2nd time round - what will you do differently?

icklemonster

Reaction score
I know there is a common belief that when expecting your 2nd child you tend to relax more towards pregnancy.

Is there anything any 2nd time Mum's think they will do differently this time in their pregnancy? Like odd glass of wine, runny eggs, pink steak, caffeine, more/less scans, read less/more, worry less/more etc. (No judging please!)

Also, I know it's a long way off for us 1st tri'ers but how did your last birth affect how you feel about birth this time round?

If this beany sticks around (fx) my plan is, I won't drink alcohol during 1st tri, and then I'll stick with a glass of wine each Saturday night like with DD. I'll try to limit myself to 2 cups of tea a day (I usually have 6!)

I think I was OTT with runny eggs last time given the british stampmarks so think I'll have runny eggs. Will steer clear of other foods though which aren't recommended though.

I had 7 scans in total last time, 5 private, this time I'm planning on sticking to 3 private and the 2 standard NHS ones.

With the birth my biggest fear is not getting an epidural :haha: I'm sure you're meant to forget for good, but since finding out I'm pregnant I've been having flashbacks of the pain :shrug: I was contracting for 38 hours with DD, and had an epidural for the last 7. It was the best feeling in the world when it started working and didn't cause any issues with pushing her out. So hope my birth is similar to last time, just without the first 31 hours of contractions :winkwink:

ETA - also interested to hear from those who are on their 3rd+ go!

I'm much less worried this time around. I've not felt the need to google everything either. I'm just enjoying not feeling sick (yet) and being able to lay on my stomach! I'm having a private scan at 16 weeks to find out the gender and I'm hoping I only have the 2 NHS ones (I had complications with my first so was scanned fortnightly)

As for labour, last time I was determined to do it without pain relief and had a birth plan written which obviously went out of the window once I experienced labour haha! This time I'm going with the flow and if I need an epi then I'll have one no problems!

When babies here I'm hoping to breast feed longer and just be a lot more chilled out. I'm also buying loads less this time, so much stuff got wasted last time.

I'm on my 3rd and don't plan to do much differently to the last 2 times. Food/drink wise I actually don't like or am indifferent to a lot of the things we're supposed to avoid and although I enjoy a glass or to of wine I don't struggle going without. The main food I'm trying to avoid is chocolate and other treats- I took eating for 2 way too seriously with my last 2 :blush:. I plan to celebrate my pregnancy more. I found, like a lot of 2nd timers do, that there wasn't as much excitement about my 2nd pregnancy except for from close family, and it made me a bit sad. This time I plan to do more to keep that excitement going, if only by myself. So regular bump pictures, a private scan just to enjoy seeing LO (I had extra scans before but for medical reasons so they were exciting but I as also nervous), other things I think of along the way that I can commemorate my pregnancy with :).

I want to enjoy pregnancy more - last time I moaned the whole way through (granted I was sick all 9months and developed SPD) but I didn't enjoy it, and when it was over I missed being pregnant. So far I'm not enjoying it because I'm being really sick again ... But I'm hoping it doesn't last as long or I just learn to deal with it so I can enjoy it. I want to take bump pictures. I didn't take any last time, (apart from on my due date) simply cause I'm fat anyway and I thought I didn't look pregnant just fat, lol, but I regret not having any.

Regarding the birth, I know it's something I can't really control but I don't want to be induced this time, I want to experience spontaneous labour and the whole 'is this it ?' Feeling.

I also want to try breast feeding this time, I didn't even try last time, I have flattish nipples (however they aren't as bad as they used to be) and was embarrassed and just assumed I couldn't. After a lot of research I know there is a chance I can so I at least want to try.

I also want to take more photos whilst they are newborn. Don't get me wrong I have 1000s photos of LO but there isn't THAT many of time being tiny tiny and I love looking through his first pictures I just wish I took more. Oh and I also want to get some professional newborn photos done.

Oh and I want to get out the house more. My DS had colic and reflux so used to cry all the time, and I was scared if taking him out incase of what people thought of me. But this time I know Ill go mad having 2 kids in the house so I plan on going out for a walk every day (plus I need to loose weight - which I didn't last time so that should help)

Ok I'm really excited now.

I won't do a lot different to be honest. I was pretty relaxed the first time round, and once I get a scan and know there is actually a bean in here I'll be pretty much the same. Like Eleanor Ace I don't eat a lot of the foods we have to avoid so that's not an issue, but I am still drinking tea, I will have the odd glass of wine, I am not stopping exercising and I am very loosely following the Slimming World plan as I put on 4-5 stone with my DD and I reallllllly want to avoid that this time.

Labour wise, I made no birth plan last time and will do the same this time round. I just don't think you can plan for that experience at all!!

This time I think I am more nervous than with my first. However I will be doing a few things differently. Firstly I will be eating runny eggs, as I love them! I won't be drinking as I don't really drink anyway so won't miss it.

When it comes to labour, hopefully I will be able to have a water birth like I wanted with my first. I was induced with DD and I had an epidural as I was just lying there for 2 days. I hope this time I can go to the hospital a bit later on and have a water birth.

I had 2 standard scans with DD but this time around I may get an private early gender scan as I'm very impatient! Xx

I'm on no.3. I won't be doing anything different really :flower:

I won't be paying for private scans or anything like that, don't see the point, I'd rather spend that money on baby and/or my other children. Each to their own though!

