Would you use a male childminder?

I work in a child care setting and we have both male and female staff.

I would have no problem with a male child carer.

I think male caregivers particularly at large nurseries are a great idea.

There are a lot of men who just drop off the face of the earth and their moms have to work. It would be nice for a positive male role model for the boys in particular.

I answered no. I realise it's sexist and i'm not happy with myself at all for admitting that - BUT the fact is I wouldn't be happy having a man who wasn't family take care of my son (and not even some members of family either)

i chose other, simply because i wouldnt have a male childminder, but i wouldnt have a female one either

Smokey mentioned her experiences with childminders, i myself used to get looked after someone (not reg minder, but in the late 70's early 80's the rules werent there) she also looked after her grandson, she was so nice to him and a total cow to me - i remember him being allowed out to play while i was forced to sit and basically be seen and not heard, she watched bonanza and it bored me to tears

the point really for me is you never truly know what goes on

all mine have been in nursery, where its not impossible for them to be treated 'badly' but certainly a much smaller chance in a bigger setting

Jasmak I am so sorry you went through that. I agree we cant wrap them in cotton wool and keep them from leading a full life to keep them safe. THats why i said i wouldnt give another man the opportunity if it doesnt impact her quality of life. So imo letting a male childminder spend time alone with her is unecessary and she wont be missing out on anything. Just like i wouldnt let her sleep alone in the same room as her uncle (like my sil lets her 3 year old daughter). I guess its trying to protect them within reason, but i wont stop her from having sleep overs or going on school trips.

ozzie- i agree male teachers are great. My favourite teachers at school were men. But i was talking about a male childminder- someone who is left alone with a child.

Exactly, to me a male teacher and a male childminder are nothing alike.
Its not about wraping lo up in cotton wool, in everyday life we use past experiances to determin how we teach and raise our children some are good and somw are bad experiances but thats part of life.
I had bad experiances so i choose to use that as part of future desisions but others have to use thier own judgment

I know plenty of male teachers that I've been alone with :shrug: You can't really pick and choose. What about any male that's left alone with your child?

apart from my husband and very close family members I wouldn't allow my girls with any male alone.

My favorite babysitter when I was young was male. Took care of me from infancy to three years. Taught me to play baseball ;)

My BIL is wonderful with children, but he can rarely babysit because 30 year old single men who loves kids MUST be a pedophile :dohh: They are losing out, the man does not tire out, never gets stressed and can look disaster with a calm eye. I told him he's moving in with us when we finally have a baby :thumbup:

i would be fine with uncles or close family friends watching the girls, but not a male babysitter coming to the house alone with the girls. bathing and changing diapers would make me uncomfortable, if it was a male i didnt know very well. call it what you will but i would not be as uncomfortable if i had boys, i cant explain it, its just the way it is! if it was in a daycare situation or a male teacher than its fine, its when they are in the home doing the "mommy duties" that it makes me uncomfy!:)

Late in the debate here but want to just say, our Childminders are a husband and wife duo so yes, we'd use a male CM because we do already!!! They have 4 grown and children and over 20 years experience and have very long waiting list so demand is high!

While Carmen is still in diapers/potty training, I'd prefer a female childminder (outside of family). Not so much because I wouldn't trust a man, but I think it would just be more comfortable for all involved, and because females would obviously know more about using the potty as a female :haha:.

There are a lot of males I'd definitely trust to mind Carmen if need be, though. My dad, my brother, my uncles, my husband's brothers, my teenage nephew who minds his baby sister all the time, my FIL. My brother also has friends around the house who have known Carmen since she was born, and I've known them all since they were kids and would have no more qualms asking them to baby-sit than I would a young female. And my best friend's husband has watched Carmen along with his own daughters before.

In a nursery, yes i wouldnt mind. But not as a childminder. That being said, i wouldnt use a female childminder either! I personally prefer the nursery environment so its nothing to do with gender, more the environment. Its less one on one in nurseries.

There was a young man working in DD's nursery and i said "Its nice to see men working with children" and they said they used to have more but they never stay long.

I wouldn't use a childminder as I'm a SAHM but gender would not bother me.

No disrespect to anyone, but my answer to the question is i wouldn't use a childminder full stop. I would rather use my friends and family and if one of them happened to be a male then yes i would let him mind them, but i don't think id ever use a child minder x

No disrespect to anyone, but my answer to the question is i wouldn't use a childminder full stop. I would rather use my friends and family and if one of them happened to be a male then yes i would let him mind them, but i don't think id ever use a child minder x

Not everyone has family they would be able to rely on, or friends who are available either :flow: There are many excellent childminders out there. Men included :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->