Would you trust the h1n1 shot after this...

I've seen both sides of the picture. I have seen three cases of pregnant women in the ICU on a ventilator half dead with h1n1 where I worked alone. I have also seen two people who now have nerve damage and paralysis in the arm that they received the vaccine in could have been from improper delivery of the vaccine by the care provider. I know that many years ago when the h1n1 vaccine was first introduced it is what caused the Guillen-Barre (spelling?) syndrome but the vaccine used now is not the same as that one. I get a flu shot every year because I work in a NICU with babies and don't want to risk getting any of the little ones I care for sick. This year I am skipping all vaccines. I am not even getting my annual TB skin test done. Once baby is born then I will start up my flu shot again.

As far as my kids, I did traditional vaccines with two and they did fine. With one she had a strong reaction to one and so I did a delayed schedule with her. We waited until she was 18 months and then did them one at a time so as not to overload her immune system. This is also my child that was allergic to Ranch Salad dressing and was suspected of having a gluten allergy as well. She is almost nine yrs old now and doing great.

It is a difficult decision that really has to depend upon the child. I think parents should definately educate themselves from reputible sources and it is a very personal decision. And a hot debate topic too.....

Nope and I have never trusted any approved vaccine whilst pregnant to begin with.

I was offered that vaccine and I will not be getting it. I don't agree with any sort of vaccine whilst pregnant as I believe there will always be risks no matter how approved its meant to be. I don't want to risk it.

I think it's a personal choice. Also read a week ago that the H1N1 has been banned in Finland as it causes Narcolepsy (amongst other things).

Only in the past few years have I been following up on vaccines, natural foods, GM foods and affects, etc.

Surely, my baby will not be getting the MMR (measles, mumps and ruebella) vaccine. My older brother, when he was young, reacted very badly to it for more than a week and mum didn't allow him to get his booster shot and I didn't get the MMR either. I'm grateful about mum's decision. I wouldn't want my baby to go through what my brother did. Thankfully, it didn't cause him mental disorders.

I also suspect my neice who has multiple mental problems, got all that when she received the vaccines. All was fine until those injections got to her.

Can I just point out that the alleged link between MMR and mental disorders has been disproven? I know vaccinations can be scary, especially if sometimes you end up feeling sick after one and with the thousands of scare stories around. But the point is they are important in protecting everyone, the person who receives them and those around them. Infant mortality now is much much lower than it was 100 years ago and this is due largely to the wider availability of vaccinations. So especially with the old and tested ones (like MMR), I won't hesitate to have my children receive them. I'd much rather they were feeling poorly for a week than risk them having or passing on a serious illness like mumps, which may leave them infertile or even kill someone else who is vulnerable.
Having said that, I don't know how I feel about newer (=less tested) vaccinations in pregnancy. I was trying to get the h1n1 jab before getting pregnant (no worries there for me) but was refused. I eventually gave up though having realised that by next flu season the virus would have probably mutated and my last jab wouldn't have protected me anyway. But now I don't know what to do. I'm reluctant to accept a vaccine while pregnant, even if it's not a live one. I guess I will do more research into the actual risk of contracting it nearer the flu season.

Hi :) Like I said, it's a personal choice. You are pro-MMR and do see a trend in vaccinations bringing the statistics of desease down. That's totally fine as it's shared by many others out there.

I however, am skeptical on some vaccines as deseases had already been on a massive decline before many of the vaccines were introduced. Hence, I will pick and chose which are suitable and also based on my baby's immune system. Each child is so different, some do well with vaccines, some just don't.

thought provoking stuff ladies!

As I am sure lots of you know I am a nurse in ED, I had my swine flu shot last year- mostly because I felt I had a responisibilty to pmy patients to have it. I personally was not too concerned about getting swine flu but I look after a lot of patients who are immuno compromised and would feel terrible if I passed it onto someone who it would effect more and potentially be fatal. Having said that I was exposed to several patients who had the virus before I was vaccinated and not always while wearing a mask and did not contract the illness so maybe I was immune anyway?! I wont be receiving the vaccine while pregnant though because no resaerch has been done into it in pregnant women.

I do firmly believe in the importance of other vaccines though including the MMR which has been disproven to have any link to learning difficulties. I have seen a stark rise in the number of people having measles and mumps since the big debate a few years back and have nursed a number of people who have ended up with in intensive care and those who have become infertile as a result of these illnesses.

It is a personal choice though...

I would far prefer my son to have a bad reaction to a vaccine for a week and then not get three diseases, one of which, measles, is particularly damaging.

There are risks to vaccines but the mass vaccination programmes are designed that the risk of the vaccine in the population is much lower in probability and severity than the risk of the disease(s) it prevents. It might have been you or your child that is that 1 in a million which is a terrible shame but these things are not predictable and in a close-living society as we have today we have to consider the common good.

