1st day reusable nappy questions

nickijsmith

Reaction score
Hi all
I bought a selection of reusables (1 Itti B'Itti snap in one in size small, 1 Bumgenius v3, 1 Wonderoo and 1 Blueberry) before Cody was born with all the good intentions but then due to Cody firstly being too small to use them straight away and then having to wear a harness for hip displaysia for his first 12 weeks we resorted to disposables. He is now 4 and half months a I thought I should give them a shot as I had bought them.
So I decided to try the reusables when I am at home and continue with disposables when I am out (one step at a time!!). This morning I tried the Itti B'Itti but with just one of the inserts in and after about 1 hour and a half it had leaked wee out of the legs.

Do you think this was because I only put the one insert in or because it was a bit small (Cody was 13lb 9oz when he was last weighed 2 weeks ago). I didn't think that the nappy would do up if I put both inserts in.

I then changed this and put the Bum Genius on. I left this on for about another hour and a half until I needed to go out and this was fine. I also used a disposable liner in the nappy (not a paper one but quite a soft one - a bit like a tumble dryer sheet - they were just a few tester ones that came with the nappies so not sure what sort they are) which was quite wet when I changed the nappy and Cody's bum felt quite wet also, is this how it is with reusables?

Sorry for all the questions but I do want to get to grips with using them but am afraid I have got into the rut of using easy disposables for the last few months.

As babies get older they wee more. Even with LO as a newborn we needed both inserts in the small ittis, so I think it was definitely that you only put one insert in that was the problem. And which insert was it? If it was the top layer one (the one that doesn't fold in three) that would be even more of a problem as the trifold one is the more absorbent of the two. I'd say that three hours is a good length of time for an itti to last with both inserts, and if you only had half of the inserts in, 1.5 hours is about right. They should fit up to 16lbs so you will probably need to fasten them on the looser poppers but they should still do up fine.

With the liner, it could be that he had just weed. Cloth does take a bit longer than disposables to soak up the wee. If you'd have changed him five minutes later he might have felt dry. With disposable liners though, they won't keep a baby as dry as fleece liners and some may even keep baby a bit wetter.

Hi Rachel
Yes it was the insert that doesn't fold. Good to know that that was what you would expect. Its always good to know that we are "normal"!!!

Are the fleece liners the ones that need washing? Are these the ones that you would recommend?

you definitely need to use the trifold insert....the top one is really just the suedecloth with a little bamboo backing, its more of a 'boost' than an actual insert- the trifold is pretty much the absorbent part!

as for the liners, they are designed so liquid flows through them, so they shouldnt retain much wetness, maybe a bit damp but not enough for babys bum to feel 'wet'!

saying that it was OH that changed Cody the second time so it is probably an exageration that Codys bum was 'wet'!!!!!

:rofl:

these men dont know what they're talking about....:haha:

Here's from the Close Parent website about their liners which is also how most of the biodegradable flushable liners work...

"Nappy liners make cotton nappies easy to use as they allow moisture to pass through one-way into the nappy to help keep baby dry whilst retaining solids to help prevent soiling of the nappy."

pretty much moisture can pass through the liner but not back!

oh this is interesting...thanks for posting everyone..I will need all the infromation for my first time using them when baby Olivia arrives

Hi Rachel
Yes it was the insert that doesn't fold. Good to know that that was what you would expect. Its always good to know that we are "normal"!!!

Are the fleece liners the ones that need washing? Are these the ones that you would recommend?

Sorry I just saw this. Yes, fleece liners are reusuable and I would recommend them in any nappy that doesn't have a stay dry layer. I think ittis do have a stay dry layer though, the suedecloth layer on the countour insert. I'd think if your LO felt wet, it was just that the nappy was too full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->