Your professional photography experiences?

kmumtobe

Mummy to 2
Reaction score
Hi :flower: I'm looking to start up a photography studio/company initially based at my home with a view to it becoming mobile basically on the concept of 'affordable photography your way your choice'. Since becoming a parent I've found I have been given very limited options in set 'studio' environments and have been pressurised into purchasing very expensive prints so my angle would be to basically charge for an hours session where you could have as many prints taken as you like, how you like them, your choice of props, materials, indoors and out etc (would have a portfolio for you to look through first online to help you choose) in a friendly informal way and then basically I would produce them onto disc for you for you to do as you please with. I could cover bumps, babies, kids, families, pets etc.*

To help me get a more formal plan of action together I'd appreciate any help on the following questions or if you have any suggestions of your own, I'm just a mum with an idea she wants to appeal to other mums like you so your help will be much appreciated, please be honest!

Would you visit a photographer with an at home studio who could offer you the above having viewed their online portfolio?

What are your 'annoyances' with traditional photography companies? What would make you choose one company over another?

What options would appeal to you in terms of sets, props?

Roughly how much would you consider paying for an hours studio time and an edited disc of all the photos of your choice?*

Would the idea of someone coming to your home and doing the photos there appeal? Would you expect to pay extra for it?

Thanks ever so much ladies :thumbup:

Would you visit a photographer with an at home studio who could offer you the above having viewed their online portfolio?
Yes probably only if they were female tho :blush:

What are your 'annoyances' with traditional photography companies? Pushiness when trying to sell photos
What would make you choose one company over another? Recommendations

What options would appeal to you in terms of sets, props? Having various options and not just assuming all girls/boys like the same thing. I personally would like a fairy setting with maybe some twinkly lights with fairy wings and a wand :blush:

Roughly how much would you consider paying for an hours studio time and an edited disc of all the photos of your choice? £50-£75

Would the idea of someone coming to your home and doing the photos there appeal? Would you expect to pay extra for it? Not really as I would prefer a 'set up' studio. Would also expect to pay less if it was in my own home :shrug:

Yes if i liked what i saw on the website

What are your 'annoyances' with traditional photography companies?
Pushy sales. Also pushing the baby to do things they dont want to do like laying on tummy or positions they dont like. Also not realising when the baby has had enough.
What would make you choose one company over another?
Price, location and quality of images

I like the photographer to know good shots rather than me suggesting things to do. I like to think they know how to get a good image. Im not a real fan of sets and dress up really i like natural shots.

Roughly how much would you consider paying for an hours studio time and an edited disc of all the photos of your choice?
No more than £100

Would the idea of someone coming to your home and doing the photos there appeal? Would you expect to pay extra for it?
I have experience of this and wasnt impressed as they didnt have all the equipment i would expect a photographer to have. If i knew they were fully equipt then maybe because its more convenient. But if i went to them then i would be more confident of getting good shots because i wouldnt be confident of getting a good set up in my house if that makes sense? I think it would be more money because you would have to pay for their travel.

Hope that helps :flower:

Yes, if the website looked professional.

What are your 'annoyances' with traditional photography companies?
The 'hard sell' and hidden charges.

What would make you choose one company over another?
Recomendation and the chance to meet the photographer before doing the shoot, with no consultaion fee

Natural looking sets which were not too busy and the option to bring my own props if I wanted to.

Roughly how much would you consider paying for an hours studio time and an edited disc of all the photos of your choice?*
£75-£150 depending on the number of people/pets allowed and number photos offered

I like the idea of being able to the photos at home as long as the photographer comes full prepared, I would not expect to pay more for this service if I lived close by as they would not be having to pay for studio hire which would cover their travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->