would you let a 2 year old feed your newborn?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by xnmd1, Jan 23, 2011.

1. xnmd1

xnmd1 mommmy of 1

there are pictures on a girl's facebook that i know of her 2 year old feeding her new born baby. i WOULD have assumed it was just for fun for a cute picture IF she hadn't have commented on the picture and said "tristian is such a good helper .. he always feeds his little sister for me"
    the baby has milk all over her and someone commented and said "i think he missed" and she said "shut up! it's not tristians fault, the hole in the nipple is just too big" :dohh: can i call this a complettte miss?
    this doesn't seem safe to me or proper at all.
    actually . .worse than the bottle propping thread if you ask me

2. amy1234

amy1234 Well-Known Member

I let my niece who's 2 sit and hold the bottle with me but if you're talking about completely alone sounds odd. Where's the baby sitting?

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Well-Known Member

No, not a 2 yr old nor a 3 yr old nor a 4 yr old nor a 5 yr old etc

4. Princess86

Princess86 Well-Known Member

5. allthingspink

allthingspink Mum of 3

No, I wouldnt even let my 11 year old feed my LO!!!

6. hannahR

hannahR Hollie aged three ttc no2

I think you are being a bit judgemental really, you have no idea in what circumstances he 'helps' it could be well supervised by his mum and i doubt its like he feeds her every feed. Babies do make a mess.....she might spit a lot out whilst feeding, you just dont know. It always surprises me how judgemental mothers can be towards other mothers.

7. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

If its supervised i dont see the issue.

8. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

It could of just been a really doting statement like 'he's such a good big boy he helps all the time' when in reality he's just there and holds the bottle every now and again and it made a good photo.

To actually let a 2 yr old have responsibility for feeding probably is a bit of a no-no!!!!

9. ttc_lolly

ttc_lolly Mum to 3 girls :)

I doubt she leaves the room or takes her eyes of them whilst he's feeding baby? And milk everywhere isn't an indication he's missing LO's mouth! My baby is almost 17wks and still dribbles & splutters her milk everywhere! I think it's quite nice, also helps to have the older sibling ''helping out'', it'll make them less likely to resent their bro/sis x

10. xnmd1

xnmd1 mommmy of 1

LO was laying down, maybe on a bed? def just a flat service.

i agree, if he helps supervised, its not a big deal. but to me, she really implied by the comments that she just left him to it.

11. hayley x

hayley x 1AngelSon,1EarthDaughter

tbh I dont see the problem in taking a picture of a 2 year old feeding their baby brother/sister. at 2 he wouldnt sit there for each feed and give her the bottle, nor would the mum let that, I for one would be paranoid the toddler would drop the baby on the floor!

12. needausername

needausername Well-Known Member

No, I only trust my goat to feed my child.

Seriously though, she probably doesn't leave the 2 year old at it. Take everything you read on facebook with a pinch of salt. People do exaggerate reality. If you feel like there is real cause for concern then why post on here when you could be calling social services? No point in standing around being judgmental when you could be doing something.

When I have children I look forward to those moments where I can include all in the routine tasks, even if it is only the slightly older one "helping" me hold the bottle. It would be a hell of a lot worse if the 2 year old is completely excluded. It would lead to resentment and probably some other psychological issues. Way worse than a small bit of spilt milk.

What about all those people who leave their older children hold babies? Are they awfully bad mothers too?

13. Kimmer

Kimmer Mummy to a beautiful baby

Calm down ladies, she was only asking for opinions :dohh:

I personally wouldn't do it.

14. AP

AP Well-Known Member

Noooooooo i wouldnt even let my 7 yr old sister. Just me though. I dont let anyone but me and Hubby

Now.... A goat.... Oh wait its you needausername :rofl:

15. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

WSS :thumbup:

16. Kelloggz187

Kelloggz187 Mum to Mia & Joseph

I've done it where I've had them both on my knee, so I'm still holding Joseph aswell and I'm holding most of the bottle, - Mia's just holding the end of, but she thinks she's feeding him and gets really chuffed :) But no, I wouldn't let her do it by herself xx

17. annawrigley

annawrigley Guest

Quite strange to see people think this is ok when supervised but bottle propping is not? When in most cases of bottle propping baby is not laid flat, whereas in this situation it was. Strange... Anyway my opinion is its fine as long as you're right there, I wouldnt let them give the whole bottle, maybe just a few sips to get a feel of it and to feel helpful. Or let them hold the bottle with me as I fed the baby x

18. v2007

v2007 Well-Known Member

I very much doubt the Mum is waking the 2 year old to do the night feeds, its prob just one of those cute pics we have all done.

Mollie held Katies bottle in her mouth if i had to summat like have a pee.

V xxx

19. Lara310809

Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

I doubt she really lets him feed her "all the time", but just that he likes to feed his little sister every now and then, and if he does so, the mother is watching while he does it. 2 year olds aren't stupid, and I think many of them are fairly capable of understanding that you put the teat in the baby's mouth and they suck on it :shrug:

20. Pixxie

Pixxie Mum to 1 little girl

I would supervised, it's nice for siblings to 'help out' and makes them feel included. We have a picture of me feedin my little sister when she was born and I was 2, at the end of the day there is obviously an adult present becuase there is a picture! Xx