Zika virus - anyone else worrying?

xxxLeoxxx

Reaction score
I'd been trying to avoid thinking about this as worrying achieves nothing at all but it's all I seem to keep hearing about in the news.

Is anyone else feeling concerned?

Me im due to go to Spain I'm June I hadn't thought much about it (I don't actually watch the news) but someone asked me today if I'm worried.. Well I wasn't but now I am freaking out although no cases have been reported there I still cat help but panic.
My husband keeps telling me to calm down and wait to see closer to the time.
Will still feel guilty for a slight risk if I so go and if we cancel I feel guilt that my other children have to cancel their first holiday

Hey I'm a september snuggler too :) There's another thread in 2nd trimester discussing Zika too. As I said there, I don't think people should be worried about already having it (although for women in south american it may be too late to say that), but precautions should definitely be taken around mosquitos. It sounds like we know so little about this virus and it's already caused a lot of damage. They first thought it was only carried by mosquitos but now they're saying it can be spread via bodily fluids too like during intercourse. And then they first thought only a specific type of mosquito can carry it, but now it turns out the common mosquito can carry it too. So even our OH have to take precautions when going anywhere with any kind of mosquitos.

Me im due to go to Spain I'm June I hadn't thought much about it (I don't actually watch the news) but someone asked me today if I'm worried.. Well I wasn't but now I am freaking out although no cases have been reported there I still cat help but panic.
Will still feel guilty for a slight risk if I so go and if we cancel I feel guilt that my other children have to cancel their first holiday

We're going to Portugal in June and my OH told me today that a case has been reported in Spain. From what I've read it will inevitably end up pretty much everywhere with mosquitoes. I was wondering if it might be worth just going mad with mosquito repellents?! I guess it's a case of watching and waiting.

Hey I'm a september snuggler too :) There's another thread in 2nd trimester discussing Zika too. As I said there, I don't think people should be worried about already having it (although for women in south american it may be too late to say that), but precautions should definitely be taken around mosquitos. It sounds like we know so little about this virus and it's already caused a lot of damage. They first thought it was only carried by mosquitos but now they're saying it can be spread via bodily fluids too like during intercourse. And then they first thought only a specific type of mosquito can carry it, but now it turns out the common mosquito can carry it too. So even our OH have to take precautions when going anywhere with any kind of mosquitos.

Hey fellow September snuggler! I guess as it's still in its infancy there is a lot more for us to learn - I really feel for the pregnant ladies living in the countries already affected.

We're going to Portugal in June and my OH told me today that a case has been reported in Spain. From what I've read it will inevitably end up pretty much everywhere with mosquitoes. I was wondering if it might be worth just going mad with mosquito repellents?! I guess it's a case of watching and waiting.

I did read that earlier but the lady had just returned back from columbia and that's where she got it. It's still scarey and a risk no matter what the only way I've calmed myself down tonight is to think I'll keep a watch out closer to the time. I normally get eaten alive by mosquitos when I'm abroad so I'm extra worried

Yeah my Dh and I canceled a trip to Hawaii because of dengue fever. I don't think zika is in Hawaii but if there are any mosquitos make sure to spray repellant and wear light colored clothing. Im glad we are not doing that while I'm nauseous cuz the repellant is definitely going to make me gag. But after first tri, zika may not affect us anymore. Hopefully....

Just one more thing to worry about I guess ladies!

yeah im pretty worried, because i live right above the florida border, and there have been quite a few confirmed cases in florida.

This scares me as well. We tend to camp a lot in the summer. I'm really hoping that it really pertains to being between the early weeks. That MAYBE in the later weeks we won't have to worry as much. Ugh I don't know.

The cases in Florida are from people who got sick overseas and not in Florida, but it won't be long until the virus is everywhere really so worrying really won't help, just try to take precautions and use mosquito repellent and wear light colored and long clothes.

CDC website doesn't even confirm anything they're just guessing that those mosquitos are spreading Zika.

Yes, I am worried too. We actually cancelled our trip to Florida in March because of Zika. We were all so excited for a vacation. I live in Canada and I am hoping the mosquito virus won't spread much here. But the last I've read is that is will spread almost everywhere. With the Zika virus, it is the daytime mosquito the you have to worry about.

I freaked out when the news came out, and my parents had just gotten to Florida off a cruise that went to one of the areas with the mosquitos. Now people in FL have it. Luckily they didn't get any bites. I still washed my straw after my mom took a drink of my orange juice the other day though. :) Just in case. We went through this with the West Nile virus too.

I've been watching the news closely on this as we have a vacation to Cancun booked for end of March/early April. What's interesting is that the Zika virus has been around and prevalent in Africa, Asia for a few years without causing microcephaly, and Brazil researchers have reported that of the originally 4,000 or so cases of microcephaly that they originally pinned on Zika.. turns out alot of those were misdiagnosed and the number is actually only 270 which is within the country's normal - on top of that only 6 of the 270 were found to have the zika virus. Also, in late 2014/early 2015, Brazil made it mandatory for all preggo women to get the new tdap vaccine before week 22 (some preggo women take this sht in the US but it is not recommended until I think week 32 or so). There is also the fact that this seems to be concentrated to NE Brazil which is a total slum, complete poverty and very poor hygiene (think kids swimming in trash) - this area is very heavily polluted and sprayed with chemicals regularly. The media is causing panic over this but they dont actually have anything backing up the claim that zika causes micrcephaly. Regardless, for myself, we havent cancelled out trip yet but will see what develops and may end up cancelling as I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

Here is a good article with recent numbers from Brazil around zika and microcephaly in newborns:

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-01-29/sketchy-numbers-behind-brazil-s-zika-crisis

"Confirmed cases of microcephaly linked to Zika are still in the single digits: According to the most recent bulletin from Brazil’s Health Ministry, only six (6) of the country’s reported cases of microcephaly are “related to the Zika virus.”"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->