I will be avoiding booze and the foods we are supposed to avoid as before. ALso have cut rihgt down on caffeine

I might do monthly bump pics this time though which I never did before.

The only other thing that may be different is I am not nearly as broke as before so hopefully can buy more things new rather than relying on hand me downs.

ETA as far as birth goes, both were successful home births and I plan to have the same again.

I'm on my third and there's a couple of things I'll do differently ideally. I'd like to pay more attention to healthier food choices and cut back on diet fizzy drinks.

Id like to work longer into my pregnancy. Both the girls I left at 32 and 30 weeks. My body couldn't do it. This time round my job is more constant and tougher but ideally I'd like to get to 36 weeks, use three weeks holiday and start mat leave at 39 weeks.

I had a water birth with Maci so hoping for that again.

The biggest thing for me this time is I 100% intent to breastfeed and express. Hard though seeing as the only person supporting me 110% is my 17 year old sister.

I'd like to eat better this time not just eat anything and everything.
I didn't drink through last pregnancy so won't this time.

I had a pretty long labour and this time hoping to use the birthing pool.

I BF for 8 months so hoping to do the same again. I also hope to cloth bum from birth.

I want to enjoy pregnancy more - last time I moaned the whole way through (granted I was sick all 9months and developed SPD) but I didn't enjoy it, and when it was over I missed being pregnant. So far I'm not enjoying it because I'm being really sick again ... But I'm hoping it doesn't last as long or I just learn to deal with it so I can enjoy it. I want to take bump pictures. I didn't take any last time, (apart from on my due date) simply cause I'm fat anyway and I thought I didn't look pregnant just fat, lol, but I regret not having any.

Regarding the birth, I know it's something I can't really control but I don't want to be induced this time, I want to experience spontaneous labour and the whole 'is this it ?' Feeling.

I also want to try breast feeding this time, I didn't even try last time, I have flattish nipples (however they aren't as bad as they used to be) and was embarrassed and just assumed I couldn't. After a lot of research I know there is a chance I can so I at least want to try.

I also want to take more photos whilst they are newborn. Don't get me wrong I have 1000s photos of LO but there isn't THAT many of time being tiny tiny and I love looking through his first pictures I just wish I took more. Oh and I also want to get some professional newborn photos done.

Oh and I want to get out the house more. My DS had colic and reflux so used to cry all the time, and I was scared if taking him out incase of what people thought of me. But this time I know Ill go mad having 2 kids in the house so I plan on going out for a walk every day (plus I need to loose weight - which I didn't last time so that should help)

I had inverted nipples before having DD, and after breastfeeding for 10 months they are now permanently out. :thumbup:

This is my 5th pregnancy, I have what I want to eat within moderation (after 1st trimester) I have except in my 1st pregnancy had runny eggs as our chickens are vaccinated there is more risk of getting infection other ways.

I don't drink in 1st trimester, and only drink a very week shandy in other trimesters. I am not a big drinker anyhow.

It took till my 3rd baby to finally get BF and DD self weaned at 22 months, the key to that was support I drove everywhere to BF groups as it was very hard for me but I really wanted to succeed.

I also want a pregnancy photoshoot and newborn photoshoot.

First of all, Google was my enemy last time. I will not do that again lol
I complained all the time. I plan to try to enjoy this one a little bit more. Hoping I dont have morning sickness as bad.
Drink more water. I drank way too much soda and had a couple scares with him not moving.
I plan to stay at home longer when I start labor. I went in immediately after my water broke, even though I could have been perfectly comfortable at home. I would rather not be stuck in a hospital for 17 hours.
I plan to have a non medicated birth. Also my plan last time, but because I went in so early and forgot that I didn't have to lay down (lol), I ended up with pitocin and 2 epidurals.
I am determined to breastfeed this baby. Tristan and I only lasted about 3 weeks before I caved.

As far as pregnancy goes I'll stick to the nhs guidelines for what not to eat. I'm still drinking coffee right now (2 cups a day) but with my son I had a huge aversion yo tea, coffee and coke after about 6 weeks anyway.

I would like to take more bump pictures but honestly I loved being pregnant with my son and really cherished every day.

Birth wise anything other than another emcs would be wonderful. I'm really hoping for a vbac but I'll be Ok with a planned section if that's what I'm advised to do x

FOrgot to mention I plan to bf for up to a year again, DS was bf until nearly his first b-day and dd until around 8 months.

does anyone fancy getting one of those 3d printed model things done of bump? and/or holding new baby?? they have it in asda here lol!

I had inverted nipples before having DD, and after breastfeeding for 10 months they are now permanently out. :thumbup:

Can I ask how did you find breastfeeding at the beginning? Was it hard to do?

Can I ask how did you find breastfeeding at the beginning? Was it hard to do?

It was sore for the first few weeks, but I don't know if that was down to my nipple type. My best friend had told me to expect it for to be very painful initially and she has no idea on my nipple type. I think it was her honesty of how much it hurts early on which made me carry on as I knew there would be light at the end of the tunnel. It takes a while for your nipples to toughen up, and it didn't take long for mine to stick out all the time. LO never seemed to have any real problems getting milk, in fact I had very fast letdown, and she fed very quickly. So after a few weeks BF was very easy :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->