3 hour between feeds or 4?

Connah'sMommy

Reaction score
So iv been maing up 6oz bottles as it varies as to how much LO will have.

From the advice some of the other mums on here have given me, i have been waking LO every 3 hours for a feed until his last feed at 11pm,after this feed he will sleep til 4am,back to bed for a few hours,up for the day at 6.30 and next feed at 8am.

The only slight problem i have is that sometimes through the day i will wake him for a feed,he will have 1/2oz then fall asleep but wake half hour/1 hour later for more... which leads me to think maybe he could go 4 hours between feeds???

Doing it this way will mean he has a feed at 12,4pm,8pm then bed...but still have a dreamfeed at 11pm...sleep til 4am,up at 6.30am next feed at 8am,12 etc....

Like i said,this is only a slight problem but its like were feeding him more or less constantly through the day.

So im due to wake him at 11am(5mins!)

What do you guys think?should i wake him?(he is sound asleep btw) or leave him til 12?

Thanks xxx

i would leave him if it were me, my little girl is breast fed and goes every 3 hours between feeds during the day, but i never wake her for a feed, so occasionally she will go an extra hour, he will let u know if he is hungry x

You could try going 4 hours. Ruby was ready to last 4 hrs during the day at 3 months but she's a very hungry baby, Connah might be ready now. I wouldn't let him sleep through any feeds though, being woken regularly through the day and fed is what will help your baby differentiate between night and day and therefore sleep longer at night. The thing with 'following the baby' is that they have 24 hour body clocks and most of us don't want to re inforce that!

i never woke my lo for feeds, imo they wake up when they are hungry, if he is only having 1/2 oz after being woken then it is probably because he dosnt need it yet / needs the sleep more. personally i would let him sleep and make up the 6 oz bottle whe he wakes up naturally.
if for whatever reason you need him to feed routinely then yes i would try every 4 hours, as it sounds like he isnt really hungry yet after 3.
my son fed on demand but was as regular as clockwork every 3 hours then gradually they spaced out a bit and feeds got dropped and he slept for longer periods at night, it worked out fine :)
do whatever works for you hun :)

You could try going 4 hours. Ruby was ready to last 4 hrs during the day at 3 months but she's a very hungry baby, Connah might be ready now. I wouldn't let him sleep through any feeds though, being woken regularly through the day and fed is what will help your baby differentiate between night and day and therefore sleep longer at night. The thing with 'following the baby' is that they have 24 hour body clocks and most of us don't want to re inforce that!

I bought the Baby Whisperer book you talked about in another thread where you said you got the routine from and it really good,let connah go 4 hours yesterday and woke him for a dream feed at 11 and he is sleeping til 4/4.30am still so i think i my have got it just right x

I never used to wake Charlie up for a feed but then when I think about it I never had to lol! Just do whatever you feel is best hun x

I bought the Baby Whisperer book you talked about in another thread where you said you got the routine from and it really good,let connah go 4 hours yesterday and woke him for a dream feed at 11 and he is sleeping til 4/4.30am still so i think i my have got it just right x

Great! Hope it continues. The only trouble I have with the 4 hour routine is that Ruby can't manage 2 hours of 'activity' time. So I just put her down for a nap earlier and then she's awake for a bit before the next feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->