Yeast infection AKA Thrush-Which medicine would you take?

VALiz

Reaction score
I hope this isn't too long....
I'm 12w3d. I went to the Dr. with a YI or thrush to you UK ladies early in April. They gave me a prescription for something called Terconazole but also said I could do a 7 day OTC treatment. Well I did the 7 day OTC treatment and it didn't go away.

I called the office and they said to now try the prescription. So I filled the prescription. Inside the box of the prescription was a very scary warning about tests on rats and rabbits and some skeletal abnormalities at a certain dosage and that the medicine shouldn't be taken in the first trimester unless a Dr. felt the benefits outweighed the risks.

I didn't take it for a couple of days and after talking to my husband, I decided to start taking it. I was 11w4d when I started the meds. Fast forward to this past Monday, I had a routine appointment. I'm still having symptoms of a YI and they tested me at the office and said I still had the infection with only a couple days of the Terconazole left. I still have two more applications for today and tomorrow.

At this point, I had gotten myself so worked up about the side effects and I was kicking myself for even starting this medication due to the birth defects, I started crying in the office. They assured me they prescribe this medicine to everyone and have never had any problems. The Dr. was going to prescribe me another round of Terconazole but due to a miscommunication she didn't. She also told me I wasn't in the first trimester any longer at 12 weeks, but I don't agree that 12 weeks is the 2nd trimester. They also said an OTC med was unlikely to be effective at this point.

My question is, would you call for another prescription of the Terconazole or would you take a 7 day OTC course to keep everything at bay until I safely thought I was in the 2nd trimester and then if I was still having problems call in for the Terconazole? Meaning, I may be taking 21 days of meds if things didn't work out.

I have also been trying apple cider vinegar baths, blow drying my lady bits and I've decided to cut out all sugar to help. I also eat yogurt twice a day.

If you're still with me, thanks so much for your help!

Since you are uncomfortable with the prescription, I would do the OTC. You mentioned cutting down on sugar, does this mean you are eating plain yogurt? Since you know about ACV you probably
also know you can use yogurt on your lady parts and it is as effective as the OTC meds? And definitely safer than the prescription. I prefer to drink goat milk kefir instead of yogurt BC kefir has more probiotics. Know this is a common problem in pregnancy. Hope you are able to get it under control in a way you are comfortable with.

I've had thrush coming up to 3 weeks now. Here, the usual treatment is a combination of a pill and an external cream. We are not allowed to take the pill. We also have a pessary, inserted into the vagina, as a replacement for the pill though - that is safe for us. Sadly, my doctor, for some reason, didn't see fit to give me that... so I've suffered through with the cream and will be calling soon to ask for the pessary.

Do you have the pessary there?

I went out and bought plain, Greek yogurt today. I was able to eat it but gagged it down. Maybe an acquired taste? LOL But I will continue on with it. I had been eating flavored yogurt previously. I had heard about yogurt on the outside. I had also heard that people were freezing blocks of yogurt in maybe an ice cube tray and inserting that. Maybe I could try that at bed time? I haven't used it yet since I have been using the prescribed medicine. I also didn't know it was as effective as the OTC medicines. That's great!

Not sure what a pessary is. The creams I'd been prescribed are inserted vaginally with an applicator. We also do have something that is like a small egg that you can insert vaginally. However, we don't have that in the 7 day treatments which is what was recommended to me.

I started my very reduced sugar diet today so hopefully if I can get this under control, that will help. This has really bummed me out and I actually stopped telling people about our good news. Only my husband's family and some friends know. I haven't gotten around to telling mine yet. We just started telling people this past Saturday.

Glad to hear you switched to plain. I actually prefer plain yogurt, but I have read online that if you need it sweetened a little bit using a little honey is okay BC our body processes it differently than other sugars so it is okay when battling yeast.

I have also read about freezing the plain yogurt. Using a disposable glove, put some in the finger, freeze and voilà, it is suppository shaped. I have not done the frozen yogurt, but I have used it externally and it helped me.

Good luck!

Do you have a product called femdophilus there? It is a refrigerated probiotic specific for vaginal issues. My Dr said it was safe to use during pregnancy, and its much better than what you can get from yogurt. I haven't used it for thrush, but know people who had. It would probably be good to take to prevent one in the future if the medicine does end up clearing it up. Good luck!!

Thanks for the suggestion Stranjegirl! I might check out my vitamin shoppe today. I bet they carry it.

Thanks for the suggestion Stranjegirl! I might check out my vitamin shoppe today. I bet they carry it.

Oops thought you were the UK! Yes vitamin shoppe has it in the refrigerated section, pink and white bottle, and whole foods carries it! If it doesn't clear it up, it is great for preventing!

i was given cream and pill to insert after few weeks of thrush was gone in 48hrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->