Yes or No to Epidural

xomommylovexo

Reaction score
I've read both pro's and con's to getting an epidural. My initial thought was do it natural, no epidural and the main reason I thought that was so there are no side effects to baby but I suffer from anxiety and lots of heart palpitations which I'm assuming I'll get lots of during labor. My doctor has mentioned to me, if mom is not good, baby is not good so even though I thought of doing without the epidural, now I'm thinking it will make me more comfortable therefore baby will be ok. I don't know, still not sure. What is everyone else doing and why?

I'm not doing it because I can't even stand the idea of a needle anywhere near my back and I know someone that was paralyzed from theirs. (And I'm at an increased risk for paralysis from one.)

It is up to you really. I did a lot of research when I was pregnant and decided to do a natural birth (kinda rare here in Canada). There are def a lot of disadvantages to epidural the main one being that they can lead to other interventions. However, you should have an open mind about labour. You never know how you will be until you get to that labour room.

I know some women say "oh, I'll get it if it's painful". The reality of it is that labour is friggin painful, but doing it naturally was the best decision I made for me and my baby. I must add though that I was lucky to have a very short labour (3.5 hours only) but it was super painful. I feel like such a stronger person having gone through it though. Will def do it naturally again :) Also coz I didn't have the epi, I felt every single push and was able to get her out quickly and did not tear at all.

Do your research rather than just going by your doc's advice. Good luck with whatever decision you make :)

I had a very positive epi experience. DS was back to back and I made it till 6cm when I just couldn't take the pain anymore. It didn't slow my labour down at all and made me so comfortable and I really enjoyed my labour after I got it. I did end up with a EMCS, but I would have had to have one with or without the epi. DS was sunny side up and so stuck that even in the EMCS they had a very hard time getting him out.

I think your best bet is to go into it with an open mind, if you get to a point you need it go for it. But if you can cope without it go that route.

I had an epi with my first, I was confined to the bed for hours, couldn't get up, couldn't do anything really except wait until I was fully dilated or for someone to come in and get something for me or help me out with something. I hated every minute of it, mostly because I felt so helpless during an event that should be empowering and wonderful. Definitely steering clear of that this time. I also suffer from anxiety like you, for me I get so worked up that I start to hyperventilate and my heart rate goes up. But during my labor with DD, I actually held it together pretty well. I was more excited than anything as I couldn't wait to finally meet my baby :) and meditation and breathing techniques really come in handy here for keeping calm and relaxed.

I chose to do everything to avoid an epidural. The risk factors were to great for me to think about having one unless it was a last resort. I didn't have one (had no drugs what so ever, not even a paracetamol or G&A), and still had a pain free birth that I enjoyed. I used Natal Hypnotherapy, and I can highly recommend it.
The comment of your doctor, I feel, is a little unfair if it was said in relation to an epi. There are plenty of other ways to keep Mum happy, and it sounds to me like he/she is going to try to force you to do something that you had decided to try to avoid. I would suggest that if you want to try to avoid an epi that you start to look at other options.

HTH

I will be avoiding the epidural if possible. I had DS (induced labour and back to back, which I thought might go against me) without one so I'm confident/hopeful this time will be the same. I'm avoiding it mainly because the idea of a tube in my back frightens the bejeezus out of me but also because it increases the likelihood of needing intervention and of LO having problems after birth. Also the risk of side effects for the mum after the birth.

When I had DD I went into it with an open mind, ended up having an epi when I was 5cm, and it was honestly the best decision I have ever made. I had a very positive experience with it, and I'm not ashamed to admit I have a very low pain threshold! Everyone is different, just do what is best for you at the time. :thumbup:

Yes! With my first I had the intrathecal shot that lasted 2 hours. With my second the labor was too fast, so I had zero pain relief. I much preferred the pain free version, although if it's too fast to get any at least it's over quickly.

I had both of mine without epidural and plan to do the same for this one. I chose and have chosen again to deliver at a midwife centre that doesn't even offer epidurals, so ill be going natural. I didn't feel i needed it , in all honesty. And I'm TERRIFIED of needles, so there's no way anyone will be going near my back with a giant one :haha:

I've had three babies, all delivered with epidural.

