would you serve alcohol to a pregnant woman?

Whilst her purchase is within legal limits - eg she is not drunk - to refuse to serve her is sexual descrimination - if you are serving someone it is not your place to interveen as she is acting within the law.

Maybe the law should be changed but it would criminalise the most vulnerable in society - eg those addicted to drugs/alcahol and pregnant. And then where do you stop - pg women smoking, pg people choosing to eat eggs etc - we all agree that these are things that you shouldn't do while pg but making these things illegal while pg is another question

hx

thats the thing tho unless u no 100% who shes buying for u dont have the right to no serve her.

while i was pregnant with my first i often bought my ohs cigarettes and beer, doesnt mean they were for me

But as iv said befotre in the case that im refering to I do know the drinks where for her because I dont spend the whole time on the bar im also a waitress so alot of my time is also spent working my way around the tables and watching people to see if they want anything else such as deserts, more drinks, tea/coffee, the bill.
So I did know she was on her 4th stella (I hadnt served her I served her I served her partner when he get 2 stellas each time coming up to the bar)
The thing is different people have different alcohol limits and this woman clearly was not drunk yet so is it still fine to continue serving her further drinks after the 4th stella even though shes not drunk yet?
4 stellas isnt good by anyform of guidlines.

So would it still be a case of continue to serve her untill she is at the point of drunk and disordaly (we generaly dont stop serving if they are drunk only drunk and a danger) like anyone else?
At what point should morals come into it or should they just not full stop?

Also again im not refering to outright refusing to serve them im more talking about turning the other way and letting someone else do it so I dont have to sort of thing.

thats the thing tho unless u no 100% who shes buying for u dont have the right to no serve her.

while i was pregnant with my first i often bought my ohs cigarettes and beer, doesnt mean they were for me

But as iv said befotre in the case that im refering to I do know the drinks where for her because I dont spend the whole time on the bar im also a waitress so alot of my time is also spent working my way around the tables and watching people to see if they want anything else such as deserts, more drinks, tea/coffee, the bill.
So I did know she was on her 4th stella (I hadnt served her I served her I served her partner when he get 2 stellas each time coming up to the bar)
The thing is different people have different alcohol limits and this woman clearly was not drunk yet so is it still fine to continue serving her further drinks after the 4th stella even though shes not drunk yet?

So would it still be a case of continue to serve her untill she is at the point of drunk and disordaly (we generaly dont stop serving if they are drunk only drunk and a danger) like anyone else?

my post uve quoted wasnt pointed at you, it was general.
i dont agree with that woman drinking that much at all but again i dont think its anyone elses business how much she chooses to drink.

my post uve quoted wasnt pointed at you, it was general.
i dont agree with that woman drinking that much at all but again i dont think its anyone elses business how much she chooses to drink.

I know it wasnt aimed at me directly it was just the most recent one of many others saying about how do you know who the drink was for so the easiest to quote as a response to how I knew :)

Not read the whole thread (sorry) - but my opinion is that it is nobody's business what she drinks, when she drinks it and how much she drinks.

You would have absolutely no right whatsoever to refuse to serve her because she is pregnant. You might not agree with it, but you do not have the authority to decide what is right and wrong for a person with their own mind and their own freedom to do as they wish (within the limits of the law).

I by no means agree with someone drinking excessively when pregnant, but I am also fully in support of freedom of choice etc.

There is a famous quote which says "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". I think it fits in quite well here - You don't have to agree with what the woman was doing - but thankfully we live in a country where we are allowed to make our own decisions.

If you prefer to let someone else serve her because you feel uncomfortable though - then I think that's fine.

Not read the whole thread (sorry) - but my opinion is that it is nobody's business what she drinks, when she drinks it and how much she drinks.

You would have absolutely no right whatsoever to refuse to serve her because she is pregnant. You might not agree with it, but you do not have the authority to decide what is right and wrong for a person with their own mind and their own freedom to do as they wish (within the limits of the law).

I by no means agree with someone drinking excessively when pregnant, but I am also fully in support of freedom of choice etc.

There is a famous quote which says "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". I think it fits in quite well here - You don't have to agree with what the woman was doing - but thankfully we live in a country where we are allowed to make our own decisions.

If you prefer to let someone else serve her because you feel uncomfortable though - then I think that's fine.

This is basicly what im getting at with this thread rqather then an actual refusal to serve.

I work in print and have refused to print things that I find offensive (I am not easily offended - these were really really horrible things.) This was a commercial decision that we were fully within our rights to take. However, wouldn't it be discrimination to refuse to serve alcohol to a pregnant woman, simply on the grounds that she is pregnant, rather than because she is already drunk or whatever. Obviously that would only apply if no member of staff were willing to serve the woman in question.

it would perhaps constitute indirect discrimination and I imagine a pregnant lady could rely on the Equality Act. If I owned the pub, I would try and find a way of prohibiting pregnant drinkers, dont know how yet.

Nanny state much?
I would kick up such a fuss!
How do you know I'm not buying it for my partner/father/sister etc?
I love buying wine glasses as find them pretty but these days they get filled with shlur (juice) so I feel as though i'm having a drink but am not.

Just thought to add, that all my responses were on the basis that the pregnant woman was buying the alcohol for herself, not for 3rd parties.

