• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you complain?

Scoobys mummy

Reaction score
Just lookin opinions as its playing on my mind! I was in asda shopping at the weekend and the conversation with the checkout operator went like this

Me:hi
Him: hi there, lovely day,any plans for the weekend?
Me: oh maybe a BBQ etc, bla bla small talk,yourself?
Him: oh I was meant to be going to,a protest but my dad needs help with something so I don't know if I will get.

Now...I just said ah right and carried on packing my bags. On seeing that I wasn't being drawn in he then said

Him: yeah I was meant to be going to dublin to protest against the new abortion law with my friends. Disappointed if I can't go.

:saywhat:

Is it just me or was this totally inappropriate at a shop checkout? I didn't really answer him as I was paying and a bit stunned...

I work in a shop and wouldn't dream of chatting to a customer about abortion (regardless of my views). Should I email asda and complain??

I am curious what the new law is about? Not from dublin.

I probably wouldn't because he was just talking about his plans. Not sure if he was forcing his political opinion on you.

Nm. I just read the news. Wow 35k marched against the bill. It surprised me that it was illegal

I would say its inappropriate - he was in a way putting across his views on what is a very sensitive subject.

But not complaint worthy.

No I wouldn't. With THAT many people at the protest and him stating he was to go with some friends I think it was just on his mind/something he is proud to be supporting(now I am taking he was AGAINST the abortion!)

I wouldn't, he was hardly forcing his view on you.

Personally I would just let them know, as they could say the same thing to someone else and they could blow up over it, when I was a waitress (in the uk) we where told not to talk to customers about politics/football/anything controversial, stick to the weather!!! I suppose it's because I live in Ireland but I would have probably said something back!!!

The thing is it was as if he wanted to draw me into a full on debate but I didn't respond. Maybe am overreacting, just wondered what others thought. Thanks!!

I think it's innapropriate But not bad enough to make a complaint.

Very inappropriate, we all have opinions but we don't talk about them in a working capacity to customers/clients whatever, yes it was his "plans" but he could have easily omitted what the protest was about, if you asked then fair enough but he could have just said "going to Dublin" or even "for a protest". It wouldn't surprise me if it was against policy to talk about personal strong opinions like that but even if it wasn't it wasn't professional on his behalf and tbh sounds a bit deliberate and attention speaking. I don't know if I would go as far as complaining but I probably would have said something on the spot about it being inappropriate to talk about.

I wouldn't complain . Probably not the best topic for chit chat to customers though. I would imagine you where not the only one he said that to that day also.

He was out of order and unprofessional.
Hate it when people try to force their opinions on you-go away! Xx

The fact that he insisted on telling you what exactly he was protesting would have done it for me. He was presumably thinking you'd agree and want to congratualte him as you were with a child.

It could have massively blown up in his face. I have a child and I'm pro-choice, he would have ended up with a massive piece of my mind. Getting into conversations like this with customers is massively inappropriate, I would certainly mention it to management not so he got in trouble but so he was educated not to be so controversial in his small talk in works time. If some one did end up biting back him having a stand up row with someone could cost him his job, he should have been taught better.

My concern is that, even though he may be targeting certain customers he thinks will agree-how does he not knw they have had a miscarriage/abortion/ethicsl loss for whatever reason?
He could cause some distress.

Maybe he is trying to recruit people to go the protest?
Either way, when your buying your shopping, it's the wrong place.

Xx

Hate it when people try to force their opinions on you -go away! Xx
He was hardly forcing his opinion saying he was supposed to be going on a protest about abortion...no forcing of opinion there at all.

I don't think it's worthy of complaint

It's just a guy making conversation while at work, I have often moaned about not being able to do x,y or z because I was having to work

I think the subject was mentioned in a factual way, that's what he was planning to do iykwim, had he of gone on to gve his opinion and try to draw you into things that would be a matter for complaint, but simply saying he was going to be doing that but had to work is just a matter of fact.

He was hardly forcing his opinion saying he was supposed to be going on a protest about abortion...no forcing of opinion there at all.

Sorry, but to me, protests are about opinions. I don't want to know people's opinions when I just want to get my shopping lol
Xx

Sorry, but to me, protests are about opinions. I don't want to know people's opinions when I just want to get my shopping lol
Xx

Me too, especially a topic like abortion, if someone told me they were going to an anti-abortion protest it will naturally make me think about my own opinions. I think he was inciting debate/support, not the place to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->