Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

Wow! A super special thank you to Chaos for such an amazing and eye-opening list! I hope others will also take this great opportunity to help other avoid silly and sometimes costly mistakes and help out a bunch of new mommies in the process!

I just thought of something else I found absolutely vital.
It's something you may very well have anyway...
Hand cream! What with all the extra hand-washing after nappy changes, my hands were a wreck!

Good

A large blanket for swaddling, tommee tippee milk bibs, we bought a swinging crib which is a bit bigger than a moses basket but it did us until she was 5.5 months old :), Fisher price cradle swing was great when i needed some handsfree time to eat or something

Bad

Dummies and bottles and bottle warmers as she never used them but that was an amelie thing LOL, grobags never got used because she hated them, groegg thermometre ALWAYS said our rooms were too hot even if it was a bit chilly :wacko:, didn't get that much use out of her bumbo tbh but thats because she had her swing then jumperoo

I just thought of something else I found absolutely vital.
It's something you may very well have anyway...
Hand cream! What with all the extra hand-washing after nappy changes, my hands were a wreck!

Thanks! Not something I would have thought of but would def need!

I found our baby bath really good. It's quite a big plastic one with no fancy plug or other features. It was $10 and we used it when bubs was little and now it sits in the bath and bubs sits up in it. It saves filling a whole bath and he can't fall over and split his head on the side of the big bath.

Bibs, we used loads in the early days. Now bubs is older we use a couple of plastic bibs that you wipe down.

Vests/body suits.

Sleep sacks

Nipple cream if your bfing. Breast pads too. Nappy squares, not for usng as nappies but for everything else.

Useless things:

A sling, hurt my neck after bubs was 6 weeks old. This time around I got a wrap like a moby wrap and it's much better!!!!

Loads of blankets and toys - not neccessary and you get brought heaps anyway.

Expensive sterilisers - I used sterilising tabs and a plastic container. It was portable, cheap and can be used safely with non bpa plastics.

For the first two weeks, the only thing my little man wore was sleepers. (Full body suits aka Bodygrows) This way I knew he was warm enough and he just looks so darn cute in them. Also, I hated putting onesies over his head when he was so tiny and fragile feeling.

BAD

Bottle Warmer - I never used it

I found our baby bath really good. It's quite a big plastic one with no fancy plug or other features. It was $10...

Hey nov_mum - where'd you find a bath for $10? We gave all our stuff away so I'm looking to replace as cheaply as possible. Suppose I could always try Trade Me. :)

There always seem to be baby baths on Freecycle, Ebay, Gumtree, etc. We got ours of DH's grandparents', which I think they got second hand. DH gave it a wash, and it looks brand new - it's even blue and has a plug in the bottom.

Im still pregnant so can only give u advice that i have bin given ,, but buy wipes baby grows and bodysuits telc etc once a month or sumtin and save them as this helps thats wat i have been doing and now have a little basket to keep it all in and so have them ready for when baby arrives, also big pants and sani towels for when u leave hospital (i have been advised ther a deffo lol) I wish u luck xx

What a great thread! Not only for our own insight, but for once I've been able to get a baby shower gift for a friend of mine that I know she'll actually be able to put to use... Diapers, onesies, long sleeved body suits, and flannel receiving blankets.

What exactly are baby vests? I know about the body suits.

Since you're American, I'll translate! haha What those in the UK call a vest is what Americans call a Onesie (long or short armed bodysuit, no legs).
https://www.style-biz.co.uk/prodimages/c4cvest_lg.jpg

What they call a Babygro is the all-in-one body suit (long arms, long legs).
https://www.boopydoodle.com/Images/originals/Powder%20Plum/PP_Babygro.png

But people get the two mixed up all the time.

i thought a onesie was the babygro :wacko:

What do u use a muslin wrap for?

These are a few things I learned that I wished someone had told me to save me money!!

