Year 2 reading age (6/7 years)

Thank you. I wasn't at all concerned until I saw the progress report.
From speaking to some of the mums, it seems The majority of the year 2 children have all got similar reports to Amys too. They've had a lot of teacher swapping going on this year so I wasn't sure if that was the reason or not.
I think it was the effort part that particularly bothered me because she does really try.

They push them hard don't they, I didn't do joined up writing till at least yr 3/4

DD is in year 1 and is currently on book band Oxford level 9. She is advanced with her reading as started reading herself before school. Her books are so long and it does take a long time to get through her weekly books that they send them home with, plus the discussions that come after reading.

They also make them write in cursive handwriting from reception and DD has the hang of this now.

My son's (6 yrs old) in year 1 and on Orange (not sure on the level?). I don't know if that's good or not but he's enjoying reading and we try not to push him. I gather they're being pushed hard as it is now. His teacher's really annoyed about it all!

My year 2, 6 year old is on White/silver books. Not sure where that fits into Oxford but is ahead most of her class. She could read more difficult books but our school likes them to have read a vast majority of a colour before moving them on.

Tbh I just let her read at home, what she wants, the schools books ar not the best anyway.

Daisy is 6 and is given Oxford Reading Tree level 11 which is lime although she generally free reads. I don't bother with her school reading books so much now she is such a confident reader and she reads other stuff to me at home, for example she has just finished Matilda. Reading has always been her strength and she could read before starting school so is advanced. I am a teacher and would say an average Year 1 child at this point in the year would be on level 6 or 7 (orange or turquoise). My little boy is 4 and starts reception in September and is currently reading ORT level 2, which is red.

we dont have reading levels here... they just have one book each year which is a collection of stories starting with simple 3 word sentences without punctation to short stories and short poems. from y2 it is one big book with normal book font writing full of short stories , poems and some one page short stories.

6, nearly 7, year old in Y2. Hasn't been taking school books home since about October and we're just reading her own books. I think she's technically in the lime reading group at school but it's not something the teacher has mentioned to us. She just said she's doing fine and there were no concerns at the last parent teacher evening.

A lot of my daughters class are on lime. Daughter is a free reader

Amelia's 5, 6 in July & in Year 1 and is on gold band stage 9 I think it is, she loves reading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->