1st time making a cake ! advice please

xKimx

Mummy :)
Reaction score
Well I decided to make my LO a cake for his 2nd birthday :blush:!

I bought this mickey mouse train marzipan for on top of his cake :D

Heres a picture :
!BqKj5hQBmk~$(KGrHqEH-DMEuWiBwRvGBLuj58YSMQ~~_12.JPG

My sisters bringing her cake baking tins through today so i can practise:D

Basically I am hoping to make a normal circle cake with fondant icing rolled on the top stuck down by jam :wacko: And then write on it with icing with the train on top of the cake :D

Ladiess any tips,advice am hopeless:dohh:

Sounds like you'll do well! A nice easy victoria sponge type recipe is a good start. I wouldn't be too worried about mixing the ingredients in stages for your first few cakes. Seive the flour and baking powder together into a bowl then bung the rest of ingrediants in and use an electric mixer to mix it up!

8oz self raising flour,
8 oz butter/marge (I use Stork for oilyness) - at room temp
8 oz caster sugar
1tsp baking powder
4 large eggs - at room temp

8' tins x 2

170 deg for 30 - 40 mins.

tips that I've picked up along the way - use good quality baking tins, grease and line the bottom of the tins with baking parchment/peper, use a non fan assisted oven if poss (some ovens allow you to switch this feature off), try not to push the mixture down into the tins as it takes some of the air out.

You'll do just fine! Enjoy the trial runs and tasting! yum

Hiya hun, if you have a look in the group section at 'learning to bak and decrate' some of the really really talented ladies have made a thread for beginners on working with fondant etc (turns out its tougher than it looks :blush: :haha:)
Id highly reccomend their thread, they're very good :D xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"