Unnecessary:

If you're bottle feeding: Bottle warmers. Waste of space, you can feed formula at room temp. It actually helps them digest it better. I don't boil water and let it cool, I just get gallon bottles of distilled water and make it up with that when ever she needs a feed. She uses around a gallon a week now and its 80cents a gallon.

Just to point out, the problem with thisis that the formula isn't sterile, that is why you have to add hot water to the powder.

If you are adding room-temperature sterile water to un-sterile powder formula your baby could end up with just as bad a stomach upset as if you'd just added tap water to the bottle.

Not such a problem with older babies who've developed a bit more of an imune system, but definately not what is recommended.

These are a few things I learned that I wished someone had told me to save me money!!

Unnecessary:

If you're bottle feeding: Bottle warmers. Waste of space, you can feed formula at room temp. It actually helps them digest it better. I don't boil water and let it cool, I just get gallon bottles of distilled water and make it up with that when ever she needs a feed. She uses around a gallon a week now and its 80cents a gallon.

Just to point out, the problem with thisis that the formula isn't sterile, that is why you have to add hot water to the powder.

If you are adding room-temperature sterile water to un-sterile powder formula your baby could end up with just as bad a stomach upset as if you'd just added tap water to the bottle.

Not such a problem with older babies who've developed a bit more of an imune system, but definately not what is recommended.

The tub says nothing at all about adding it to boiling hot water, it says to cooled boiled water.
Distilled water is actually boiled water, in which the steam has been collected and turned back in to water, removing all the minerals and additives tap water has in it.

Her pediatrician has said it's totally fine to prepare her milk this way.

Autumn has not been sick with anything ever.

To be honest, if you do reading up on sterilizing bottles etc, its actually just followed on from the days when water supply was shite.

Once they are on the floor and putting everything in their mouths, they have more chance of getting sick that way.

Thanks to everyone who posted with great advice and ideas!

I've often wondered which supplies were ok to buy second hand to save a few bucks and which ones NEED to be bought new. Whenever I search the internet, I get results from consumer advocate sites that basically say everything needs to be bought new, which I am somewhat skeptical of. So far the only things I can think of that absolutely has to be new is the carseat, because you really can't know if it's been in an accident or not and they aren't safe anymore after they've taken one accident. Other things like cribs, strollers, playpens, etc, you just need to make sure a particular model hasn't been recalled, but they don't get less safe over time, right?

Can someone offer insight into this topic while we're discussing ways to not waste your money?

I've often wondered which supplies were ok to buy second hand to save a few bucks and which ones NEED to be bought new. Whenever I search the internet, I get results from consumer advocate sites that basically say everything needs to be bought new, which I am somewhat skeptical of. So far the only things I can think of that absolutely has to be new is the carseat, because you really can't know if it's been in an accident or not and they aren't safe anymore after they've taken one accident. Other things like cribs, strollers, playpens, etc, you just need to make sure a particular model hasn't been recalled, but they don't get less safe over time, right?

Can someone offer insight into this topic while we're discussing ways to not waste your money?

as long as the crib isnt a recall its ok but most people suggest brand new matress. i bought my stroller and crib used but washed them down and they all seem ok.

