3 failed IUIs. How do you cope?

wow I just got back on here after a busy weekend and I was looking into trying some acupuncture...and here you ladies are talking about it...so now of course I have questions.

Did you start the acupuncture BEFORE your IVF cycle or just during the important times in the cycle? I will only be able to do acupuncture from cd 8 till right after my IUI because I will come back to where I live...Acupunture is not available here.

Hi TTCbaby. If I recall correctly, I did an acupuncture around CDs 5-7, then again at ovulation and again during the TWW. I think you would be okay to start at CD8.

Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Oh ok thanks! I sent off an email to the acupuncture center that my RE recommends and we will see what she says!

Hope you were able to work everything out with the acupuncturist, TTCbaby. I know in my own case it really helped relax me as I was a nervous wreck throughout the whole process!

well we are going to try and see each other on cd8 when I arrive...one time around IUI time...and then right after the IUI and before i head home...so lets hope that will help! It is very expensive so me and DH are trying to see if we can even afford to do it. The acupuncturist I contacted was specifically to fertility but my cousin is currently in the program and she said she can do the treatments but they wont be fertility related. She will only do just basic relaxation acupuncture...so that might be our only option as it is free. So we will see!

Hi ladies, mind if I join? I found out this week that my 3rd IUI failed. Now we're looking at IVF, but it will take us at least until this summer to save up for it. I'm just emotionally exhausted. And I know I want to do IVF but the cost and actual procedure are kind of overwhelming.

Ttcbaby: I saw a fertility acupuncturist and she mostly did relaxing points as well as a few in my abdomen and legs for uterine circulation. I think the most important thing is for you to relax, so of you are worried about the cost, etc., go with your cousin for the acupuncture. When will you start the whole IUI procedure? I'll be thinking of you and sending lots of positivity!!!

Stayhopeful: Welcome! I'm sorry about your third IUI failing, I know how devastating it is. When my third one failed it absolutely broke me and I couldn't even think about it without completely breakin down into tears. I had to take a TTC break to get emotionally ready for IVF. OH and I went away and took a break from all the fertility appointments and fertility drugs, I think it really helped. I was also completely overwhelmed by the thought of IVF, but it wasn't so bad. In hindsight it was rather easy, it was just the emotional part that was hard. It's a big step, but I think having a break until summer is not such a bad thing. I found a real life fertility support group and it really helped to connect with other women in the same boat. All the best to you!!

Good luck stayinghopeful. It's such a depressing process all if this. I think I spent most of the last year pretty significantly depressed over infertility.
:hugs:

Thanks, ladies. I took this IUI failing pretty hard, but now I'm just trying to look forward. Honestly, in some ways it's almost a relief to take a break for a few weeks. I feel like the entire last year has revolved around TTC. Now we're still trying and we're saving for IVF, but my life isn't revolving around doctor's appointments this month. And I'm starting to get hopeful about IVF.

Those of you who have been through IVF, what injectible med did you use? My doctor will use gonal f and I'm wondering about cost, side effects, etc. Also, my doctor recommended accupuncture and we're starting to look into it. How many times per week do I need to go?

Sashimi - thanks for the help...I spoke to my cousin and she is going to do my acupuncture for me. I am excited to try something else. In about a week af will be here and I will start my fert drugs...I believe we are trying for the IUI around December 22nd.

Stay - so sorry to hear about your IUI failing...I am about to start IUI number 2 and I was devastated after the last one didnt work. I also feel the same way about IVF...but the ladies here have really calmed my nerves about it. IF this is what we need to do to have our lil one then I say bring it on. Of course it took me a while to get to that point in believing that doing IVF is ok and that your baby will be healthy...at the end of the day...does it really matter what you had to do to get your lil one as long as you do get him/her? If this next IUI doesnt work for me then I will be trying for IVF next year. Of course, like you, I will have to save up for it. I believe I found a cheap place for the meds it is ivfmeds.com....they are out of the UK and they need 6 weeks to get the meds to you but I have found they are cheaper. Also you can try fertilityfreedom.com. Lastly, I have used gonal f for my IUI and will do it this cycle again. Also my dr said that is the same drug she woudl use for me shoudl I need IVF. I was ok on them and I didnt have any crazy s/e to speak of. Good luck hun and enjoy your lil break...sometimes us LTTTC need those breaks to keep our sanity!

