis (so I don't have to clean the litter box for 9 months!!!), but dogs are just fine. Thea LOVES to give kisses and I go ahead and let her! Though I do have to admit that cupcake has a point...sometimes the doggy smell is too much for my overly sensitive pregnancy nose! It never bothered me before, but now i can't be too close to her for too long :-(

And Coccyx, I love puppy smell too!! Very different from doggy smell!

we are trying to get a dog too, preferably a puppy
i think its really important for kids to have pets.
puppies can be jealous so i would want to get it now so i could give it a lot of attention b4 peanut comes

I think thats the wrong way round to have a dog, it the dog will more likely to be jelous when the baby arrives and then suddenly all the attention is on the baby rather than what it was used too.

Also you have to consider if you will have the time to give the dog the walks and attention it needs when the baby arrives, as you still need to train the puppy and make it sociable.

I would love a dog, but i am waiting untill ewan is old enough to help with the dog, and understand more about it. i would never considered having a puppy before having ewan, i just couldnt give it the attention it needed.

i love the smell of puppies as well even there breath lol i know i know but i like it i would love to smell it now

Firsttimer that sounds freaky! puppy fetish

Then again, when I was pregnant I wanted to drink wash conditioner so..

Another option would be to rescue an adult dog. The usually come already potty trained, don't have as much energy, and generally require less work than a little puppy. Granted...you don't get puppy breath and some of the other puppy things that are fun, but I'm a big fan of rescuing animals, and since everyone wants puppies, the adult dogs get forgotten. That might be a good option. As for the timing...well, there's not such thing as perfect timing, right? I have a friend who got pregnant right around the same time she got her puppy. It can be a lot to handle, but at the same time, as a dog owner, it's also so rewarding. And I'm really looking forward to seeing the bond develop between my dog and the baby. Many dogs have a sixth sense about kids and babies...it's true that some get jealous, but more often than not, I've seen the dog take on a protective role over the child...

I think if you and your SO decide it's time for a dog, then you should go for it. Just make sure you are prepared for the extra work and time commitment it will require. And do the research to try to find a dog that fits well into your lifestyle. I don't think you'll regret it!

Asked same question to doc last week

Answer is NO they won`t harm the baby

As long as they are dewormed etc. they won`t

Just one thing to consider,usually when your pups sleep
with you they are spoiled,right?

They get jealous easily,it will be the right thing to move them to
the living room,as they will not accept a baby moving in and them
moving out right away and they might harm the baby(after birth though)

Inside of you baby is safe as can be

Regards:baby:

During pregnancy, dogs are known to get overprotective where as cats are generally the more jealous, angry ones. Im sure this varies greatly though. My cat got angry with me!

SO true my dog, 8yr old Boston Terrier is driving my NUTS! he so knows and he is makes me feel like he thinks we are going to put him out. he also sleeps with us and is my first born ! ill keep loving him and tring to assure him everything is going to be fine !
We do not plan on having a family bed and the dog is keeping his spot with us.
im hoping he will rest easy when the baby gets here and he sees he is still mommies baby too.

Dogs are over protective when a new baby comes. Just see that it is clean and regularly given bath. Dogs are so cute and lovable:hugs:, if you train it right it can help you in taking care of the baby.:crib:

I don't think dogs could cause harm, I've never heard of it anyway

Not the doctor that said the dogs would harm babies,but my mother-in-law. She's very obsessed with cleanliness and stuff and she keep saying it would harm the baby. It annoys me because it's stressing me out. Whatever her son(my husband) says it's fine,she wouldn't stop saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->