• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you complain?

He was out of order and unprofessional.
Hate it when people try to force their opinions on you -go away! Xx
He was hardly forcing his opinion saying he was supposed to be going on a protest about abortion...no forcing of opinion there at all.

Sorry, but to me, protests are about opinions. I don't want to know people's opinions when I just want to get my shopping lol
Xx

Protests are about opinions, yes. The guy wasn't forcing his opinion on OP though. If you said you were going to church on sunday (for example) would this mean you were forcing religious views on other people? No lol.

I think the fact that he added on at the end what he was doing was what would bug me. From what I understand he told you that he planned to go to a protest,a bit of time passed and whilst you were bagging your shopping he said "yeh meant to be going to dublin for an anti-abortion protest" that was uncalled for and not really needed.

He was out of order and unprofessional.
Hate it when people try to force their opinions on you -go away! Xx
He was hardly forcing his opinion saying he was supposed to be going on a protest about abortion...no forcing of opinion there at all.

Sorry, but to me, protests are about opinions. I don't want to know people's opinions when I just want to get my shopping lol
Xx

Protests are about opinions, yes. The guy wasn't forcing his opinion on OP though. If you said you were going to church on sunday (for example) would this mean you were forcing religious views on other people? No lol.

But you haven't stated what denomination you are so you haven't really expressed what religion you are. Saying you're going to church is a generic thing, saying you're going to a protest is a generic thing, saying "oh yeah it's an anti abortion protest" is clearly giving someone your opinion, it would be like me saying "I'm off to vote today, yeah I am going to vote for the Conservatives" everyone knows this is someone inciting a reaction and while you may do this with friends, you do not do this in your work's uniform serving a customer.
If it was small talk from someone else in the queue then fine, a bit weird but yeah whatever, but not someone in their place of employment. Abortion is a very emotive subject (and this thread will probably get locked because of it) and it isn't something you drop into conversation with a customer. I'm sure he really wasn't that stupid to not know he was being inappropriate.

Of course it was inappropriate, noone is denying that. But it is extremly dramatic to say that this guy was 'forcing his opinion' on anybody. And yes, actually I go to Mass every saturday, I do not have any religious beliefs whatsoever but still attend. So by me saying I attend Mass does not actually fulfill any criteria for me forcing my opinion on anybody, because my 'opinion' would actually be that I dont want to go, dont want to be there and dont believe in any religion.

Back to the original point, yes it is inappropriate to talk about it in Asda when you are at work, but I honestly dont see what would come from complaining about it? In ireland I imagine that the new Protection of Life Bill is BIG BIG news....therefore a lot of people are probably talking about it so this guy maybe thought that it was socially acceptable to drop into conversation. We just dont know do we. Either way, I still dont think he was forcing an opinion.

Of course it was inappropriate, noone is denying that. But it is extremly dramatic to say that this guy was 'forcing his opinion' on anybody. And yes, actually I go to Mass every saturday, I do not have any religious beliefs whatsoever but still attend. So by me saying I attend Mass does not actually fulfill any criteria for me forcing my opinion on anybody, because my 'opinion' would actually be that I dont want to go, dont want to be there and dont believe in any religion.

Back to the original point, yes it is inappropriate to talk about it in Asda when you are at work, but I honestly dont see what would come from complaining about it? In ireland I imagine that the new Protection of Life Bill is BIG BIG news....therefore a lot of people are probably talking about it so this guy maybe thought that it was socially acceptable to drop into conversation. We just dont know do we. Either way, I still dont think he was forcing an opinion.

I don't think he was "forcing his opinion" but he was giving his opinion on a very emotive subject when it wasn't asked for, in an inappropriate place and think some people would naturally feel quite offended by this depending on their own circumsances especially, and while I personally wouldn't complain, can see why some people would feel the need to. You might not feel like he was forcing his opinion, but I can see why some people would feel that way, everyone is entitled to their own feelings.