Whilst I'm not going to get one if I don't need one, I'm certainly not opposed to them, and have no qualms about asking for one if I feel like I want one.

I had decided to keep my LO's birth as natural as possible (first baby) but nothing went to plan and the decision was completely out of my hands. I had to have drugs to make my contractions more effective and because LO was back to back I was already in agony, so I was left with very little choice. I didn't see or feel the needle, my contractions were too painful for me to care about anything at the time so you might find that things you thought bothered you actually don't. I'd keep an open mind, don't decide that you do or don't want one as if the decision is taken away from you it will make things even more stressful. We suffered no ill effects from having one :).

Because i tore badly the first time, im likely to tear again since scar tissue is not very elastic. I dont want to go through a 2nd degree possibly 3rd degree tear from my vagina to my ass without any pain control.

I was only 20 when I had my first baby and could not cope so i ended up pushing hard just to get the baby out ! big mistake ! as that is what made the tear.

If I had not have tore the first time however I might have gone with natural birth this time around.

I dont like needles but i dont like my ass split even more

Nope won't be getting it. Had it with ds1 and it sucked, had a unmedicated birth with ds2 and it was pretty awesome.

I think it is different for everybody! I had a completely drug-fee labour (no gas and air, nothing) up until 8cm but his heart-rate dropped and I ended up having an emergency forceps delivery where I required an epidural.. so going natural did nothing to prevent intervention!

Also, based on the experience of going so far drug-free, I am definitely opting to have an epidural next time! To be honest, being in that much raw pain made me feel completely out of control, I didn't know what was going on and a lot of my labour is a complete blur because of the pain, it really didn't help with bonding with my son either.. urgh it just wasn't for me.. so epidural next time it is!

Saying that, many people have had good drug-free births so just be open-minded! Look into other options but ultimately you will know when you are in the delivery room. xx

Because i tore badly the first time, im likely to tear again since scar tissue is not very elastic. I dont want to go through a 2nd degree possibly 3rd degree tear from my vagina to my ass without any pain control.

I was only 20 when I had my first baby and could not cope so i ended up pushing hard just to get the baby out ! big mistake ! as that is what made the tear.

If I had not have tore the first time however I might have gone with natural birth this time around.

I dont like needles but i dont like my ass split even more

I too had a 3rd/4th degree tear, my consultant has advised against an epidural this time for that reason, as not being able to feel everything whilst pushing means you can't gauge how to push and makes you more likely to tear (according to him). Fingers crossed none of us tear this time!

I've had one of each.

The 2nd was no epidural or pain relief aside from a hot shower. It was a long labour and difficult, but much better healing.

Both labours resulted in shoulder dystocia - the 2nd one came out with a graze and 2 hours pushing, the 1st one with episiotomy and 4 hours worth of pushing due to loss of feeling from the epidural.

I didn't have the epidural to prevent complications and I'm glad I did!

Definately yes! Didnt feel a thing when it went in, I didnt have it till 24 hours of been in active labour and it was a lifesaver. No after effects, been absolutely fine since :)

No. I dont fancy the cascade of intervention that many times comes along with the epi. Sometimes it doesn't but many times it does, so i just prefer to avoid it altogether. Im not saying i wouldn't ever get it but so far i havn't needed it. If something happened where i would need it, such as laboring for 3 days straight or getting a csection, something like that, then i would. but at this point i have no reason to think that would happen, so at this point im not planning on it. (my first was brutal back labor that lasted over 30 hours. He was face up. Was told if i could do that birth unmedicated i could do most any of them, as face ups are one of the most painful.)

I wouldn't have an epidural unless I had to and I had a 37 hour labour with my son! I feel so much stronger than before after getting through labour, it would have been a very different experience if I'd been numb and unable to move. Depending on what happens in your labour you may only find an hour of it very painful.
Maybe you should look into breathing exercises to calm yourself? Hypnobirthing or yoga might help you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->