Would you use a male childminder?

SnuggleMum

Reaction score
A male friend is thinking of becoming a childminder but isn't sure he'd be able to find enough parents willing to use him. Assuming he is as qualified etc as a female childminder, would you use a male childminder?

I definately would consider him :thumbup: i would go off qualifications, recommendations and how they connect with lo, not on gender :)

... Although saying that I struggle leaving her with my sister let alone a stranger :haha:

yes of course. My two are often cared for by a male nursery nurse and they'll have male teachers. So long as he has all the relevant qualifications and i feel my kids respond well to him that's all that matters. The same would go for a female childminder too.

Reminds me of that episode of Friends

"You got a man who's a nanny..you got a manny?" :haha:

Joking aside, some men are better than women with kids. I would definitely consider a man. Whoever was best for the job would get it, regardless of male or female.

Same as above as long as he knew what he was doing and dod it well why not

I honestly dont get this no men thing and alot is over nsppy changes but no-one minds a women changing a boy :shrug:

Mini slight ot rant over :haha:

I would.

I had a male live in nanny for a while when i was young.

Also my dad is a male nursey worker...cant say he hasnt come across alot of hurdles with women/families having issues with hin looking after children...but i think that just coz it not a social norm for sum reason.

There are quite a few 'no' answers but no one stating why. Is it because of diaper changes, or...?

(Not trying to be rude - genuinely curious. I'm surprised how many people have said no!)

I put 'other'. I have used a local guy who is 16 and from a good family and has a good babysitting reputation, and I was a little weirded out at 1st but am fine with it. My MIL however, she freaked out when I told her and started going on and on about molesters etc...
So I would prefer female but if desperate, I'd use a reputable male.

I put no. I think people put no and then dont leave a comment for fear of being jumped upon and shot down. I would have no problems with a male looking after her in a nursery where there are other people around but i would not feel comfortable with a man looking after her by himself. My main concern would be sexual abuse, even though I am well aware that women sexually abuse too and most men wouldnt do anything to harm my little girl. In my line of work i have come across a fair few sexual abuse cases and most perpertrators were men so i think i'm a little paranoid, i'll admit. Anyway bottom line is I wouldnt feel comfortable with it, theres nothing i can do to change that.

Please dont be mean to me!!!

I put no. I think people put no and then dont leave a comment for fear of being jumped upon and shot down. I would have no problems with a male looking after her in a nursery where there are other people around but i would not feel comfortable with a man looking after her by himself. My main concern would be sexual abuse, even though I am well aware that women sexually abuse too and most men wouldnt do anything to harm my little girl. In my line of work i have come across a fair few sexual abuse cases and most perpertrators were men so i think i'm a little paranoid, i'll admit. Anyway bottom line is I wouldnt feel comfortable with it, theres nothing i can do to change that.

Please dont be mean to me!!!

I put no also and totally agree with this. I wouldn't mind at a nursery either, with other people around. Unfortunately sexual abuse happens-mostly by people you would never suspect, and mostly by males. It is horrible because it isn't fair that all males suffer due to the ones who have ruined it for them, but I just couldn't comfortably leave my child alone with a male babysitter.

As long as he got on with my lo, and had all the relevant qualifications, if he was the best person for the job then yes.

I would be vigilant with anyone looking after my child and continuously monitor the situation whether it be male, female or nursery looking after her. It's a sad that a few abusers have made it so being vigilant is necessary but there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->