I probably would have thought it a bit of a weird subject to bring up. I don't think I would complain however unless I felt he was talking about it to deliberately upset or annoy me, in which case I would have complained right away. If he was just passing his opinion, that's fine with me because I will just ignore it anyway whatever it is.

Yeah I think I'll leave it,maybe if he had pushed any more I would have complained there and then. Maybe it's because I work in retail that I even caught on it was inappropriate. Thanks!!

No, I don't think so. He asked you what your weekend plans were and you asked him.

I think the fact that he added on at the end what he was doing was what would bug me. From what I understand he told you that he planned to go to a protest,a bit of time passed and whilst you were bagging your shopping he said "yeh meant to be going to dublin for an anti-abortion protest" that was uncalled for and not really needed.
Isn't that people do when in conversations? OP probably had a tone or said in such a way where he probably feel he had to add "Yeah...[insert whatever is his mind]".

This is how my family got me spill the beans when I had no intentions of sharing them in the first place

I do agree that mentioning of "abortion" is the same*as mentioning who you voting for. It can cause an unnecessary reaction from people because politics of some ppeople can infringe the rights of other people .so of course they will get upset . Religions can't (unless it brought into politics...) .

I think if he had mentioned a protest about fox hunting, or benefit cuts, or something along those lines it would still be inappropriate as it does cross a boundary in customer service but not to the same extent as abortion, if it had been one of the former ones I mentioned you'd problem think he was over sharing a bit but to be talking about a topic such as abortion at a check out and essentially giving your view on it is on another level I think.

It definitely wasn't a wise or appropriate topic to bring up. I wouldn't complain though. If you'd asked him to stop talking about it and he'd carried on regardless then I might, but I wouldn't jump straight to complaining to his manager.

Is it really something thats a big deal though? he only said what his plans where for the weekend I would simply accept them and move on. He isnt going on some sort of killing spree and breaking the law. Maybe since here abortion is illegal and he felt it was currant news. Its not my cup of tea but would simply shrug and walk on. Although dont think it was suitable conversation still but wouldnt bother me.

Is it really something thats a big deal though? he only said what his plans where for the weekend I would simply accept them and move on. He isnt going on some sort of killing spree and breaking the law. Maybe since here abortion is illegal and he felt it was currant news. Its not my cup of tea but would simply shrug and walk on. Although dont think it was suitable conversation still but wouldnt bother me.

Because his opinion is offensive to some people, he's entitled to his opinion but you don't make them clear in the work place when you're serving people, if I was going to a protest like that I don't think I'd tell my colleagues let alone our students.

Because his opinion is offensive to some people, he's entitled to his opinion but you don't make them clear in the work place when you're serving people, if I was going to a protest like that I don't think I'd tell my colleagues let alone our students.
I am just saying it dosnt bother me. I dont even agree with his opinion either. Its his opinion as you say I wouldnt be ashamed of my opinion, and again will say wasnt the best topic of choice for a conversation. Just wouldnt bother complaining.

Nah I wouldn't complain. If that was me it probably wouldn't of bothered me.. He probably just got carried away chatting.

I am just saying it dosnt bother me. I dont even agree with his opinion either. Its his opinion as you say I wouldnt be ashamed of my opinion, and again will say wasnt the best topic of choice for a conversation. Just wouldnt bother complaining.

Yeah I think the annoying thing about it is he didn't know who he was talking to, so I guess complain if it did personally offend you (I suppose the tone and how you read the person as he says it will affect how offended you feel). It just never ceases to amaze me how daft some people can be sometimes in terms of job professionalism.

Its not really a topic to be discussed with a customer but not worth complaining about.
Tbh I probably would have actually said to him "be carefull, that's a sensitive subject with some customers and could get you into trouble with your work if someone complained" Just to make it clear I wasn't impressed but others would take it a lot further and for him to think twice before bringing it up again.

The more I think about it...I think I would. Women who had abortion would feel very uncomfortable and perhap feel like a murderer in his eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->