I actually worked in a pub that had a sign up stating "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and the owner did refuse service to people she " Knew" were pregnant , caus of the size of the pub and the lack of outdoor space ( before smoking laws came in ) we could see from behind the bar what was happening at each and every table so could clearly see if a pregnant or underage person consumed the drink. Personally I didnt refuse to serve ppl caus i wouldnt like to be mistake someone for being pregnant and offend them but i would try my best to avoid serving them and leave it to one of the other girls or the owner herself, it wasnt EVERY pregnant woman she refused service to but ppl she knew were pregnant most of our customers were locals and we knew them quite well to the point we could get their drink ready before they even got to the bar caus they ordered the same thing everytime.

in a shop theres no choice, but i would always try to duck out of serving a pregnant woman alcohol if i could just caus it makes me uncomfortable. i wouldnt serve alcohol to a pregnant woman in my own home or other private function either.

there is no legal grounds but as the law stands there are ways to get out of serving alcohol to anyone you dont wish to serve ( from how i read it )

oh and FAS cannot be caused by one drink from all research but FADS has been linked with just one drink which is Fetal alcohol dysorder syndrome and the effects of this are still being determined but it really is playing a game of chance as you never know if your child is one of those sensitive to alcohol and likely to suffer from just one drink

and in some States in the US then it is illegal to drink as a pregnant woman but this hasnt helped the problem it has just criminalised those alcohol dependant women who fall pregnant and forced them underground.

I would serve them, not everywhere/everyone in the world follows not drinking while pregnant rule. In Europe it is common for pregnant women to drink throughout pregnancy (glass of wine/beer now and again) and there is not the hardline attitude there. Obviously this is not talking about getting trashed while pregnant, so I would not serve an intoxicated pregnant woman.

It is none of my business what a pregnant woman drinks/eats/does, it is my business what I personally drink/eat/do while pregnant.

I would serve them, not everywhere/everyone in the world follows not drinking while pregnant rule. In Europe it is common for pregnant women to drink throughout pregnancy (glass of wine/beer now and again) and there is not the hardline attitude there. Obviously this is not talking about getting trashed while pregnant, so I would not serve an intoxicated pregnant woman.

It is none of my business what a pregnant woman drinks/eats/does, it is my business what I personally drink/eat/do while pregnant.

If I remember right France was one of the first countries to put the little symbol of a pregnant woman with a line through it on their alcohol, folowed quickly by most other europian countries.
There is only one or two countries where continuing to drink is normal, most actualy follow the minimal or dont do it attitude

I actually worked in a pub that had a sign up stating "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and the owner did refuse service to people she " Knew" were pregnant , caus of the size of the pub and the lack of outdoor space ( before smoking laws came in ) we could see from behind the bar what was happening at each and every table so could clearly see if a pregnant or underage person consumed the drink. Personally I didnt refuse to serve ppl caus i wouldnt like to be mistake someone for being pregnant and offend them but i would try my best to avoid serving them and leave it to one of the other girls or the owner herself, it wasnt EVERY pregnant woman she refused service to but ppl she knew were pregnant most of our customers were locals and we knew them quite well to the point we could get their drink ready before they even got to the bar caus they ordered the same thing everytime.

in a shop theres no choice, but i would always try to duck out of serving a pregnant woman alcohol if i could just caus it makes me uncomfortable. i wouldnt serve alcohol to a pregnant woman in my own home or other private function either.

there is no legal grounds but as the law stands there are ways to get out of serving alcohol to anyone you dont wish to serve ( from how i read it )

oh and FAS cannot be caused by one drink from all research but FADS has been linked with just one drink which is Fetal alcohol dysorder syndrome and the effects of this are still being determined but it really is playing a game of chance as you never know if your child is one of those sensitive to alcohol and likely to suffer from just one drink

and in some States in the US then it is illegal to drink as a pregnant woman but this hasnt helped the problem it has just criminalised those alcohol dependant women who fall pregnant and forced them underground.

This is the type of pub I work in, everyone knows everyone (thats surry towns for you) and as I said I could see that this perticular woman was drinking it herself and continuing to frink over and over yet not becoming drunk (or not obviously drunk)
She was the type to have drunk most men under the table on a general day :)

If I remember right France was one of the first countries to put the little symbol of a pregnant woman with a line through it on their alcohol, folowed quickly by most other europian countries.
There is only one or two countries where continuing to drink is normal, most actualy follow the minimal or dont do it attitude

I wasn't aware of that about France and the pregnant alcohol ban symbol thing, I have a lot of family in France and they drink wine nearly every meal (just a bit with food, not binge drinking). I am not sure if any of them drank while pregnant, but they seem to have a different attitude to alcohol there (kids get watered down wine etc). I am going there later this year, will ask :)

I was referring to minimal alcohol drinking, not crazy drinking throughout pregnancy :) Personally for me, it is no alcohol when pregnant - but I still don't see how it is my business if a pregnant women wanted a glass/halfglass of wine. It could be literally her one glass her entire pregnancy, so fits well under the minimal category.

I went to a wine tasting place with my DH, my pregnant friend and her DH. She ended up drinking half a glass of red, and although I wouldn't personally (I am paranoid!) I saw it as completely her call. It was the only alcohol she drunk while pregnant. Someone could have judged her easily and not served her as she was visibly pregnant. I think her DH would have kicked up a right stink if she had been refused service!! BTW She delivered a healthy baby boy :)

I just remembered that I have served a pregnant woman alcohol. I knew she was pregnant and I knew the drink was for her. But it was my first bar job and I didn't know I could refuse. She only had a wine spritzer anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->