Would you do an 'Angelina Jolie' ...?

pompeyvix

Reaction score
Following on from the story that Angelina Jolie has undergone a double mastectomy after finding out she has an 87% chance of getting breast cancer.....if you found out you had a high chance, would you?

If so, what chance percentage would make you go ahead with such drastic surgery?

Any percentage above 25 i would seriously start considering it.

They are just breasts so anything even close to AJs number and i woulnt even question it

Would you consider getting a genetic test in the first place?

I kinda want to know, but also would be very scared.

I wouldnt get tested without a reason like strong family history.

I had a MRI and CT scan when pregnant because of strong family history of brain aneurysm, thankfully it all came back ok but it wasnt something i considered until having babies.

Definitely. They're only breasts. I'd rather live without them than my family live without me. X

I would do what Angelina Jolie did in a New York minute.
With her family history, she absolutely did the right thing.
None of us know what will take us out in the end, but when science can put the odds back in your favour, I can't imagine not doing it. Especially in her case with genetic tests showing such a high possibility of this happening to her and her being the mother of six kids.
I loved her article and really appreciated the bravery and integrity she showed in sharing something so personal.

There is strong history of testicular cancer in my family (both my father and uncle have had it within the past few years)... obviously would't affect me. But if a cancer such as breast cancer had a family history, I most definitely would be genetically tested. And if the % was 20+ I would seriously go ahead. As special_kala said, they're just breasts, and it's not exactly like mine are anything to brag about anyways.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew the chances were around 25% plus.

I dont have much boob anyway, so it'd be nothing for me to lose, but still, they're just boobs at the end of the day. I'd rather have my life. x

I would do it in a heartbeat.

Boobs are boobs, you can have them fixed. If I didnt and i knew I had a higher than 20%+ and then I did happen to get it how could I turn to my family and say I knew but chose not to do anything because of vanity!

No question. Boobs are boobs and you can get implants. Any life is more important than a pair of breasts.

You can have implants in their place cant you?
I most definitely would..although im not sure what % risk though..
Out of curiosity, is it available on the nhs to have a mastectomy and implants put back in their place? Or does it go down the private route?

Out of curiosity, is it available on the nhs to have a mastectomy and implants put back in their place? Or does it go down the private route?

I am fairly certain that most socialized health care considers the breast replacement as part of the overall recovery and procedure. I know several women here in Canada who had a very cool breast reconstruction that used their own abdominal fat to create the new breast shape, as opposed to silicone implants. I don't remember any of them mentioning that this was something separate that they had had to seek out and pay for on their own. I am quite curious about this, actually. I might go see if I can find out, for sure.

I know if cancer is found and a mastectomy is performed, reconstruction can be performed at the the same time or at a later date if radiotherapy is required but I am not sure what would happen if you opted for the mastectomy as a preventative rather than a form of treatment.

I'd definitely do it if there was a risk. I'd rather prevent than chance it.

I think you are entitled to a reconstruction on the NHS when it's preventative surgery. I was watching the news yesterday and they were talking about Angelina and they said the same options would be available to anyone with an increased risk of breast cancer.

After losing my Grandad to cancer, i would absolutely and completely do it. Anything over 25% would make me consider. I'd rather have my life than my boobs.

Yep, I remember watching Dawn Porter's programme on breast cancer

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...-Porter-embarked-journey-inherited-gene.htmlb

It was heartbreaking but if I had to do it for my health and to stay alive for my children then I would do it in a heartbeat.

I would do it also, wouldn't even have to give it a second thought. Especially knowing breast Cancer took her mother from her.. I think it is a brave choice.. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->