As for H1N1. Byron had it last year as he had an issue with overproducing snot causing him to be sick in the mornings and went on an inhaler. This put him in the high risk category so he got that jab which also meant a delay to the first MMR as there has to be a month gap. Not sure if I'll get it now I'm pregnant, not sure if it will be offered to me. If it is I'll look into the risks of H1N1 for the baby and decide based on that.

OH! I forgot to include the most important part of my decision lol. I will be getting the h1n1 vaccine, but probaby not while pregnant. I am for sure getting the regular flu vaccine. In addition to good ol' handwashing, fingers out of mouth, covering coughs/sneezes etc..

I'm loving this discussion.. like someone else earlier said, informed discussion is always valuable!

I actually have never gotten a flu shot. I'm not usually around at-risk people and I haven't had the flu in years so didn't want to bother with the shot. Yet I'll be getting the H1N1 shot when they offer it to me, lol.

I'm loving this discussion.. like someone else earlier said, informed discussion is always valuable!

I actually have never gotten a flu shot. I'm not usually around at-risk people and I haven't had the flu in years so didn't want to bother with the shot. Yet I'll be getting the H1N1 shot when they offer it to me, lol.

I think if I were to pick one over the other I would definitly choose the flu shot as individuals who get the "flu" are far more likely to become seriously ill and die then individuals who get H1N1..... Something news generally failed to acknowledge during last flu season.... Think they think people are more inclined to hear about the dreaded swine flu then the regular (though more dangerous) flu....

I think if I were to pick one over the other I would definitly choose the flu shot as individuals who get the "flu" are far more likely to become seriously ill and die then individuals who get H1N1..... Something news generally failed to acknowledge during last flu season.... Think they think people are more inclined to hear about the dreaded swine flu then the regular (though more dangerous) flu....

Interesting... you can do both vaccines, right? I know the flu is more common and widespread than H1N1 was, but we did have a few cases in my area and I know people who ended up hospitalized from the H1N1 and have never known anyone who was hospitalized with the flu unless they had other health issues already. (funny how personal experience colors our/my perspective so much... if I don't know anyone who got H1N1 then it must not be common in my area/etc)

The tough part of all this, is that they will never test things on pregnant women. Nor should they, but it just leaves so many things in the 'unknown' category for those of us who have to make decisions.

I've just posted on another thread about the horrific things that go into the vaccines, like foetus and animal cells... Not something I want in my body!

comments like these are reasons stupid arguments get started. look up your facts before posting

There are far more deaths from normal seasonal flu, by infection rate, not just in total. The issue with H1N1 was that it affected different people than seasonal flu so was unpredictable. It's unusual for a flu to be so dangerous to younger people for example. Usually the elderly, people with lung problems and compromised immune systems are affected with seasonal flu. H1N1 hit small children hard and had a certain degree of very bad attacks.

also i don't think i would have recent vaccines as i don't believe there are enough studies / tests. i guess i wouldn't want to blindly get vaccinated and end up regretting it. however older vaccines like mmr i believe have been proved safe enough for me and my family to recieve. also i have a good immune system every time i've had a cold or flu i recover perfectly within a few days so for ME personally i think the risks outweigh the benefits. for people that are more at risk it's obviously their own decision to do the research needed and work out whether they believe the benefits outweigh the risks for them

i don't know much about swine flu but i thought most people who had it were fine afterwards?

say 1000 people who had normal flu and 1000 who had swine flu i thought there were a lot more affected by normal than swine flu?

I think the issue is that people who get very sick (needing hospitalization) are usually those with other health issues and so the death rate was higher?
With the swine flu, it hit people who normally aren't very vulnerable and hit them harder than a regular flu would?

Thats how I understood it anyway. I knew a few people who got it, were sick for 3 weeks on average and had to make several hospital trips when they got too dehydrated or started to have respiratory issues.

Because my immune system will be compromized with pregnancy, it makes me more cautious and I want the protection since I won't be able to fight off the flu and recover as easily as I would normally be able to. Thats how I see and how I've weighed my risks though.
There won't be more information on the vaccine until more women take it... someone has to be first and I just don't think the potential risk is high enough to scare me off... again, a personal choice though.

The swine flu thing was that the responses were unexpectedly extreme in a small number of people who wouldn't normally be expected to be particularly vulnerable.

I've never had any sort of flu. I very rarely get high temperatures.

The newness of the vaccine is only really a perceived issue anyway. It was still based on normal vaccine preparation that's been used for donkeys.

I refused this and my sons to. I dont trust it and done research before hand. My son has no health problems that would make him vulnerable. I am glad I didnt get the shot for us not just because of this vid though.

Slightly old hun, you don't need shots for everything. My granddad has never had any injections in his life apart from the polo one but he had a allergic reaction which put him off for life, he's never been sick once.

not everyone is the same though... one person may be just fine without vaccines their whole life, but that doesn't mean everyone will.

I also choose to get vaccinated because even if I catch something that doesn't kill me, I couldn't live with myself if I gave it to someone who was more frail and died from it.

oh and I'm pretty sure the risks of getting in your car and driving/riding daily are higher than the risks of something going wrong from a vaccine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->