3am wide awake after biggest scare with LO!

Tonight has been hell it's almost 3am and every few minutes I'm waking up to him coughing or gagging. Three times now since 11:25pm(when we went to bed) to 3am(now) he has choked 3 times so me and dh have jumped up freaking out trying to pick him up and pat his back, nothing ever comes out. But he spits up a lot when he burps and in between feedings.
I have my 6 week pp in the am, can't believe my baby is 6 weeks old already :cry: it goes to darn fast!! But as soon as I get out I will be calling to make him a dr appointment. They will be putting him on medicine this is horrible and my nerves can't take it. We didnt get to see his normal dr bc she doesnt work Friday's, so I think if we had saw her she would've put him on medicine because I told her about his reflux problem back 3 weeks ago. He had no problem when bfing or when I pumped makes me even more sad I gave up under stress :(

LO sleeps in my arms sorta siting up or proped up tilted on his side in his boppy. But Ed mostly in my arms.

My baby did this a few times when he was really little, scared me to death too! He was choking on it so bad I had to use a nasal aspirator to try and suck it out of his mouth and nose.

Was also going to mention, when mine is sick, I put him to sleep in his infant car seat so that he is elevated, and his passages can drain better. I fasten him in it, and set the whole thing right in his crib and turn vaporizer on in his room. Our pediatrician recommended that to me after the choking incident. She also told me when they are that little, they are far more likely to choke/gag/vomit due to mucus because their gag reflex is so much stronger when they are little.

LO was put in Zantac for reflux! Fingers crossed it works!!

The Rock'n'Play sleeper is an absolute lifesaver for refluxy newborns: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22

Something about the way it positions them keeps the spit-up at bay. I don't know how we would've survived the first few months without it!

bluehada- i'm so sorry. wow, i don't even have words. :hugs: :angel::angel:

as for the OP, zantac should hopefully help out. my baby had bad reflux too at first and choked quite a bit, totally freaked me out! the one thing i recommend is to turn their head to the side if you see them vomiting and baby is laying down- this is what you would do with an adult as well. and laying them on their side to sleep is sometimes helpful.

if you sit the baby up make sure not to pat baby's back as this can make it worse for them/unable to catch their breath. i just know that because i was a lifeguard for a long time. so the doctor just said it was reflux?

I know exactly how you feel as my daughter has a "floppy larynx" which meant she often choked, sometimes 2-3 times a night. She did it in her pram, car seat, cot :(

She sleeps on her front because of it and it helped loads. I am still nervous now about her sleeping that way but she doesn't choke anymore.

Quite often I would be too scared to put her back in her crib and spent the night awake and cuddling her.

bluehada- i'm so sorry. wow, i don't even have words. :hugs: :angel::angel:
Oh no, sorry, I think you misunderstood my post!! After rereading it, I can understand why. In my first few sentences it sounds like the last time meant she died. :cry: Oh, that thought is too horrible to even contemplate. I just meant that the sleep apnoa episodes stopped when she was 20 months old (she was put on reflux medication around 18 months). We did almost loose her many, many times before getting the medication, but by the Grace of God, she's fine. She's alive and well and a healthy 9-year old today! Without the Angelcare, she probably wouldn't have been, so I'm really a big fan of every mom getting an Angelcare.

bluehada- oh my goodness! you have no idea how relieving it is to hear that i just read your post wrong... i think we all can agree that just the thought of losing them is too much- but there still are some amazing babies in heaven watching over their momma's.

that sounds so scary that you had to go through that to get medication and figure it out. so happy your little babes is okay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->