Best/essential purchases:
Receiving blankets (think in the UK these are muslins?)... use them as burp cloths, use them for swaddling, use them for blankets
Blankets
Plastic bibs.. when baby starts to have foods, esp feeding themselves, the Bumkins bibs are fabulous. Like $5.49 for one when they're on sale here so very reasonably priced, waterproof, don't need to wash it, and they have a pocket to catch food baby drops
Clothes in a variety of sizes. (I didn't buy anything smaller than 0-3 months but thank goodness my friend who has a son bought me some preemie onesies with one of my gifts and some newborn clothes, my LO was swimming in newborn clothes at 6lbs 1oz- went home 5lbs 15oz)
Baby monitors... INVEST IN GOOD ONES :) I hate the static I get with mine, if I could go back, I would have splurged on better ones. Newborns especially can be quiet when they cry, and it's nice to be able to hear what they're up to once they get older, sometimes they just wake up and play around.. sometimes they don't go to sleep and they play around, and you don't have to sit in silence nearby w/ monitors you can go downstairs and do your washing or watch TV etc.
Bouncy chair... if you can, one with a removable toy bar, and one with a vibrating setting is nice to soothe them
Mobile
Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium soother - my baby loved this, I let her have it the first 5 months. Then she learned how to turn it on and off on her own and I had to take it away because it kept her up.
Onesies, sleepers, booties, a little sweater, hats, mitts.. don't go too nuts but have the basics!
Baby care kit- mine included a brush, comb, toothbrush, nail clippers, nasal aspirator, syringe for medicine, nail files
Thermometer- I have a Braun digital read that goes in the ear. It's fast and easy to read, it was like $75 and I hope I don't have to use it that often, but TBH I prefer it even to take my own temperature, and when you need to take baby's temp, it's a pain to do it orally, and I'd be afraid to use a rectal thermometer
FORMULA--> not available in the UK as far as I know, but in the USA & Canada it is... don't bother with the powder- the concentrate is so much easier- no measuring, it's more sterile, and it works out cheaper for us, even though a case of it is $35-$45 and a tin of the powder is $20 something.
Playpen/playard/pack n'play- most come with a "bassinet" height setting. It is killing 2 birds with one stone if you want a portable bed and a bassinet.. no, you don't get the fancy bassinet/moses basket but it's smaller than a full size crib, portable, etc. When you have it at bassinet height, you can use it as a change station as well. Some actually come with diaper/wipes spots.
Baby Motrin... I prefer this to baby Tylenol or baby Advil
Change pad/station w/ belt... I don't have one of these but I need to get one, they're only $30 anyway. When they are a little older they are a devil to keep still for a change.. tricky to not get poo/diaper cream on you or the changing surface... or me, I end up with a barebummed baby crawling away from me before a new diaper is on

Worst/unnecessary purchases:
Soothers- (Dummies) I bought a couple packs and was given tons with gifts, and my baby wouldn't take them. One pack of 2 would suffice.
Any outfits for the first couple of months- easier to just put them in sleepers etc.
Room thermometer- in the UK loads of people seem to have them? Here we don't use them and manage just fine :) Rule of thumb for dressing baby = one layer more than you. It's not hard to dress baby properly for sleep either IMO, and when they are young they get up often enough that you can check and stay on top of that.. when they are older they squirm out of blankets etc
Special baby detergent... unless your baby has sensitive skin, they can use what the rest of the family uses. I really like the Baby OxyClean stain spray, I buy baby because it is the same price as the regular (I have never thrown an outfit out due to stains and I have a 10 month old because of this stuff! and I am NOTORIOUS for forgetting bibs at bottle time :dohh:)
Diaper Genie, diaper disposal systems... regular trash can will do, TBH if your child poos it STINKS and you'll probably want it out of the house ASAP anyway :rofl: not sitting around in a pail in the nursery or bathroom etc.

I'll think of more I am sure.

Great thread! :thumbup:

The things ive found are a waste of money is:

Outfits! ( much easier to put LO in a babygrow when their small, they look more comfy too)

Toys ( she still only looks at the TV, and cant hold things)

Fisherprice take along swing ( My LO hates it, wish id have bought a bouncy chair with the soothing vibrations, as my LO enjoyed my friends babys one)

Bottle warmer

cot mobile ( Looks nice, but wakes my LO if i turn it on lol )

Probably loads more, and i will add more as i think of them.

90% of Autumns stuff is from consignment sales. The only things we have that are brand new (basically because others brought them for us) is her crib, changing table, and pack and play.

We brought her travel system brand new simply because car seats are like crash helmets, you shouldn't reuse them if you don't know the history (as you say .. if it's been in a crash)

Her high chair, bassinet, most of her toys, jumparoo, walker, a whole bunch of her clothes are 2nd hand. Nothing wrong with them that a wipe down in bleach won't fix. It saved us 100's.

Great thread ladies thank you all - very useful. Mx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"