- 2015 JUNE BUGS - Join Us!

nikoru - I was shaking too but it started before I had my epidural. It was probably the Pitocin since I was induced because of high blood pressure. The nurse said the shakes are normal during labor though because your body is going through so much. I was dead set on not getting an epidural too. It scared me to death to even think of it but labor comes on hard and fast when induced and I got to the point where I just couldn't take the pain and that outweighed the needle fear. I actually didn't even feel the needle but it might have been that the labor pains overshadowed it. It was a good thing too since I had an emergency C-section and already had the epidural done with.

Like you, I agree it is everyone's own personal choice and I support whatever choice anyone makes. I think my point is that sometimes you end up with a completely different labor/birth than you have planned.

^^ You can get all shaky from IV fluids.... they're cold! I was shivering and shaking uncontrollably after my c-sections... definitely not fun :nope:

I will definitely be breastfeeding this baby as long as he or she wants! And I doubt I'll use any bottles if this one is as stubborn as my previous babies. They all really just wanted the boob!!!
I will also definitely be using disposables..... i LOATHE laundry. So much. Even right now there's a basket just waiting to be folded and I'm sitting here glaring at it :haha: I love the idea of cloth, they are so much cuter and softer and no waste! But the laundry.... just can't do it.... I know my limits :haha:

I have a doppler :) I think it's called sonotrax B or something like that? I'm pretty sure I've only heard the HB from 10 weeks on. But I'll still probably try at 8 weeks with the mind set that I won't likely hear anything. Then after I hear I'll probably check in once a week for a couple minutes until I start feeling kicks. :cloud9: I can't WAIT for the kicks. Omg this will be the last time I'll feel baby kicks... I might start crying :cry:

Meant to say that epidurals freaked me out SO MUCH. I was in natural labour for 13 hours with my first. Contractions were on top of each other with absolutely no break in between and I was dying.... I really thought I must be transitioning.... I read everything about natural labour and I was so prepared.... but something just wasn't right. They checked me and I was only 5cm...... never got past that :( So I got the epidural.... it was just necessary. I dozed on and off and overheard the doctors and nurses talking about how I was dilating "weird" and how they didn't think I was going to be able to give birth vaginally. I was so upset I cried and cried I never in a million years thought I'd have a c-section. But my baby was so perfect and healthy that was all that mattered to me in the end.
Fast forward to DD2.... tried for a VBAC... 9 hours of natural labour.... contractions on top of each other... only 3cm... they gave me the epidural at 3cm because they felt so bad for me.... 3cm isn't even supposed to be active labour!!! Never made it past 5cm again after 20+ hours of labour.
They think my pelvis is too small for my babies giant heads :( I do have very narrow hips that have never seemed to grow while pregnant :nope:

Anyway sorry I got carried away there... long story short, I won't be going into labour this time again... planned c-section. Vaginal birth is just not in the cards for me :(

Raelynn-it's so true about not always ending up with the labour you planned. My sister didn't even plan but she thought it would be a breeze too like my mother told her. Hers was pretty horrendous! I don't think she was prepared for it because she didn't do any research about what might happen and what she wanted either. I think she was induced too early just for convenience and that's what made it bad for her and started the complications leading up to a c-section. Maybe if she had asked about why it was necessary to be induced at that time, and whether should could keep going naturally for a bit longer, it might not have happened. Bless her, I think sometimes it's good to have someone else there to ask those questions too because when you are giving birth or just given birth I don't suppose you are thinking straight. When I arrived at the hospital just after the birth , I asked lots of questions for my sister and I think she was grateful to hear the answers but I'm not sure she would have thought to ask herself.

I think probably the best thing to do is have an idea about what you want, make sure you have researched all the complications of birth and make sure you know what to ask if you need more information about why the medical staff are recommending these procedures etc. I'm not going to be upset if it doesn't happen the way id like it and if I'm lucky enough to give birth to twins, I think there might be more complications. I just want two healthy babies and I'd rather not have an epidural or be induced or an episiotomy (episiotomy and induction are very common here) if possible but that's just my preference.

