Would you do an 'Angelina Jolie' ...?

I just think its a decision that needs alot of thought. Its not something you just jump on as you cant go back. Even if your chances are 80% theres still a 20% chance of no cancer at all. I definately dont define myself by my breasts, but they are a part of me, they nurtured my babies, so it would be hard to part with them yes.

I just think its a decision that needs alot of thought. Its not something you just jump on as you cant go back. Even if your chances are 80% theres still a 20% chance of no cancer at all. I definately dont define myself by my breasts, but they are a part of me, they nurtured my babies, so it would be hard to part with them yes.

I agree that it isn't a lightly made decision, but for odds of 80%? That's only a one in five chance you won't get it. That's really not great. I wouldn't take a chance on those odds. :nope:

I have actually been contemplating this a lot lately, as I have had strange breast pain for the past 6 months that my doc doesn't seem too concerned about. My mother and her mother were both diagnosed with breast cancer, and both had a mastectomy performed. My younger sister (only 28) has had both a benign brain tumor and multiple liver tumors diagnosed since the age of 18. I myself had various degrees of constant cervical dysplasia for 10 years. For me, tumors and cancer have affected every women in my life (we have a small family), so I have made the decision to get the BRCA testing done in the near future, with the understanding that if need be I would proceed with a preventative double mastectomy without a doubt.

I don't equate breasts to a leg because legs have functions and without ine youre disabled for life thats different (I'd still get rid of one to live though! But it would be a harder decision) once I have breastfed this next baby my breasts have fulfilled their role, as I said earlier if I hadn't had all my children then it would be difficult because breastfeeding is important to me. But it's more important to me that I see my children grow up so I wouldn't be nostalgic about them just because they fed my babies, it would be just the next natural step to putting my children first. I'm not saying it's a pleasant decision, but for me it would be easy.

Absolutely. I would probably hold off until I had all the children I wanted to have though. I've read some horrible stuff online, people saying that she's using this as an excuse to have a boob job :( ergh

I know people are asking about whether they'd get implants but I find this SO much cooler

https://pinkunderbelly.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/url.jpeg?w=590

I would if it came to it, to maximise my chances of being around for my children.

Absolutely. And I wouldn't even care about reconstruction.

My baby girl is my whole world and I'd rather be flat chested and alive then be 6 feet under leaving my girl alone.

Breast feeding also wouldn't even come into my thought process, yes it's nice to have the opportunity to do it but it's not the be all and end all when it comes to the odds of developing cancer.

I would, if I ever needed one. Don't know if it would even count for a small A cup like me though.

I definitely would. For me it's a very easy decision to make.

I definitely would also. Anything over about 25%. So I'd probably have the hysterectomy as well (that gene mutation also increases your risk of ovarian cancer to 50%)

I definitely would. I've just seen my mum going through a mastectomy and reconstruction though so it wouldn't be a decision made lightly. she still has several operations to have in the future and the emotional turmoil (if that's not too dramatic a phrase :haha:) of losing your breasts even if you are having a reconstruction is really underestimated. I would still go for it though, I'm really not sure on what % would make me consider it though, it's kind of scary to think about the amount of healing time it takes.

I would get rid in a heartbeat if I had her odds and like others have said over 25% and I would seriously start considering it. But I don't agree with they're just breasts. I would want implants, even if I had to pay for them, as I've had body issues all my life and I just would not be comfortable with myself, my OH, going out etc without them. I mean, they're not important enough to risk my children growing up without their mother, but they are still part of my body.

Absolutely! Without hesitation.....Im currently breastfeeding DD2, and while I enjoy providing my daughter with breastmilk, my health as a whole and doing things to sustain it mean more to is enough reason to sacrifice it.

I would do it without even thinking about it for a minute

Having two very close family members go through this, I know first hand that they are not "only boobs". Is it a wise decision to have them removed? Yes! Did either one hesitate when the news came they that needed one or both removed? Not even for a second!! But is it as easy as saying, "they're only boobs"? Not really. When/if the time comes (and hopefully none of us will ever have to face it), it will be difficult. Both family members got implants immediately (this was cancer, not preventative) and both are sensitive about "boob talk". :(

I totally agree that theyre not just boobs:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->