Would this break a dogs back??

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
So I am kind of confused and maybe a bit scared for the welfare of my MIL other dogs. She has one lab cross staff and two yorkshire terriers. One called Bengi and one called sammi

Anyway she rang OH a few days ago and said that she had had to put bengi down because his back had been basicaly snapped in half her words. OH asked how and she said that he had fallen off the sofa. Surley It would take some force to snap a dogs back:cry:

Does anyone know if this is likley:shrug:

I'm not a vet but something is telling me that she is telling the whole truth

xxx

i wouldnt of thought so my dogs fall off the sofa all the time and are fine! xxx

Im not a vet or anything but i dont think it would break a dogs back unless the dog fel with alot of force

I somehow can't see a dog falling off a sofa breaking it's back, sorry!

:hugs:

Dunno? sounds a bit dodgy...

but maybe possible if it was an old dog & maybe it fell off the back of the sofa & landed awkwardly?? :shrug: (I have a Chihuahua and he always likes to be on the back of the sofa) xx

that poor dog! Sounds v dodgy to me, I think you need alot of force to break a back. xxx

if it landed funny it could happen! one of mine has a bad back and we dont even allow him on the sofa/the bed etc.

Yeah and if it's an old dog it could have had brittle bones too.

Depends how it fell, if it fell onto something. Its possible but seems unlikely.

Hmm its possible dependant on age and health like others have said hun, but definatley not a common occurance

He has just turned two and seemed fine when I saw him. I dont know Maybe I'm just too suspicious
xx

Hmm i'd say it's possible if it was an old dog that fell off a sofa backwards, maybe onto something. But a young dog... I would have my suspicions too. My dogs are always doing back flips off my bed and sofas, even my 11 year old has never hurt herself.
I guess there's no way to find out if it's true though :shrug:

i have 2 yorkies and one is v old and she falls off my sofa/gets knocked over by my Labs quite often and she is fine????

i suppose it could happen tho the dog would have to be very unlucky :cry: poor little thing :hugs:

hmm it does sound dodgy. however my grans basset hound fell off the sofa in a very awkward way and we saw her fall, the way she fell made us think she must have seriously hurt herself or her back.
i think it would be highly unlikely but i think its possible.

He could have fallen badly, maybe twisted on landing. Especially if he's old or has weak bones. Some pedigree dogs have weaknesses you wouldn't expect because of inbreeding. Like miniature poodles who's knees slip out and alsations who's hip tend to dislocate...

Dunno? sounds a bit dodgy...

but maybe possible if it was an old dog & maybe it fell off the back of the sofa & landed awkwardly?? :shrug: (I have a Chihuahua and he always likes to be on the back of the sofa) xx

When I was thinking of getting a chihuahua I read that they tend to break bones easily.

The reason I think there may be more to it is because OH's Brother whos is 15 always torments the dog the lab/staff he used to hit all the time to the point where nathan cant gp near him because he hates him

And bengi the dog in question when I was down there a few months ago used to cower from him
xx

oh dear how awful. Hmm I would have to say something

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back