Oh my gosh I was so scared of needing an episiotomy! It's funny, I was preparing myself for everything that I didn't even need to worry about. I wasn't going to have any meds, wouldn't even look at C-section info because it freaked me out, hated the idea of having my water broken and then I get everything I didn't even consider. I had a great recovery though and very little pain so I guess it all worked out.

Nikoru - You're completely right about not being in the right frame of mind for questions. I had hubby do all the talking for me because I just couldn't be bothered to do anything other than focus on labor. It is definitely helpful to have someone there that can do the thinking for you.

Melissa_M - I bet it was the IV that had me shaking now that you mention it. It was really cold!

Yep absolutely. Being informed agnd having someone else to advocate for you (and having a provider who knows and respects your wishes (and has the stats to back it up. For eg if you wqntba vaginal birth make sure you find a practitioner with a high vaginal birth rate, not 50%) and you'll have the best possible shot of the birth you want, accepting that things don't always go to plan.

When having any interventions offered, its always good to remember the anacronym use your BRAIN.
Ask about the
Benefits
Risks
Alternatives
Use your Intuition
Ask what will happen if you do Nothing

My sisters boyfriend is really not clued up on anything medical or scientific. I don't think he finished high school, but is a lovely guy overall. Anyway he wasn't any use asking questions. Sometimes I think they know if you'll make a fuss or not and obviously my sis and her boyfriend didn't make any fuss.

My husband although rather intelligent, again knows nothing about medicine, science or pregnancy. He is trying to read up on it though, however I'm scared he won't ask the questions I might need him to. Also in Japan there is more of a culture to just do as you are told and he does that a lot too. I guess there is no point worrying just yet about that though, I'm still on edge to see whether my pregnancy is truly viable or not. Just praying that my little twinnies are safe and healthy and thriving.

I not long ate my lunch but I could really eat again lol. Maybe I might order pizza...I really shouldn't though. I only had one sometime last week.

Would you consider getting a doula or someone to make sure the drs give you all the information - both sides - so you dont have to worry about whether your husband will ask the right questions? Its tough for the partner, and even a mother or sister sometimes, cause they can't always be objective enough.

Mmm now I want pizza. I've just finished mushroom stroganoff but now I dont want it lol.

Yes I would seriously consider getting a doula if I can find an English speaking one in Tokyo. I think it could be worthwhile but I don't want my husband to be put out. Will have to speak to him about it nearer the time I guess.

I'll not be hiring a doula, but I do think it makes sense to get one if you can afford it and if you're worried your wishes may not be followed...

My own wishes are pretty much in line with what's standard practice here (free movement during labour, don't offer pain relief unless I ask for it, no episiotomy without my consent and only if absolutely necessary, etc.) so I feel I'll be fine without a doula, especially if I do end up staying home. The thing with having your SO advocate for you is that they'll be just as emotionally involved as you are, so they're not necessarily in the best spot to argue with doctors or nurses. To be honest, when I was wheeled away for a forceps assisted delivery, I think my SO was more scared than I was at that point. I remember being more concerned about him than myself or the baby. I mean I was quite sure that myself and the baby would be fine, not that I didn't care about us at that moment...it's hard to explain. So yes, even if you thought your SO would be happy to advocate for you, it's an extreme situation for him too, so it makes sense to give that responsibility to someone not so personally involved with everything.

