35 and over/due in September

Hi Maybebaby3,

Tomorrow I get to see little blip on an ultrasound. Scheduled to make sure everything is alright. Have been feeling a little worried as I haven't put on a great deal of weight, as in I lost 5kgs in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and today I weighed myself at the doctors office and only put on 2kgs in the past 4 weeks, so a little worried. Doctor said that is perfectly normal, but all I want to do is make sure there is still a heartbeat. I am scaring myself silly really, but I just want to know. Still haven't felt any movement and I think I am 16+2 or 3 today. People are telling me that I may not feel anything for a little while longer, but of course just another worry to add to my list. MIL has been asking all these questions about have I felt the little one move yet? When I told her no, she's like well it should have moved by now and I should have felt it by now, but no I cannot feel anything, so again more worry. Anyway, I will know tomorrow and I'm hoping beyond hope all is ok.

You can't half tell I'm a first time mum hey.

Thank you for saying hi.

Hi all,

This morning I got to see my little blip on the ultrasound. Everything is great, master/miss is growing well, heart beat is normal, everything is normal. I even got to see its face (what the ultrasound technician called "scary face" because it looked like one of those skeleton photos), but I got to see anyway. She measured the thigh bone, and declared it all normal. I am so glad. A week and a half and we'll find out the sex of the baby at my 19 week scan. Really can't wait for that one.

Anyway, that's my update for the night.

Glad all went well Barbi :)

I Had gender scan but baby rather uncooperative!!! Umbilical cord between legs. He is 99% sure boy tho. Going back free of charge next week to confirm. DD not happy as she wanted a sister!

good news / bad news for me....did the triple screen test, and AFP came back elevated at 3.2 MOM, instead of 2.3 MOM. 12 week scan showed a healthy baby, with really low Nt = 1.0mm!! and my DS came back 1 in 10,000 [not bad for an old gal, 46! heh these are my own eggs, it was a spontaneous pregnancy].

don't have the other values yet, but has anyone had similar situation? We will have a level 2 scan in a few weeks, instead of a month...

I have a lot pre-disposed conditions to possible normally elevate the AFP, but can't locate a baseline AFP pre-pregnancy to know what is the real skew :S.

comments anyone?

The nuchal is more reliable than the afp I think. I've heard of lots of false positives!

Too bad Maybebaby3, at least you get to go back and see again. I'm sure your DD will be happy once the baby arrives no matter what it is. Good luck with it.

Rashaa, can you tell me what AFP stands for? I'm in Australia and it is possible they use different terminology here as I cannot seem to make out what your results mean. I know what you mean when you put NT, as that part is the same here, but not the other abbreviations. In any event, I didn't have any invasive tests, i.e. the CVS (Chorionic Villus Sample) or the Amnio test, they are way too high for complications for my liking, and there is no need to do them if I am going to keep the baby no matter what the results.

Maybebaby3, I'm having a further scan on 15 April 2013 which is my 19 week scan, hopefully then master/miss will be positioned well enough to see what the gender is. Today I went OP shopping and found the most adorable khaki green cordroy pants in size 2 that I just couldn't resist, it has Baby Sylvester written on the back and two large pockets on the front with baby sylvester pictures embroidered onto them. Just had to buy them, they are still brand new with the original tags on them, but I got them for a bargain in the op shop. I have to say, I won't follow my mother's recommendations that I shouldn't buy any clothes for the baby until it is born, she says she is too superstitious to do so. I think though that was her response to my mother in law buying our first baby jump suit last week just before Easter and so that was her response to that situation. Lol, the mother in laws' wars have started.

Hi Barbie, afp sands for alpha fetoprotein. If really high sometimes indicates neural tube defects....not very reliable though,it seems.

I see Rashaa, so that result might be indicative of possible spina bifida I believe? Rashaa, don't stress too much about it, unless you want to know for sure whether that is the case I wouldn't go through any further invasive tests to determine for sure. Of course the choice is very much up to you and your partner and nobody else.

When I got my result of 1 in 26 chance that my baby could have Downs, my friends and family all rallied around me to say that the blood test is only a possibility, not a probability, and that flipping the coin and saying that I have 25 chances that my baby is fine and does not have Downs Syndrome is a good way of looking at it.

