1 hr GTT today! *Updated again post 16*

Bam

3rd Trimester - #1
Reaction score
So, I have my 1 hr GTT in a few hours and I'm actually kind of nervous about it. We have a family history of Type II diabetes but no gestational diabetes, I think. I haven't had any blood sugar problems so far (I have a glucometer and keep an eye out, just in case) but can't help to be scared to death that I'm going to fail it. Other than a bout of hyperemesis earlier in my pregnancy, I've been relatively problem free so I'm kind of due for a more serious issue. >.<

Anyway, wish me luck!

--------------------------
*Updated 2 Sept*

Well, got the call today. I failed the 1 hr so have to go back at 8am in the morning to take the 3 hr. FUN! *thumbs up*

I'm really not looking forward to this. Not allowed to eat after midnight (I *have* to eat at some point between midnight and 5am or I get sick) and I have to be awake at 6:30am. That's usually my bedtime! >.< And then I get to sit there ALL. Day. Long.

Ok, just for 3 hrs, but still... Tomorrow is also grocery day so as soon as I leave the Dr's office (feeling like crap from the test) we go grocery shopping. THEN we have our first birthing class that night. I'm going to be worthless tomorrow.

I think the only positive thing is that the Dr's office is at the hospital so there is wi-fi. I'll be sitting on my laptop that full 3 hrs. :p

Good luck honey - i'll keep my fingers crossed that your all fine and normal!!

Good luck, I hope you pass.
I didn't, even though they said my level wasn't in diabetic range, good news.
I still have to go and see diabetic nurse and have the usual chat about diet etc.
My mum had gestational with both me and my sister, but after me, it stayed with her and became type 2.
Just hope history doesn't repeat itself with me.

Andrea xx

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine- my family has a history of type 2 diabetes too and mine came back normal.

Thanks, ladies! You're all awesome. :)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine- my family has a history of type 2 diabetes too and mine came back normal.
That's really reassuring. :)

My GTT came back fine too. I also have family history of type 2 diabetes & my son was 9lb 14oz - so hence why they wanted to test me.

My friend had gestational diabetes & was easily managed with medication/diet. She has since had her baby & there were no problems with him.

Back from the doc! Everything is perfect. His exact words: "I got nothin' to bitch about." :D My weight is right on track, fundal height is right on track, baby is moving like she should, BP is perfect, fetal heartbeat is perfect. Everything is great! I'll get the results of the GD test next week sometime but I'm confident it'll be ok. Although, I have to say, I don't like the drink. The taste wasn't bad but the way it made me feel was bothersome. Just really wired me out and made me jittery. Also kicked the baby in high gear so she was going all "Alien" and trying to kick her way out of my abdomen. :p I checked my sugar on the glucometer 2 hours after the drink and it was 70 mg/dL/4.4 mmol/L so I crashed pretty hard after it. :p

:thumbup:good luck...my husband maternal family has sugar problem...and my paternal family has type b problemmm.....but so far no concerns shown by the dr....

Updated first post. *sigh*

I failed my 1hr and passed my 3hr!! so hope you are the same she said that only one of my #s was off and it had to be 2 for me to have GD so I dont have it but because of the one # being off I needed to watch my carbs and sugars. good luck :)

and I wish Id thought to bring my laptop cause it was the most boring 3hrs ever I just sit and listened to a bunch of loud paitients in the waiting room and finally fell asleep in the last hour thanks to them having a comfortable couch :)

It's not the outcome of the test I'm concerned about. If I'm diabetic, that's fine. I know what to do and I already have Metformin from before I got pregnant. I already check my sugar on a regular basis and have plenty of lancets and test strips. No biggie.

It's the test itself that I'm not looking forward to. The drink last time made me feel really crappy. I was wired out and high for hours and then crashed HARD. 2 hrs after the test, after I had drank 2 Mt. Dews, my sugar was STILL only 70. And that was only 50g of glucose. I'm pretty sure the 100g is going to make matters worse. I was completely worthless for the rest of the day last week. :-/

Too bad I can't reschedule my prenatal class. :(

Hey Bam,
Sorry to hear about the 1st test. My doctor had me do the 3 hr test too (slightly different scenario though- I think she accidentally wrote out the wrong test on the requisition for the lab since I skipped the 1 hr test and only did the 3 hr, but anyway...). The only advice I can give is to bring along a snack for right after the last blood sample- after the 3hrs I was beyond starved again and had to settle for a soggy egg sandwich from the store next to the lab. Glad to hear they have wi-fi- I read a book but even that got boring and of course I wasn't allowed to sleep or walk around which added to the restlessness :) Hope the rest of the day goes well for you after the test too! :)

Thanks. :) We'll probably go grab lunch right after the test since we have to go grocery shopping and I HATE shopping on an empty stomach. :p I end up buying a bunch of junk that I just don't need.

Maybe I can make hubby feel bad and talk him into going for sushi. :D

Well, I went for the test. After the 2nd draw I had a bout of nausea and dizziness so they had me lie down in a room for the rest of the time. The main goal at that point was not to throw up so I wouldn't have to come back and start the test over. I call Tuesday to see what the results are.

When the nurse drew my blood the last time, she blew the vein pretty bad. It's not a big deal and she's actually a really good stick but my veins are crap. She took it out of the back of my hand and as soon as she pulled the needle out, my hand swelled up and filled with blood. It kind of freaked me out. I've had blown veins but not that bad.

So now my hand hurts really bad and I can't grip anything. I'm hoping it'll ease up in a few days and I'm sure I'll have some nasty bruising over the next few days. Might even take some pictures. :p

As I figured, I felt like crap all day. I ended up taking a phenergan for nausea during lunch so I wouldn't throw it up. I did get my sushi so I was a happy Bam. :) Also filled up on steak so I could get my protein back up. We decided to skip shopping fo the day and just came straight home. I passed out for a few hours until time to go to our prenatal class.

Made it through that and got a lovely tour of the maternity ward. Came home and realized that I had a migraine coming on. So I've taken a cocodamol and will be sleeping again here very soon. I'm just glad I made through the test without throwing up. I never want to have to do that again. I'll update next week with the results.

Update!

Tests came back fine! I do not have gestational diabetes! I'm so relieved. So far we're having a fabulous pregnancy (other than the random throwing up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->