Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

Thanks to everyone who posted with great advice and ideas!

I've often wondered which supplies were ok to buy second hand to save a few bucks and which ones NEED to be bought new. Whenever I search the internet, I get results from consumer advocate sites that basically say everything needs to be bought new, which I am somewhat skeptical of. So far the only things I can think of that absolutely has to be new is the carseat, because you really can't know if it's been in an accident or not and they aren't safe anymore after they've taken one accident. Other things like cribs, strollers, playpens, etc, you just need to make sure a particular model hasn't been recalled, but they don't get less safe over time, right?

Can someone offer insight into this topic while we're discussing ways to not waste your money?

Car seat- should be brand new. I got mine off a good friend of the family, she used it like 5x for her granddaughter and I knew she had never been in an accident with it (I would have heard about it).

I would recommend a convertible car seat to save you money, an infant car seat that you can carry is nice with a young baby but as they get older, they much prefer being able to sit higher and kind of see out the window (even in rearfacing)... you can get ones that work for rearfacing, forward facing, and then convert to a booster, so your child has one seat to last years.

Cribs- it is recommended that you buy a new mattress every time, including no hand-me-down mattresses between siblings. TBH I am not sure if it is in good condition and you flip it if it would be okay to use for a second child though, my thoughts right now are that this is what I will be doing with mine. The actual crib, just make sure it meets current safety standards and hasn't been recalled.

Strollers, playpens.. yep just be sure about recalls and you're fine

Thanks to everyone who posted with great advice and ideas!

I've often wondered which supplies were ok to buy second hand to save a few bucks and which ones NEED to be bought new. Whenever I search the internet, I get results from consumer advocate sites that basically say everything needs to be bought new, which I am somewhat skeptical of. So far the only things I can think of that absolutely has to be new is the carseat, because you really can't know if it's been in an accident or not and they aren't safe anymore after they've taken one accident. Other things like cribs, strollers, playpens, etc, you just need to make sure a particular model hasn't been recalled, but they don't get less safe over time, right?

Can someone offer insight into this topic while we're discussing ways to not waste your money?

Thank you for adding this useful bit to the thread. I also plan to purchase a lot 2nd hand so this is super useful!! :flower:

These are a few things I learned that I wished someone had told me to save me money!!

Unnecessary:

If you're bottle feeding: Bottle warmers. Waste of space, you can feed formula at room temp. It actually helps them digest it better. I don't boil water and let it cool, I just get gallon bottles of distilled water and make it up with that when ever she needs a feed. She uses around a gallon a week now and its 80cents a gallon.

Just to point out, the problem with thisis that the formula isn't sterile, that is why you have to add hot water to the powder.

If you are adding room-temperature sterile water to un-sterile powder formula your baby could end up with just as bad a stomach upset as if you'd just added tap water to the bottle.

Not such a problem with older babies who've developed a bit more of an imune system, but definately not what is recommended.

The tub says nothing at all about adding it to boiling hot water, it says to cooled boiled water.
Distilled water is actually boiled water, in which the steam has been collected and turned back in to water, removing all the minerals and additives tap water has in it.

Her pediatrician has said it's totally fine to prepare her milk this way.

Autumn has not been sick with anything ever.

To be honest, if you do reading up on sterilizing bottles etc, its actually just followed on from the days when water supply was shite.

Once they are on the floor and putting everything in their mouths, they have more chance of getting sick that way.

:shrug: It was a group of health visitors that told me about milk powder not being sterile.

Essentials:

bottles if you will bottle feed and a bottle brush to clean them

diapers cloth or disposable

onesies

pj

a few outfits...not too many cause outgrown too fast and weather appropriate clothing...(Winter, summer, rain, etc)

car seat

crib and sheets for its size

proper hats for weather

a few blankets

a stroller or a sling or snuggly

A very good baby monitor...was essential for me anyway (Angel Care baby monitor)

GOOD:

wipes...but facecloths would do

baby towels...but regular towels do

a playpen

my son and I both loved the swing

a little chair that rocks...fisher price makes a few models

Very not necessary:

- bottle warmers
- wipes warmers

I am sure I forget a lot... but this is what I can think of right now. That should cover the first little while anyway.

Thought I would add mine to this thread :thumbup:

If you are planning on breastfeeding make sure you do your research first - it is hard and you need to know what is likely to happen and the absolute best way to get started. I would highly recommend Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding book. Also lurk on the BFing forum - there's a great thread going at the moment here.

I would also recommend the your baby week by week book - I have found this to be a great resource. I didn't buy any books on BFing or newborn care in advance and regretted it. Didn't have a clue..... :dohh:

Don't buy loads of fancy newborn or 0-3 month clothes. Your LO will mostly be wearing vests and all-in-one suits. Mothercare do some great all-in-ones with built in scratch mits (though not all of them so you have to search through). These are my absolute faves as they keep Beth's hands warm at night and she can't pull them off. If she wears gloves instead I always wake up in the morning to find she has managed to pull them off and her hands are freezing, bless.

