Xx

We are primary one here and while the teacher would comfort a child who was upset they wouldn't go to the extent of carrying them about, in fact they wouldn't even do that in nursery here

I think reception is our equivalent to primary one. I'd say no the kids wouldn't be hugged and carried. They are too big for a start. I'm sure the teacher comforts them in a different way quick wipe the tears away and move on and distract. That's how I assume it is anyway

They are comforterted in many ways, hugged, distracted, made to laugh, sat in knees. Not often carried they in the main on average 2-3 stone, no one wants to risk their back.

I asked my DD and she said that the teaching assistant hugs people when they cry

No they don't here in reception, I asked my lo as well and she said "miss gives her a snuggle"

I am a reception teacher and generally no we don't hug (and never carry the children or sit them on our knee) although we always comfort a child that needs it. I would hug a really, really distressed child though if I thought it would help to calm them.

I've definitely seen teachers at my sons school comforting children by giving them a hug and sitting them on their knees. They won't pick them up though, far too heavy!

A lot of the kids tend to get very attached to one support teacher as even thou they have a few per class in infants 1 of them moves up the classes and stays with them where as the others dot about the years so they tend to hug as the kids ask for hugs. I have seen kids in juniors still asking teacher for hugs. They don't go excessive and let the kids have a hug every time they walk over but the odd one or if they are upset yes.

We have 2 Reception classes (normal intake but split into smaller classes to help settling in), 1 teacher didn't do comfort at all whereas DD's did hugs, sits on knees and cuddles. It's so dependent on the teacher I think and luckily DD was with one that suited her as she likes comfort.

Ours do - my daughter is very small for her age and has a few issues, her TA in reception last year (she's just started year 1) would pick her up and hug her most mornings and I would regularly see the teacher with a child on her knee, holding their hand, arm round them etc.

I personally think that although the teachers have to be careful these days, I think it's lovely, all my girls love hugs and I would hate to think they couldn't get one when they needed one.

They don't in Lucas' school. They definitely did in nursery (same school), but I think more kids just needed it in nursery - I know Lucas did :lol: they had to carry him away from me every morning that first term.

I peeped through nursery window one day when my son was upset when I left him. The teacher was sat on the floor with him hugging him, but there are 2 teachers. I'm not sure she'd have been able to had there it's been just her, but it made me feel better to know they weren't just leaving him upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->