Would you use a male childminder?

I used to work with a little girl and her father sexually abused her. Her mother had no idea. I suppose what I'm getting at is, even fathers can be sexual abusers too so I don't know how that's any safer. Not saying all are, but using that as an exception isn't really valid. That's just my opinion though.

I think it is valid. Just because her dad could sexually abuse her, doesnt mean i'll give another man the opportunity to do it if, especially if it wont impact on her quality of life. I wonder if more mums of girls feel uncomfortable with a male childminder than mums of boys.

Wouldn't matter to me. Boys or girls. I have worked with many male teachers over the years and they are really good at what they do.

I have to be honest and say no I wouldnt have a male childminder but its purely because of past experiances I just couldnt feel easy with it.
Truth is I wouldnt have any childminder, I had awfull experiances of childminders shouting at me, calling me fat, lazy and useless as a child.
One childminder even sat by while her son and other charge (a girl from my school) kept hitting me, the same childminder would take us out to mcdonalds after picking her son up from swimming and would make me sit there on my own with nothing to eat while she bought everyone else something, she used to make me sit on the boot of the car (one of the open back estate type cares.
One time I found a dead fly in my cabbage and asked if I could leave the cabbage because it was making me heave but she made me eat the whole thing and sat there while I was sobbing and gagging bringing most of it back up but continued to make me eat it.
Another childminder used to make me sit on the staires from the moment we got to her house till my mum came to pick me up, I wasnt allowed in the living room to watch tv with her kids.
I was always too afraid to tell my mum any of this because I didnt want her to feel guilty for having to work.
Must point out though none of these where registured childminders as back then you didnt need to be quilified you just had babysitters.
So I could never put my child through going to a childminders, its my mum, mil, sil or nothing (of course hubby but its not like his childminding hes his father)

Smokey that's terrible, I'm sorry you had to go through such horrible treatment :hugs:

TBH though gender wasn't the issue there (unless I'm wrong it reads like these were women that treated you like that) :flower:

Hearing things like this is exactly why I stick to my opinion that men being worse than women at caring for kids just doesn't sit right :flow:

xx

Smokey that's terrible, I'm sorry you had to go through such horrible treatment :hugs:

TBH though gender wasn't the issue there (unless I'm wrong it reads like these were women that treated you like that) :flower:

Hearing things like this is exactly why I stick to my opinion that men being worse than women at caring for kids just doesn't sit right :flow:

xx

Oh those where just women but the experiances of thier leachy husbands and personal experiance of a uncle has just put me off the idea of a male looking after my child, I know these where not qualified registured people but I cant help how its corrupted my views of childminders both male and female

MY children have had a male childminder, and my daughter will when she goes to full-time daycare. I was sexually abused (by a relative). Chances of your child getting abused at home or with a relative is MUCH higher than a stranger. Teach your children proper names for their genitals, and make sure they feel comfortable talking to you. You can't bubble wrap kids and keep them from all possible males...that could be camping trips with family, sleepovers with friends, overnight trips for school and sports...there is walking to and from school, teachers....there is tonnes of "possibilites"...where does it end???? I am not going to worry about a male preschool teacher, that doesn't work alone, who has a criminal record check, and who genuinely enjoys children. Perhaps because I work with males alot...through the police, but before that, as a lifeguard/swim instructor, and see men holding children, playing with them. I see men in a caring, nurturing enviornment, and my own husband is the most caring, nurturing SAHD (who used to teach children swimming). My own sexual abuse was a close family relative...as MOST cases of abuse are (obviously not all). But, you have to ask yourself, where does this fear end, where does it take over your life, and where do you pass your, possibly irrational fears, onto your children??? Anyways, that is just MY opinion.

I would use a male childminder, it's never crossed my mind not to.

Jasmak I am so sorry you went through that. I agree we cant wrap them in cotton wool and keep them from leading a full life to keep them safe. THats why i said i wouldnt give another man the opportunity if it doesnt impact her quality of life. So imo letting a male childminder spend time alone with her is unecessary and she wont be missing out on anything. Just like i wouldnt let her sleep alone in the same room as her uncle (like my sil lets her 3 year old daughter). I guess its trying to protect them within reason, but i wont stop her from having sleep overs or going on school trips.

ozzie- i agree male teachers are great. My favourite teachers at school were men. But i was talking about a male childminder- someone who is left alone with a child.

I've had male teachers where I've been alone with them :shrug:

yeah, I don't think it's a big deal. My husband is at home ALONE with the baby...he is male.

Male does not = abuser. It's a sad world we live in that people link those two. Really sad.

I fully agree and I think it's very sad that people automatically think a male in a childcare profession MUST be an abuser. What has society come to and what has the media engrained in our heads? :growlmad:

Exactly. A man loves children, and all of a sudden he is a pedophile and creepy. That is just wrong. Very wrong.

Poor men. They would never have the discussion about whether or not they would be comfortable with a female caregiver.

Possibly not but ask them if they would be happy using a female mechanic for example, men are just as sexist

Yeah like in the Coca Cola zero advert :rofl:.

I don't use childcare, but I don't have a problem with a man looking after my children when it's someone I'm comfortable with. I teach my children about their bodies belonging to them and that they have the right to say no. I feel it's important that children are taught how to stay safe and tell if something does happen. I don't want my daughters growing up afraid of men/strangers etc.

Bit different but my sons carer is male and takes him swimming etc etc and I dont have any issues at all.

My husband, not knowing what we are talking about, answered 'why wouldnt I?' for using a female mechanic. I guess my hubby isnt sexist. Neither am I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->