Hey guys, just a quick update from my holiday. Second day in to the holiday, started bleeding bright red and went to hospital. Miscarried at 5 weeks. Good luck to the rest of you :flower:

I'm so sorry buffyx :hugs: I'm glad you're able to stay positive, enjoy this time with your husband :hugs:

I think if we had g&a here like the UK then I would be able to put off an epidural. I was also very shaky BEFORE the epi. I felt like I was having convulsions, it was horrible. It was mostly adrenaline!!! I also got my epi at a good time where I could still feel when to push, I could walk right after birth, and my lo wasn't drowsy afterwards where he couldn't latch on. He latched on like a champ!! I definitely respect women who don't go for the epi though!! For me, it was the best decision and made my labor enjoyable rather than something I wanted to get over with. Everyone's different and I am already hating the debates there are bound to have in third tri forum!

Mindset and preparation go a long way :)

And G&A may not be widely available in the US, but I know it is available as I have many American friends who have used it. Might be worth asking your practitioner if its available or can be made available if its something you'd be interested in trying before going to the epi?
I've never used it personally cause here you get a mouthpiece like a snorkel kind of that you bkte down and breathe through and I don't like having things in my mouth and the one puff I took the rattling noise grated on me lol. But if it had a face mask like I've seen my North American friends use, then I probably would have ended up using it.

Mindset and preparation go a long way :)

And G&A may not be widely available in the US, but I know it is available as I have many American friends who have used it. Might be worth asking your practitioner if its available or can be made available if its something you'd be interested in trying before going to the epi?
I've never used it personally cause here you get a mouthpiece like a snorkel kind of that you bkte down and breathe through and I don't like having things in my mouth and the one puff I took the rattling noise grated on me lol. But if it had a face mask like I've seen my North American friends use, then I probably would have ended up using it.

Really..hmmm..I'll have to ask my dr about it. I've never heard of it being over here but maybe it's just not well known! :thumbup:

Anyone have an episiotomy without an epidural?

I got an epidural once I was 8cm dilated. In the end I am happy I got it because my daughter was 10lbs 1oz. I also needed an episiotomy. I can't imagine how that would have felt without an epidural.

I am either going to go for an elective C-section OR all the possible pain methods available - I'm scared of the scar not healing well when it comes to a c-section, not surgery itself as I've had plenty. If I go for a vaginal birth I'm terrified of pain - I have a low pain threshold and I have fainted while having a gallbladder attack, it was so excruciating and now I have medication for it but it takes 1hr for the medication to work and its so painful, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't really see why one needs to be in pain if it can be avoided. Also afraid of incontinence, tearing due to a vaginal birth. Pretty sure I will want to go for the c-section.

The thing with C-sections is the pain afterwards is a million times worse than with a vaginal birth. And takes a lot longer to heal from. At the moment of birth, C-section is the least painful and easiest but that only lasts for a short amount of time. Recovery is the real bitch :haha:

So sorry buffyx :hugs: I hope that you're able to relax and enjoy the rest of your honeymoon as much as you can xxx

I'm trying not to think too hard about the birth at this stage... I'd like to do it with just gas and air, but I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain. That said, I find the thought of an epidural or C-section pretty scary too! I'm certainly not going into hospital planning on either, but if I needed one then I'd have one.

I've been having pretty bad MS all week, so I ordered some seabands after some of the other ladies on this thread were discussing them. I woke up with terrible nausea/sickness again this morning and usually it lasts until lunch time, but my bands turned up at about 9 am and I put them on straight away and I feel like my MS really has eased off today. Not sure if it's just a fluke at this stage... but it's the best day I've had all week for MS.

I'm starting to get some nausea :nope: Started yesterday and carrying on to today. Seems like it's when I eat which is crap bc I want to eat constantly :haha: It's like it's stuck in my throat and I'm constantly getting that watery mouth feeling. Honestly, I'm scared SHITless!!!!! Last pregnancy was so rough with the ms and constant vomiting and work :cry: I don't want to do it again. I'm really hoping for an easier pregnancy.

Anyone have an episiotomy without an epidural?

I got an epidural once I was 8cm dilated. In the end I am happy I got it because my daughter was 10lbs 1oz. I also needed an episiotomy. I can't imagine how that would have felt without an epidural.

I'm pretty sure they just give you a local aesthetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->