would you serve alcohol to a pregnant woman?

smokey

Mummy to a monkey
Reaction score
Im a waitress/barmaid so I have come across this problem once or twice but untill now iv wussed out by getting someone else to serve them so that its nothing to do with me.

Would you serve alcohol to a pregnant woman?
Im torn on it tbh, part of me thinks no I wouldnt because I dont want to encourage that but then I also think its not my business, they are an adult to make their own choices.

I know I deffinatly would cut them off if I thought they where drinking heavily or where getting drunk as we have the right to refuse service and have to promote sensible drinking by law and that comes under what we have to judge.
Im not sure if shop laws are the same as pub laws though.

So how would you deal with it?
Like I say so far I just hide to avoid making the call :)

It's a bit tricky...because technically you're 'allowed' one etc., and they are adults so I don't know really. I'd feel a bit funny about doing so though.

I think (although someone correct if i'm wrong!) that in the US it is actually illegal, saw a program where a woman was arrested for drinking while pregnant.

If they were drinking excessively then yes i would EDIT: refuse that is :haha:

When i used to work in tesco we wernt allowed to serve drunk people as its against the law (apparently) so i would use that as my excuse

When i used to work in tesco we wernt allowed to serve drunk people as its against the law (apparently) so i would use that as my excuse

But would you think twice about selling them a bottle of wine, vodka or whatever at the till if they wernt drunk?

Obviously shop is slightly different to a pub because with a shop there is no saying that it is for them or what they are doing with it but with a pub your more likely to see them drinking it

Hmmm. Well it's not illegal and obviously that woman's choice so I dont think it is up to anyone to stop her.

xxx

if it wer one light drink or a drink with some juice in it then its her choice i think i would definatley refuse her service if she was buying drink after drink and getting visibly drunk and as u said u can use the responsible service law to protect yourself

But would you think twice about selling them a bottle of wine, vodka or whatever at the till if they wernt drunk?

Obviously shop is slightly different to a pub because with a shop there is no saying that it is for them or what they are doing with it but with a pub your more likely to see them drinking it

I'd be a little reluctant if it were a bottle of wine and one glass :haha:

Nope, I just couldn't do it:shrug: I'd get someone else to serve her or if on my own just outright refuse.

No I wouldnt serve them. I dont like drinking or smoking when pregnant and when I found out I was expecting the twins I stopped smoking and I didnt touch a drop of drink. I wouldnt dare take the risk but lots of people do. I also dont agree with people being forced to give up but if I was the bar staff and the lady wanted a drink she would have to be served by someone else.

I would serve them one drink and no more.

I think everyone can have a one off in thier pregnancy and you never know that could be celebrating something. However I think a single drink is way mroe than enough in pregnancy.

I most certainly would not serve them more than once and I would never serve say a tripple vodca. HOwever a glass of wine of half a pint I wouldnt be bothered. No more though.

Its interesting though as I would never sell ciggeretes to a pregnant woman. But would serve them mayonase or a soft egg. Hmmmm

I think its just a case of standing up for what you believe in. I personally wouldn't serve her but I can see the conflict in terms of your job and employment contract (unless you own the pub), but if I was in your shoes, I would tell your manage you're not comfy doing it. I also wouldn't serve her alcohol in my home.

If a person dies because of alcohol and the bar staff/person on the till didnt stop them buying if they were drunk already they can be tried for manslaughter or negligence... There is one case of it already that I know about.. I listen to lbc.co.uk :haha: I do believe this is just ireland though
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Parish-father-giving-10-shots-pint-glass.html Its called a liqour liability law.

Its madness because you would think if they want to get into that state thats down to them but its not.

I'd serve them, but not if they were drunk. I didn't drink while I was pregnant but my friend had the odd one. How offended and upset would you be if somebody wouldn't serve you? It's their choice, not yours. But like I said, if they were drunk, I wouldn't.

i would, they're adult and although I dont like it, who am I to say no to them :shrug: That being said, if they were drunk I'd refuse to give them anymore.

When I worked in a pub I served a pregnant woman yes, I did think it was bad of her to be drinking - it was half 11 in the morning and she had a pint. However I wasn't a mother or even pregnant then so I didn't think too much of it. If I was in the situation again I would serve as I don't think it's my place to decide what she can and can't do :shrug:

I didnt read through all the posts but no, I wouldn't. When i was bartending I had a lady I served through 2 pregnancies and I refused to serve her alcohol. Eventually when she came in I just asked someone else to take her table as I refused to serve her. Just a personal choice, I will not aid in someone possibly hurting their child.

Hmmmm, interesting thread.

I guess there are lots of factors that would influence what I would do. Is she simply buying drinks for a group of people? Can I ascertain for certain that she's pregnant - what if she was just big, or even just had a baby!

If I was confident that the woman was drinking to excess I would say I could serve her as she was drunk. I worked in a few bars when at uni and refused a few people, in fact I even confiscated some guys car keys as he was utterly hammered and was going to drive home. I couldn't have lived with myself if he'd have hit someone on his way.

I honestly don't think it's anyone else's business whether a woman does or doesn't have alcohol :shrug: If she was drunk and you wouldn't serve a drunk person irrespective of whether they were pregnant or not, then fair enough, but I really don't think it's your call to make as to whether she can have a drink or not, in a public place or in private.

I think if it goes against your moral values its not about whos business it is. I wouldnt go against my values anywhere else.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->