Yes or No to Epidural

I would just say go in with an open mind. I wanted a drug free birth but in the end was induced and could just not cope after 2 days of contractions and no sleep. The epi was amazing and meant that i could actually relax in order for my cervix to dilate. I'm sure that without it I would have had more interventions as i would have been too tired to push! Xx

With our first I went in with an open mind - I was so tired after 2 days early labour and no sleep, I took the epidural and that was amazing.. This time around I want to try manage the pain better and try sleep more during early stages. However if I need it afain, ill just do it :)

Only things I disliked were the catheter for weeing and not feeling if I was pushing or not.

For me? - no never again. I had one with my daughter in the very early stages due to being induced on syntocinon. I like to feel everything im doing, the body naturally is more capable of giving birth when standing or squatting, its how were made to give birth.

I found gas and air absolutely amazing though.

A lot of posters have said they couldn't feel anything while they were pushing. I think it depends on the type of epi you get, check with your doctor and find out about the types offered where you will be delivering. I had a button to control how much pain control I was getting. When it came time to push I just stopped pushing the button as much so it just took the edge off and I could still feel while I was pushing.

When I first found out I was pregnant I was adamant I was going to get an epidural. Then I saw a woman have one on TV and the noise the needle made when it went in her back just freaked me out ._. Now I've decided I'm going to try and have a natural birth :) I was always interested in a water birth but never felt brave enough, now I want to at least try, and if I get to the point where I feel I need to get out and get an epi, by that point I'll be in so much pain I hopefully won't care about the noise the needle makes :)

I didn't want one, but when I had the hormone drip and it was at the max the mw asked if I wanted one, I said yes at that moment but the anaesthetist wasn't available and then when the mw asked later I didn't want it then. Looking back I'm glad I didn't but if I did have any more babies I wouldn't rule it out.

In my experience you just can't plan ahead, you have no idea what it is going to be like. I had full strength contractions from 3cm, with only a couple of seconds break inbetween, I coped for about 6 hours, but was told i was still only 5cm so got an epidural. The epidural is absolutely amazing when you have been in agony for hours, i loved it. But I would recommend you give it your best shot without but don't be afraid to have one if you need to :)

I did not have an epidural but had a spinal instead right at the time of delivery and it was great (though 4 months on i still have a numb outer thigh), i think next time i will manage with gas and air since i got to 10cm on that anyway, unless i need forceps again or threatened c-section like we had with LO, in which case i would consider the spinal

I'm leaving that decision up to the time, though I'm still a little ticked off that they don't offer any real alternatives. So, if I turn out to need one, I'll get one, but only when I'm good and ready (somewhat claustrophobic and I hate tubes) or if there's actually some medical reason for it.

I would just say go in with an open mind. I wanted a drug free birth but in the end was induced and could just not cope after 2 days of contractions and no sleep. The epi was amazing and meant that i could actually relax in order for my cervix to dilate. I'm sure that without it I would have had more interventions as i would have been too tired to push! Xx

I was the same! Planned for drug free then ended up being induced at 42 weeks two days of contractions.. no sleep.. then theu started the drip on the third day. They couldnt get epi in as i was so swollen so i had just gas and air and after 12 hours of back to back contractions i ended up with an emcs at 8cm. I think an epi would have helped me. Deffo just keep an open mind although it is good to weigh up the pros and cons. X

Personally I didn't want one because I hated the idea of not being able to get out of bed.

But as PP have said I went in with an open mind and if at any point during my next labour I feel I can't take the pain anymore then I will have one.

I don't want one a) it can make labour last longer b) I wanna be able to go home as soon as possible after the birth c) some women need a catheter after and that idea freaks me out!!!

But who knows how we will feel at the time!!!

I would plan to do it without one but to keep an open mind.

I have a bit of a hospital phobia myself and for me, I felt less anxious about doing it naturally. An epidural was just more medical intervention which stressed me out. I didn't want to subject myself to the possible complications and I DEFINITELY didn't want to increase my chances of a c-section (the idea of surgery freaks me out). But all of that being said...I still kept an open mind and decided that if I felt like I needed an epidural I would get one.

I didn't end up getting it, in the moment I really felt like it would just slow things down and I wanted to get it over with.

I've never had one. I had to have a catheter with my two eldest because of the position of my bladder meant that after a certain point I couldn't pee, it wasn't very nice! With my two eldest I had a cannula in my hand as per normal hospital policy in those days and that made me anxious enough, I have an extreme needle phobia even when in labour. I wouldn't choose to have one if I could help it. They put in blood pressure lowering medications along with the pain blocking ones and these can cause blood pressure to lower too much and for mum to start passing out and distress in baby, most women I know who have had to have forceps or a c section after having an epidural it is due to this xx

Theres no way you can plan for something like that. I have never had one. Of course read the pros and cons beforehand, but i really dont think you can, or should make a firm decision beforehand.

I wasn't planning on getting one, but kept an open mind. Good thing I did because I had to be given oxytocin since my water broke but contractions wouldn't start. I was only 1 cm, it took 7 hours to get to 4 cm, and I had 100% back labor. So I ended up getting the epi, and honnestly, I'm really glad I did!! I could still move and get up, but I decided to sleep a little instead. It sped up the labor; I went from 4 cm to 10 cm in 2 1/2 hours and only pushed for 30 minutes. No complications, but I needed an episio (would have gotten one even without the epi). DS was born healthy and scored 7 and 9 for Apgar:thumbup: I keep a very good memory of my first labor and birth:winkwink:

With my second child I was in painful labour for 25 hours before asking for an epidural, the main reason was I was exhausted and scared about not having enough energy to get the baby out. Once the epidural was in I could have kissed the aneathatist!! I felt much calmer, more comfortable and could relax. Not being able to move about wasn't an issue as I had found I didn't really want to once the pain was strong.

This time I am going to keep an open mind, but I have to admit after the relief that the epidural gave me last time I am finding it very tempting!!

Good luck whatever you choose xx

I was definite that i didn't want one and did both of my labours on just g&a. Neither were easy but i was glad i didn't have one.
I've heard too many bad stories about having epi's and i wasn't willing to risk it.
I wanted to feel that i was in control of my labour and by not having feeling then i wouldn't of been in control. If you have an epi then you have to be 100% sure of your midwife etc. They are the ones that tell you when to push and if they tell you to push at the wrong time it can cause problems. One lady i know had an epi and has been on crutches since due to the fact that the midwife was tell her to push at the wrong time and the baby wasn't in the right position and therefore it pushed her pelvis out.

Really does depend on the person. I've read a lot of good reasons for people not preferring one. I did get one and will most definitely get one again. I made it to 7cm, but couldn't take the pain anymore at that point. I couldn't move, speak or open my eyes. My body was so tense, it was unreal. The epi relieved all of it. I relaxed and honestly enjoyed the rest of my birth. For me it was a great option. I was aware of the risks, which were so miniscual, so I was ok with it. If you have a fear of needles, or don't want to be restricted to the bed, it might not be for you. These things didn't bother me. My son was brought into a nice relaxed environment, as opposed to the misery and chaos that was going on at 7 cm. This is only my experience though. A lot of other people manage the pain without the epi and do well. That was just not my experience at all lol.

I chose not to have one because it can be associated with the need for intervention but I ended up with an emergency forceps delivery anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->