Yearly pap smears don't test for some infertility causing problems.

Blue12

icsi miracle xo
Reaction score
*I have been having yearly pap tests that consistently showed negative. My fertility clinic did a pap test including some "infertility smear tests" that are not included in the regular test.*

I just got back my results and I showed positive on two tests. Both cause infertility and can be corrected with antibiotics - but since I have had the problem so long it has ravaged and damaged my tubes. I still have to take the antibiotics and have tubes dealt with, then ivf will be my route.

Has anyone else had this?

I get annual pap smears. Never had any problems, but I know there are a few infections (STDs) that can cause scarring throughout your reproductive organs. That is why it is so important to get annual pap smears. Good luck! Don't lose hope yet!

This is the crazy part. I get anual pap smears too - but these particular tests are not a part of the regular pap smear - only done once infertility occurs, but not all doctors do these infertitlity tests!!!! Although these can be from std's they can also develop without stds such as what happened in my case.

That's weird. Do you mind me asking what exactly you were positive for?

I thought that the regular smear only tests for abnormal cells caused by the human papilloma virus*- the one that causes cervical cancer. The STD testing for various diseases is similar to a smear as it scrapes the cervix but the cells are analysed for STDs ( chlamidia etc) that might cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease which could, if left untreated, cause scarring and tubal blockage...hmmmmm

One is called ureaplasma it has cause me the most damage.

Brumbar: that might be true, but ever since I started getting my lovely annual exams they have always done both. I know this because I always get a card with a password and phone number to call 2 weeks later with a recording from my doctor that says "No abnormal cells, negative for chlamydia, syphilis, etc" so I guess my doctor is different!

I have never heard of ureaplasma. I will have to look that up. I hope everything works out for you!

Yeah just from what the doctor said to me it is not a test for std's or regular pap smear but completely separate - an infertility smear.

Just in case anyone has come to unexplained infertility or unexplained recurrent loss - this can cause it.

Very interesting indeed. Never even heard of such a thing, but I'll be mentioning this to my new doc.
Thanks for the post.
P

I just hope it helps someone. At least we can all do here is learn from one another and help one another.

Thanks for sharing Blue !
I have a strong suspicion I'll be seeing an FS soon so I'll be sure to add this to my list of questions.
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->