My partner said to me that I should focus on the positives, like when we went for our 12 week scan and saw our little blip moving around in there and putting both its mitts up against its face whilst the ultrasound technician was viewing everything and measuring every part, and then when she told us that the NT scan was normal at 1.3mm, that's what we have to remember. The fact is I am an older mum for a first time mum as well at 37 years, and if I decided to have any invasive tests and found out that my child did have DS, to start with I always said I would not carry on with the pregnancy. My partner just said that every pregnancy could result the same way and then we would never have any children.

Finally, Rashaa my ex partner before my current one was born with Spina Bifida. His non growth of the spine was internal, as in if you could put a finger through directly the center of his stomach and went all the way to the back towards his spine, you may have touched his spinal cord instead of his spine bone. He was told at a very early age that he would be in a wheelchair by the time he was 40 years old. He of course was very positive in his outlook on life and began training with weights to strengthen his upper body so as to support his spine. He is now 50 years old, is a personal trainer and a physiotherapist for elderly people. He is not in a wheelchair, although apart from spina bifida, he also has other bone conditions, which did not develop until later in his life, i.e. around 38 years old and he is still walking around unaided.

Barbi at your scan they should see other markers re downs like if baby has a nasal bone it's less likely they have downs

We put a deposit to order out buggy :) going for a bugaboo bee!

I am trying to keep cool. It's a screening number, and like you guys said, tons of false positives! Besides my number isn't very high. Will keep you posted whenI hear or see more.

Thanks for listening

Hi Rashaa and Maybebaby3,

Rashaa, it certainly is just a screening number, I think of it as a possibility not a probability at that stage. Let us know how you are moving along with it, and if you want to have further tests, that is your prerogative (you and your partner) not anybody elses, same goes for not having any more tests.

Maybebaby, I have heard about the nasal bone marker and at my last ultrasound, which was last Wednesday at 16 weeks and 3 days, I asked the technician if she could show me the profile of the baby's face. She did show me the face, but not profile, which looked a bit like a picture of skeletons and wasn't very easy to see the nasal bone. The technician did not make me feel very welcome and made me feel a bit like you are wasting my time now by being overprotective/overanxious. She pretty much told me to shut up almost when I was asking questions and wouldn't even take a look in case baby was in a good position for possible gender recognition. I know I am only 16 weeks, but knowing that I was two weeks away from having my 19 week scan and the fact that most babies do not co-operate with positions so as to be able to tell the gender, I thought I'd ask, just in case, because we want to know. She pretty much shut me down before I even finished asking the question. Anyway, I guess I am just going to have to wait for next week when I will see a different ultrasound technician at a different clinic.

I hear the pram you have ordered is very good, we are placing a deposit on ours next weekend, we have picked a Velco pusher, with three wheels and a basinett that fits into the pram backwards whilst baby is really young and can be used without basinett at later stage when baby is older as well.

Raasha :hugs: keep us posted!

Barbi as we already have 3 kids (ages 7,5,2) we needed the smallest and lightest buggy possible :haha:

Anyways off to work now! Have a good day xxx

Hiya im 38, 39 in May and due baby number 4 in september. I also have a 19 month old, being a older mum is so rewarding. I have two older children and can safely say, im far more patient now. Congrats on your pregnancy...enjoy :) xx

Hello ladies... visiting from second tri. I am 36 and DH and I are expecting our first baby on September 2nd... labor day in the US... hope that's a good omen (lol).

We are lttc and are so excited for the little one!:happydance:

Well it's official! We are team :blue: DD is not taking it well as she was desperately hoping for a sister! Now she will have 3 brothers!

Hi ladies,

We are having a girl apparently. I had been thinking all this time that I was having a boy (guess my mother's intuition is not working very well). I had a pretty full on weekend with OH organising without me and at short notice a birthday bbq for the whole family at our place, plus a candle party that I organised for the same night like months ago. I had been cleaning all day Saturday and then entertained the troops (which consisted of over 30 odd friends, family and children in our little home). That night I had a dream that the baby stuck it's head out of my belly and told me that she was a girl not a boy. Today that seems to have been confirmed, the baby is a girl, no little willy to see. I am yet to pick up the results of the scan, including the report until later today, then off to my doctor for checkup and going through the results. Wish me luck everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->