x

I'm thinking the same career I'm not worried about during the day it's the night shifts that need to be done to pass the course more regarding to OH working all day then I do nights and the next day I'd have LO to look after, don't want to put them into nursery if pos when I want to spend time with them etc.

I am going back to University in September and when my baby is born I will be taking no more than 2/3 weeks off before going back otherwise I will fall behind too much!

I was at college until last June doing my A Levels, DD was born literally a week before I was due to start college and I only started 2 days late and those were the "induction" days.

I'm not going to lie, it is hard. But I wasn't going to give up on who I wanted to be- A) because I wanted my own life and B) because I wanted to prove people wrong. You will need a strong support network- not just during the day, but what about when you have reading to do, essays to write, revising to do? My family, OHs family and my OH had to make a lot of sacrifices for me to be able to do it- but I couldn't be happier.

I am going to university in September to study to become a Doctor. My oldest will be in Nursery full time (15 hours of it will be free through the gov funding) and my mum/OHs mum/OHs sister and my sister will split up looking after the baby when they are born and looking after my oldest the rest of the time during the day, and then OH will look after them at night.

It's going to be tough for several years, but in the long run we know it is going to be for the best. I'm not made to be a SAHM for good.

I'm doing nursing rather than midwifery, but I'd imagine the hours are pretty similar. I finished first year before having my eldest daughter, and I was just over halfway through 3rd year when I had my second.

I won't lie to you, it is HARD. But in some ways, it's better. I'm more focused now, and I have to be dedicated about getting the academic work done. When on placement, I tend to feel the separation more. I went back when Roo was 11 months old, and it was straight onto placement with long days. If I had back-to-back shifts, I basically wouldn't see Roo for those days as I was out before she was up and home after she was in bed.

The thing is, I love nursing. And I know that in the end, it'll mean a better life for my children as it's a skill I could take anywhere. Also, I know that the course is only 3 years, so it's not as though it lasts forever.

Not got personal experience, but a friend of ours started her midwifery when her DS was 9 months old...... She was lucky as her mum looked after her DS, so didn't have to worry about childcare at all....... She said it was hard whilst she was doing it... But it was only 3 years and now her and her family are enjoying the fab job she has.....

Go for it......

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->