Year 2 reading age (6/7 years)

LoraLoo

Pregnant with a Rainbow
Reaction score
As the title says- on the Oxford reading tree books, what colour/stage is your child at?

I read in DD class and it ranges from Level 3 (Yellow) up to free reading but the majority of the year are between levels 8-10.

My son didnt have a reading level in year 2 (primary 3) but his friends ranged from level 2/3 to level 12/13. He is in primary 4 (year 3) now and the reading levels in his class range from level 4/5 to level 14/15.

Sabby, is the reading level the stage of book that they are on? Paige is in primary 1, so no idea what is normal lol

most are colours and linked to oxford reading levels

Nope, just says stage 3.
It does say down the side 'Book band 4 blue'

Omar is in PY1 he's in book band 7 - turquoise

Joshua isn't on a band/stage, the School put him straight on to 'free reading' when he started in reception.

In the Y2 class room, there are books starting from Stage 3.

Nope, just says stage 3.
It does say down the side 'Book band 4 blue'

She is level 4 in Oxford reading tree levels, the book she is reading may not be one of the oxford reading books thats why it says stage 3 as well as the blue band.

Thank you for the responses, seems like theres quite a range.

Amy is 6 and on orange/turquoise (stage 6 and 7?) and treads these fluently. She loves reading at home, and spends a lot of time writing (usually letters to us all)

I suppose I was just a bit surprised to see on her progress report that they've marked her below expected progress, attainment and effort for maths, reading and writing. She enjoys her homework and needs very little help.

They said she needs to work on her letter formation. Personally I think this is pretty bloody good for 6?!

My son struggled with the work at school so I'm not one of those parents that can't see when their child is struggling, but Amy has always seemed to have taken it all in her stride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 43
LoraLoo, I wouldn't be too concerned at what they put her progress as at the moment.

Joshua's Teacher was explaining that there has been massive change in the curriculum in Y2 but the department responsible for the change hasn't released what the benchmark scores are so the Teachers don't actually know where to put children (& won't know until after the School year as ended.) They are probably being over cautious.

They put Joshua at 'Good/Attained' but he is the highest achieving child in his class. The teacher wanted to put him in the top bracket but wasn't allowed to because she doesn't what they have to achieve to get into it.

My DD is 6 and in year one. She's on orange but I'm not sure what number that is?

The teacher wanted to put him in the top bracket but wasn't allowed to because she doesn't what they have to achieve to get into it.

A similar thing happens in secondary school. It's so frustrating, we can't put kids at the top level because that means that they have achieved everything. There is no way of putting them as on track to achieve everything, it is just "secure" or "consolidating" or "developing" - you cant say they are secure until the end of the course. They are all technically developing until the course is completed, but if it is just the short reports with the numbers (we call them "tracking reports") all the parents of bright kids will call up and ask why their kid isn't at the top level. The wording is beyond frustrating! They only get one full report and one parents night per year where we can properly write comments (not that it is physically possible for me to write more than one report for each kid per year ...!) so these 12-weekly reports are meaningless!

I wouldn't worry about it. Her writing looks great for 6 and if she is confidently reading the books set I would maybe see how she does with a higher level. If she is enjoying reading at the current ability, just leave her to do so. At 6, in my opinion, it is more important that they develop a love for reading rather than moving up the levels really quickly.

LoraLoo, I wouldn't be too concerned at what they put her progress as at the moment.

Joshua's Teacher was explaining that there has been massive change in the curriculum in Y2 but the department responsible for the change hasn't released what the benchmark scores are so the Teachers don't actually know where to put children (& won't know until after the School year as ended.) They are probably being over cautious.

They put Joshua at 'Good/Attained' but he is the highest achieving child in his class. The teacher wanted to put him in the top bracket but wasn't allowed to because she doesn't what they have to achieve to get into it.

Same here. The teacher also said that cant say amymore because until the end of term they havent actually been taught everything they need to know and therefore have not proven they can do it (to the teacher)

Thank you for the responses, seems like theres quite a range.

Amy is 6 and on orange/turquoise (stage 6 and 7?) and treads these fluently. She loves reading at home, and spends a lot of time writing (usually letters to us all)

I suppose I was just a bit surprised to see on her progress report that they've marked her below expected progress, attainment and effort for maths, reading and writing. She enjoys her homework and needs very little help.

They said she needs to work on her letter formation. Personally I think this is pretty bloody good for 6?!

My son struggled with the work at school so I'm not one of those parents that can't see when their child is struggling, but Amy has always seemed to have taken it all in her stride.

Her writing looks perfect for her age to me I dont know what they are talking about. It looks the same as my DD and she got marked at expected level. It looks a lot better than some I have seen

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->