Consider a bedside/sidecar cot - I have the Cosatto Close to Me. It is so much easier to feed/settle baby in bed with you and then slide her over into the cot than it is with a crib or moses basket. It also gives LO the feeling that they are in bed with you. I love this way of sleeping and Beth settles so well if I am at her eye level. It also means I can easily reach over to pop her dummy back in, hold her hand etc. This can also be used as a normal cot so will last.

Oh and this VTech Lullaby machine is fab.

:)

I nearly got a Cosatto Close to Me but found a Mamas & Papas Close & Cosy (another bedside cot) when I decided to look "just once more". I was determined to get a bedside cot, and I'm glad to hear someone praise them so!

Very good post--very useful!

I shop second hand for my clothes most of the time, so I figured, why not for a baby who will grow out of something in a blink? Also, if she puked/poo'd whatever on them, I was less worried about pitching them if it wasn't worth it.

Things I couldn't do without:
blankets. Lots of them...cotton, flannel, plush, quilts, I horde them. Seriously. We can sit on them, lay them on the sofa, cover a face when it's cold, you get the picture.

diaper pad (2)..one for the bag, one for the house. Change diapers anywhere and wipe it off for the next use.

good bottle brush.

onsies (or as you gals call them, vests :)). They are, to this day, my favorite item to have on hand. Great for layering in the cold, great to wear by itself when it's too warm. I thought the sleep sacks (what do you call those again?) would be wonderful, but she was too squirmy and too small for them initially. And then she just wanted to climb all the time so they were too dangerous. I had a TON of them!

little cotton caps. Our cottage is chilly, and Violet was born in February, so I kept a knit cap on her noggin all the time when she was first born. It worked. Healthy little girl!

baby leggings/knits: pair with a onsie and you've got one comfy baby. Also good under sleep sacks.

Honestly, I was given some rather sage advice and initially I discounted it. But after a year of living with our babe, I believe it. "Babies really just need milk, love, and warmth. All the other stuff is marketing" This from a WWII era mother who's first little one slept in a bureau drawer because her GI husband was off to war and she didn't have enough money to go on.

Things I could do without...

wipe warmer. Always forgetting to fill it up and the plug wasn't near the crib :)
more than one or two fancy dresses.

What to Expect the First Year is good :thumbup:

Informative, reliable.

I've tried to do things that havent been mentioned.....

Not essential

A changing table for their room. We have one and to be fair we have used it and still use it loads BUT I dont think you need one considering how expensive they can be.

Top and tail bowls - waste of money - I have one that I have never used and it was handed from 2 other friends/family members who never used it!
Nursing chair - expensive luxury and the sofa was much nicer!

Great Items

Bath support or seat so you can bath them on your own with hands free.
Hooded towels.
V pillow for breastfeeding
Gripe water - good for getting burps up and more natural than colic remedies

i think one of the worst things we brought was a silly nappy wrapper :dohh: the thing never worked and nappy sacks works soooo much better imo!!

i found lot's of vest's and sleepsuits great, in newborn, 0-3months and 3-6 - buy a small selection and add to babies clothes when they are born, maddi was a very long baby, something we never knew till she was here :)

whoops just bought a nappy wrapper! seen a few people mention their a waste of money too :(
Got it in the sale for £7.50 so not too bad haha! but my mum actually recommended getting one cos she said when she was in a flat with me she didnt want smelly nappies around and their wrapped to trap smells too and if your in a flat in aint that easy to walk all down the stairs to an outside bin :shrug:
if i was in a house i probs wouldnt have bothered with one
xx

Honestly, I was given some rather sage advice and initially I discounted it. But after a year of living with our babe, I believe it. "Babies really just need milk, love, and warmth. All the other stuff is marketing" This from a WWII era mother who's first little one slept in a bureau drawer because her GI husband was off to war and she didn't have enough money to go on.

Excellent advice!

As far as nappy wrappers go, I got one second hand for $10 (approx £4) and at that price it's great. We only started once our boy started on solids and got stinky. BF baby poo doesn't really smell bad but formula/food does give it a lot more odour. I wouldn't pay full price ($50 here) but if you can get one cheap it's worth it I reckon. We use a mix of dispoables and reuseables so it probably doesn't get a full work out.

I saw the Tommy Tippee nappy wrapper bin thingy at Mothercare yesterday, marked down to £9.99 from £19.99. As I'm planning on breastfeeding though, I'll be just using the little cheap bags and putting them in the normal bin. I agree with Nov_Mum - breastfed baby's poos aren't that bad (actually a sweet smell) compared to baby's on formula and/or solids (which can make me heave).

I miss BF poos....they smell positively delicious compared to her solid food poos....

great thread!

one thing I noticed no one mentioned as an essential is wollen cardigans. These are perfect for the chilly weather and make an awesome coat for newborns as most coats swamp them.

I also found a changing mat much more helpful than my changing table and portable!

Baby beauty packs are a must! they are pretty cheap but the nail clippers you get in them are a serious must must must! Babies nails grow so fast and snipping them help the baby not injure themselves.

That is all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned before.

I'd like to thank all the contributors to this thread and all those who are still coming! I'm really glad to hear about how useful others are finding it. :)

Hello! I'm bumping this thread up because so many people thought it was useful. Would be great to make it sticky. How is that done?

I agree, great thread and should be a sticky. Thanks to all who have contributed.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->