x

I had an emergency Csection 3 weeks ago!
My waters broke and I was checked and sent home and told to come in when I was in established labour or if I didn't go in to labour within 24 hrs to call, so I had gone in to labour but not that far into it and at 24hrs I called and went in. By that time both mine and baby's heart rates were really high which indicates infection as baby is no longer protected after waters go!
After some monitoring I was dressed in a hospital gown only with nothing under and just some support stockings to prevent dvt/blood clot
I was taken to theatre on my own and they did the spinal block, then my husband was aloud in!
They sprayed some cold liquid and poked me from belly down to my toes and kept asking if that felt cold/hurt and also asked if I was able to lift my legs up all to test if the spinal block was working correctly.
Then they began and I could feel a lot of pressure tugging etc. But no pain!
There were about 10-12 people in room and I had those sticky things with wires on my chest to monitor heart rate and a bp cuff on my arm that inflated every couple of minutes to test my bp.
I had intravenous fluids and antibiotics being pumped through my hand but this may be due to the high heart rate and also due to during the operation I was losing more blood than normal..in total 1000ml which they said is double the usual but not bad enough to need a blood transfusion.
I was told after that from the moment the surgeon touch knife to skin my baby was out within 3-4mins so that again will be because it was an emergency one!
They showed me her for a second over the sheet/screen that was up then whisked her away.
Once she was checked over my husband was aloud to hold her and he sat by me but I was unable to hold her died to my whole upper body vigorously shaking as a side effect from the anaesthetic which apparently is very common..I also felt very sick and thirsty from it!
Then unfortunately baby stated grunting and she was taken away to nicu and I wasn't able to go see her and hold her till the next morning as I wasn't allowed to leave recovery untill my own heart rate went down so no skin to skin or breastfeeding! But I'm sure you will get to as your planned c section I imagine and hope for you will be much more calm and smooth :) good luck!

I don't remember a lot from my section but I'll see what I can answer for you . . .

Before going to theatre I was given stockings to wear and a nasty nasty drink (seriously nasty lol) mine was an emcs so I wasn't too prepared as far as what to wear goes. I was given a catheter before going down to theatre, from questions raised in here it sea most are given their catheter after the spinal but it wasn't painful anyway so no big deal really.

I went to theatre wearing only a vest and nothing else :dohh: classy!

Once I got to theatre I was given a canula and the spinal. They did put some stuff through the canula but to be honest I've no idea what it was. The spinal wasn't painful but it felt like electric shock going through my back. Once the spinal was in place they lay me down and put the sheet up I think (not too sure on the order of things there) then I think dh came in.

They sprayed something very cold on my stomach to make sure it was numb. I remember feeling very concerned because I could feel the spread all the way across my stomach, it wasnt cold but I could feel it clearly. They promised that was fine but I wasn't trusting them :haha: they were right of course, I didn't feel any pain at all.

It took probably 10 minutes for my son to be born from the start of the section - not long at all. We didn't have any skin to skin but they wrapped him up and put him on my chest. Unfortunately I couldn't focus on him because he was so close and it made me vomit so they took him away and gave him to dh.

I don't know what they put through the canula but I felt very space and fell asleep a few times - I assume they gave me something to make me feel like that, it scared me and I didn't like it.

Not long after Xander was born they send dh to wait for me in the recovery room while they finished up. It probably rook 45 mins to sew everything up after the baby was born. Xander stayed in theatre with me - the midwife held him and talked to me until it was over.

They gave me a pain killer suppository but I was numb so I didn't give a monkeys :rofl:

I was in recovery for about an hour - I don't really remember that time but nothing interesting happened I'm sure. After that I was moved to a ward, but then it was 9-10pm so dh was kicked out straight away and I was left alone. The midwife made me some tea and toast and that was that.

Once I got to the wars the midwife checked on me fairly often throughout the night,if was sucks in bed until lunch time thr next day because I was waiting for the catheter to be removed, but as soon as it was out I was up and about.

I never did have any skin to skin but it had no impact on breastfeeding at all. The first night was hard but only because I didn't know what was supposed to happen. Xander fed like a champ, lost a little weight but we'll within ideal limits (he may have lost 7oz or so but because of his size he could have lost up to 1lb with no concerns) he fed for almost two years so it definitely didn't have an impact

Oh yes! There was a LOT of pressure. They said it would be like someone washing up in my stomach but I felt like they were jumping on it!

Also as pp said I was shaking so much I was hitting myself in the face

I've had 2 sections. My second was planned and went like this...

7am: arrived at hospital. Sat in a waiting room with my OH and some other people waiting to be called up.
1pm: called into an office area with a nurse. Changed into a gown, put on stockings (very tight!!!) to prevent blood clots. OH changed into scrubs. More waiting around.
1:45: met with my midwife and her student midwife in a sort of pre-op area. Hugged and cried a bit. Shown to a bed. Midwife shaved my pubes...I forgot to.

By 1:55: in theater. Midwives and oh seated in front of me. Spinal inserted. Laid down quickly. Operating table is very hard and narrow! Big lights above it. People bustling about. OH situated by my head on a stool. Blood pressure cuff on one arm, fluids pumped into the other. Checked for numbness with ice. Catheter inserted. Curtain up just under rib level. Spoken to kindly by operation thearer staff frequently.
2:05 baby is born, held above curtain, quickly checked over while someone films. Brought back to me for a cuddle and tries to breastfed right away but it's too awkward lying down.

OH takes baby and waits in recovery, I join him in about 40 minutes. Am there for an hour and enjoy skin to skin with baby the entire time.

My tip for anyone a little squeamish, you can usually see your open stomach reflected in the operation lights. Might make you feel faint to watch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->