Would You Vacation Internationally While Preggers?

BabiesOneDay

Reaction score
So we're in the USA, and I'd really like to take the kids to Europe next summer, but our baby plans could conflict with this. I don't think we'll start trying until the beginning of the year-Spring, but this could put me in the 1st/2nd trimester if we're lucky when we'd want to travel abroad. Would you do it? Maybe I'm just being too cautious?

I have done it. My husband and I flew from Texas to Thailand when I was 9 weeks pregnant. We came back when I was almost 12 weeks.

Wear compression hose and walk around often. Your OB possibly wouldn't recommend you going if you would be high risk but I'm high risk for a clotting disorder and still flew with permission from my OB. Just be cautious.

Yes, definitely, actually I did a 3-week overseas work trip when I was in weeks 7-9 and it was fine. 2nd trimester is probably the easiest time to travel as that's when you'll likely feel the best. I was sucking on sweets to try not to feel nauseous and in bed by 7pm every night when I was away because 1st tri is a bit rough! Most women feel relatively good in 2nd tri and that makes traveling a lot easier. But yes, I definitely wouldn't scare me off travel as long as you're otherwise healthy. I live in the UK now (though am originally American) so went back to the U.S. to attend a conference and have some meetings. The flight was about 11 hours each way (to/from the West Coast). It's totally doable, just give yourself lots of time to deal with jet lag and make sure to plan in some early nights as you'll likely need to rest a lot more than you normally would (maybe let your partner take the kids out while you order room service and take a nap if you need to). And if you need any medical care, the health care in Europe is fantastic (in my experience, better even than in the U.S.). Just make sure you have travel health insurance or that your insurer will cover emergency care overseas just in the very unlikely case, you do need to see a doctor.

I'm in Australia and travelled 5.5hrs to Bali for two weeks from 24-26 weeks. I felt so good the whole holiday, it was the best thing for me at the time.

I went on a sailing holiday in Turkey when I was 7 weeks. No problems

I flew out to Mexico when I was just about 27 weeks this pregnancy, and went to New York when I was 23 weeks last pregnancy and had a lovely time! I think the type of holiday you have can have an effect, mine was an all inclusive beach sort of relaxing holiday this time, I don't think I'd have been comfortable walking around cities all day later in my pregnancy.

I went to Cyprus when I was 17-19 weeks pregnant with my son. Was fine obviously!

Yes why on earth not! I went to Tenerife for 2 weeks at 25-27wks pregnant. Never even considered not going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->