Hi Ladies-

I googled 3rd failed IUI and what next and was directed to this thread.

I found out last week that my 3rd IUI, 2nd on injectibles ( Gonal ) failed. :bfn::nope:

I took the first two failures okay, but not this one. I could barely stop sobbing. Ugh. Then this weekend was my nieces 2nd bday party and my sister is pregnant again. UGH. So happy for them, but just so hard on me.

Then, when I went back for baseline last week to see if/how we wanted to start again I had a huge cyst that developed as a result of the meds. I am now on BCP to hopefully shrink my cysts by my appt this Friday ( Dec 7th ). If the cysts is smaller/ gone I have the option to do another IUI, do injectibles with TI, or take time off.

I am 31, DH is 40 and he is eager to get a move on. We have been married 3 yrs, TTC 1.5++ and are unexplained. No other children.

I have a LAP scheduled in Feb so part of me wants to wait until that is over to see if there are any problems, but part of me wants to try IUI #4 to maybe avoid the lap all together.

Any support or encouraging stories would be great!

What would you do? Wait for the lap to try another IUI? ( They dont suspect any issues but the lap is just to make sure. ) Try just w meds between now and then? Try totally on our own?

We have 2 more IUIs covered totally by insurance and then 3 IVF's if we decide to do that covered as well ( wont make that decision until I know what lap finds... )

Advice? Help? Positivity?

Good luck to all of you! :hugs:

Hi Ladies-

I googled 3rd failed IUI and what next and was directed to this thread.

I found out last week that my 3rd IUI, 2nd on injectibles ( Gonal ) failed. :bfn::nope:

I took the first two failures okay, but not this one. I could barely stop sobbing. Ugh. Then this weekend was my nieces 2nd bday party and my sister is pregnant again. UGH. So happy for them, but just so hard on me.

Then, when I went back for baseline last week to see if/how we wanted to start again I had a huge cyst that developed as a result of the meds. I am now on BCP to hopefully shrink my cysts by my appt this Friday ( Dec 7th ). If the cysts is smaller/ gone I have the option to do another IUI, do injectibles with TI, or take time off.

I am 31, DH is 40 and he is eager to get a move on. We have been married 3 yrs, TTC 1.5++ and are unexplained. No other children.

I have a LAP scheduled in Feb so part of me wants to wait until that is over to see if there are any problems, but part of me wants to try IUI #4 to maybe avoid the lap all together.

Any support or encouraging stories would be great!

What would you do? Wait for the lap to try another IUI? ( They dont suspect any issues but the lap is just to make sure. ) Try just w meds between now and then? Try totally on our own?

We have 2 more IUIs covered totally by insurance and then 3 IVF's if we decide to do that covered as well ( wont make that decision until I know what lap finds... )

Advice? Help? Positivity?

Good luck to all of you! :hugs:

So sorry to hear about your failed cycles and cyst.
I too, have a 2 year old nephew and my sister is pregnant just this past month ... I am happy for her, but at the same time I wish it was me with the good news.

That is so awesome you have IUI and ivf covered!!! That takes a lot of stress off of you!

I probably would do the remaining IUI's that are covered by insurance and then move on to ivf. Personally I am in my 2WW wait from third IUI. If this fails I'm on a break to save for ivf. But my insurance doesn't cover any of these procedures just a good portion of the meds.

Thank you! Sounds like we are in similar boats. Best of luck to you, stay in touch!

I'd do the rest of the IUIs first before the lap. I assume you've had all the other testing HSG etc? I never had a lap, my doctor said they're not really helpful if there's not a specific issue, even if they find endometriosis apparently removing that only ups fertility a little bit and its not permenant.

