I know what you mean Hayley, I know we should only let positive thoughts in, but the realist (pessamist!) side of me thinks I'll be dissapointed if my birth doesn't go as my lovely daydream imagines it.

Was bad enough to find out I have a fibroid that could scupper my chances of being at home, then they wanted me to have managed third stage labour - on one hand I think I have to be open to change and things in my 'plan' may not happen, but on the other I'm trying to keep positive that everything should go more or less exactly how I want (or how it is in my mind!)

So far I've just written a few things down that I know I really don't want during the birth, if there is a real medical need then I'll have to just go with it.

I totally agree that sometimes the more you think about willing something not to happen the opposite can happen!

I'd defo say have a read of the positive blogs and birth stories, try to let go of any subconscious fear and believe in the body working :flower:

Good to hear you're in a more positive frame of mind today! Yeah I'm sure the pools do have 'steps' 'seats' and handles, you can probably only have it half full too, I guess you can see it when you go to the hospital?
I was worried about the opposite, that I'd be the water would be too cold! But I guess in July (in the British weather lol) and in labour I'd probably want cooling down :dohh:

Hospital or birth centre pools often have a little seat in them and they're huge so not claustrophobic at all. I laboured in one with Hebe in a birth centre and is was mahooosive!! The BPIAB regulars and large pools have seats in them too if you ever got to a place that home felt right for you. Temperature wish they are kept at 37 degrees max while is acutally cool compared to how most people bathe. Maternal comfort is the temperature you'd go with until birth was imminent (assuming you actually wanted to give birth in water - I like to labour in water but got out to give birth both times) which is generally cooler than even 37 degrees as you're naturally warmer when labouring.

And you could definitely have it shallower to labour in if you wanted to get out to give birth. It can easily be topped up if a woman decides to stay in to birth. Thats what happened with Sid when it looked like I might stay in but I got out just after they topped it up! :lol:

In the hierarchy of pain relief only epidural comes above submersion in water and as you couldn't have an epi....if you had the option of water and liked it, it could be heaven for SPD/PGP

I think it's ingrained in us that it's just not safe to be at home :wacko: and we should give birth in hopsital just 'in-case' (even I have a 'what if something goes wrong' at the back of my mind, even though I know it shouldn't!) pregnancy and birth is treated like an illness these days, not an every day natural biological occurance!

Yes I agree it's cultural. Only a couple generations ago everyone was born at home. My mum, dad and 14 siblings were all born at home. I'm sure the picture improved for many with the advent of hospital birth but the advent of various interventions and fear of litigation has unfortunately started a trend the opposite way.

Our group is for anyone with any passing interest in HB. We have had lots of women join and decide for what ever reasons that they feel a more formal setting would be appropriate for their births....and we are cool with that. We're a tolerant bunch. What I won't tolerate is people's choices being trashed and bad mouthed which ever path they chose is right for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->