My 5th IUI finally worked, I didn't have anything covered by insurance though so I had a bit more motivation to exhaust all the lower cost things first. We're unexplained infertility If that helps.

I'd do the rest of the IUIs first before the lap. I assume you've had all the other testing HSG etc? I never had a lap, my doctor said they're not really helpful if there's not a specific issue, even if they find endometriosis apparently removing that only ups fertility a little bit and its not permenant.

My 5th IUI finally worked, I didn't have anything covered by insurance though so I had a bit more motivation to exhaust all the lower cost things first. We're unexplained infertility If that helps.

Congrats!!! 5th time was the charm! Thank you for your input and experience, please keep your fx for me that I have good news like yours to share soon too. I find out this Friday ( 7th ) if we can even proceed ahead with a 4th IUI this month or if we have to totally sit the whole thing out because of a cyst. I'm hoping BCP will shrink it enough.....

Good luck, sunshine! I agree, I would go ahead and do the IUI. I've heard the same thing about LAP procedures.

Fisher - I am not sure if I asked you this before..but in your failed IUI's did you get more than one follie? I only ask because I guess apart of me is wondering why my iui didnt work with such great numbers....as you can see in my siggy....maybe I have a fertilization issue is what I have been thinking...which I guess only IVF will remedy. Anyway, I will try this IUI in December but I am not feeling all that hopeful.

Fisher - I am not sure if I asked you this before..but in your failed IUI's did you get more than one follie? I only ask because I guess apart of me is wondering why my iui didnt work with such great numbers....as you can see in my siggy....maybe I have a fertilization issue is what I have been thinking...which I guess only IVF will remedy. Anyway, I will try this IUI in December but I am not feeling all that hopeful.

There's actually a whole thread "IUI reference numbers" with tons of pages if u want to look. I posted all my numbers then when they happened, so I just went back to look cause I don't remember:

Here's my post from the end of July:

"Hi Ladies! It's been months since I've posted but wanted to give an official update for the benefit of the reference list. I finally got my first every BFP (confirmed with a beta) on IUI #5, our 4th with Clomid 50... Here's the tally:

Married '06, Quit BCP 3/08, NTNP '09, TTC 3/10
Diagnosis = Unexplained Infertility
IUI#1 12/4/11 Unmed: BFN (1 follie, 3.2mil)
IUI#2 4/20/12 Clomid50: BFN (2 follies, 12.3mil)
IUI#3 5/17/12 Clomid50: BFN (3 follies, 17mil)
IUI#4 6/12/12 Clomid50: BFN (1 follie, 35mil)
IUI#5 7/7/12 Clomid50: (no ultrasound, 11mil)

I got the BFP the night of the 17th, so 10dpiui, and my beta 14dpiui was 214, I'm waiting for Monday now to check for doubling."

I don't know of that's helpful or not. Of course the month it worked I didn't have an ultrasound so I don't know how many follies there were. Because of course. If I had to guess I would say only one or two, that month I had three I was super uncomfortable. The second cycle that there was only one, there was a second but it was much smaller so the consensus on B&B was not to count it.

I was having the same thoughts after the June cycle failed. I was like "you know, this is dumb were just doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." I kind of decided that we should save up to move on to IVF because even though its not a "diagnostic test" I was like "maybe they'll be able to see if none of them are fertilizing or if they don't progress and maybe then well have a better idea of what's going on in there." So I scheduled my "what's the next step appointment" with the FS but she couldn't see us til August, so... They'll do as many clomid/IUI cycles as we want so I was like "I guess it's better than just BDing if there's more than one egg" (I just started a new job July 2nd so I wasn't sure I'd even be able to be off for an IUI -- we didn't do trigger shots or anything, my clinic bases IUIs on home OPK tests, so there's no way to control the date or anything)

hmmm that is interesting...thank you! could you give m the link to that other thread with the stats on it? i would love to check them out! thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->