40+ and Trying for 1st? Join in!!

I'm going to a open day for a fertility clinic next weekend (this one is for natural/mild ivf and then got one with conventional if week after).
Just wonder if anyone can give me any pointers into what I need to ask when I'm there as I would like to prepare myself properly and make the most of it. It's my first time and feeling a bit clueless at the moment :shrug:

Hi Weezy, will have a think and answer later, got to dash for now. as you can see from my signature I've done this a few times (though never 'gentle IVF')! x

Hi Weezy
I would ask:
both for clinical pregnancy rates (ie positive test) as well as live birth rates for your age group and on the protocols that you would be treated with.
Complete costs for treatment and for the drugs involved (I'm assuming you are paying yourself)
What tests they need to do in advance of treatment (eg AMH, progesterone, oestrogen, etc) and additional costs
What their expectations are in terms of how many eggs they would expect collect
Will they freeze any extra embryos created that are suitable for freezing
What the actual proposed treatment plan would be
The arguments for natural IVF vs regular IVF (ie why do one rather than the other) and scientific evidence for any figures they quote you
Criteria for treatment (if any)
I think thats about all, you need to feel happy and comfortable with the clinic you go with and confident that they have your best interest at heart. However, ultimately these places are businesses and need to make money so they will always have an eye on cash and success rates.
I hope that helps, just don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly you may think they are. Theses people are working for you so get your monies worth! Best of luck, let us know how you get on. xx

Pussycat
Thanks for the pointers, it's put me at ease a little bit.
Yes, we're self funding for the treatments which is partly why we need to find out as much as possible.

I had my some blood test yesterday with my GP. Strange as the doc is doing my day 21 progesterone, blood count and FSH test at the same time. The doc said it really doesn't matter about my FSH not being at day 2-3 days, we'll have to see what happens.

Thanks very much. Will update to let you know how it all went :flower::angel:

I would ask whether they do assisted hatching and/or ICSI, how often you are monitored, what is maximum number of embryos will they transfer, what is weekend availability, how much freezing costs and for how long, what are the odds for someone in your situation, how long will the entire process take?

Read up about IVF online or get a book and that way you understand what the doctors are saying. They are going to talk fast, because they have been giving the same spiel to everyone, so ask him/her to repeat stuff you don't understand, and go over it until you feel sure about what they are saying.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks Terri. I have read the "The complete guide to IVF" and some research online so I have some knowledge....just that it takes me a bit of time to digest what people are talking about. I'm sure I'll catch on after these 2 open evenings

Wheezy, just to add. Open evenings are great for a general overview but remember they will pitch best case scenarios, you really need to drill them down to specifics for you, ask as many questions as you want, make the most of it! X

My reminder just went off that it's time for my last menopur injection. I haven't been around on b&b but will be going in for EC on Wednesday. (!!)

Trying to catch up on what everyone has been up to... Briss I had to google what's in your signature! Good lord girl, SO glad you are okay and recovering. Am very very happy for you Emmi and Peachy I hope your EC goes smoothly! Much love all around.

Hey future, best of luck for Wed! Do you have an estimate for how many eggs they expect?
Weezy, how did you get on with the clinics?
How's everyone else?
xx

Worse birthday present in my entire 42 years of my life. AF came on the day of my birthday :nope:
Pussycat, I went to the open day on saturday and it was ok. This is the one for the natural/Mild IVF. The talk tells us the benefits of Natural/ Mild IVF and the reason for making such choice.
Some of us more mature ladies does not respond well to the drugs in conventional IVF (some of us suffer OHSS) so rather than trying to try a get lots of eggs, they monitor our natural cycle, and maybe dispense a very low dosage of drug to retrieve one or a couple of eggs that is of quality (they also retrieve immature eggs and monitor and mature the egg in the lab).
One of the lady who work there has PCOS and have had 3 conventional IVFs...she does not respond well to IVF drugs and eventually suffered a heart attack. Then she did mild IVF and it worked for her. Turn out she was over stimulated that had cause 3 failed IVFs.
I then had a 10 minute private chat with the consultant, and he looked at some of the test results I had from the NHS and said there doesn't seem anything majorly wrong with me but he advise me to do a fertility MOT to check my AMH, ovarian reserve, my uterus etc to see exactly why I haven't been able to conceive for 2 years and go from there...before they will advise on treatment.
When I asked about egg freezing, he said at my age, they will not be freezing any of my eggs.
Its a third of the price of normal IVF and a cycle is only the length of my natural cycle, if its natural IVF you can get straight back to doing another cycle next month (Mild, every other month) because it's far less invasive, so it's tempting in that respect. I will definitely take up the advise on doing the MOT fertility test to find about my ovarian reserve etc. and I may consider doing one cycle there while I'm researching more on normal IVF....but I'll wait until next tuesday once I've been to the other open day first before making any decisions.

Mild IVF sounds interesting but not sure that my clinic offers it. Hoping against hope that if this cycle is unsuccessful that there will be a frostie for FET.

Pussycat I think there will be 10-11 eggs. There were 3 @ 19 yesterday so hoping for quality. It's all such a big unknown. Will they fertilize? Is there fragmentation? Will they survive assisted hatching? Will any survive to blast? Is my lining TOO thick? Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Weezy I know we don't WANT to see our AF show, but I try to remind myself that it is our body getting ready for my next attempt. And that has to be better than not being able to try! Happy Birthday... have a glass and a piece of cake knowing you are being proactive about future cycles.

Kaysbc your chart looks really good.

futurebbmoma, I hope your egg retrieval goes well tomorrow. I'm probably two days behind you, and my follicles are looking pretty good, so I'm also hoping I have enough for a frostie this time around. Last time they returned three, and I didn't have any left to save. So they increased my meds early on with hopes of producing more follicles. I'm out of insurance money until January, so I'm hoping this time it works.

Happy belated birthday, Weezy, and hopefully the mild IVF works for you. I also think it's smart for you to get other tests done before going into IVF. You should know what the problem is before trying to fix an unknown. Good luck.

Future / Terripeachy, good luck ladies!
Weezy, I'm sorry you had such a crap birthday. I do know how you feel I'm 43 and in my cycles seemed to respond better (or at least the same) on clomid rather than all the IVF injections. I'd definitely get the fertility MOT, AMH, FSH, etc it will give you an idea of how you might respond and also how much time you have to think of things. My clinic never offered the natural IVF option.
I had my bloods done today for immune testing, it felt stupidly emotional to be back at the clinic. I won't get the results for three weeks, more waiting... In the mean time I've confirmed with the clinic in Czech Republic that I want to go ahead with DE and it looks like first week in Feb is the plan. Now I just need to see whether these tests show anything or if I'm just very unlucky and that's why my DE cycle failed. I know all my cycles with my own eggs failed because of poor egg quality. I sometimes wonder what is occupy my mind with if I wasn't thinking of all this .... x

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!!
Yes you're right, Futurebbmomma, at least I know I still have a chance to carry on trying and that's way better than not even having that chance.
Futurebbmomma/ Terri, very best of luck with the egg retrievals, I got everything crossed for you ladies.
Pussycat, not sure where you are based, I'm based in the UK, and all fertility treatment is self funded by the time we reach 39. I don't know if you want to look into this Natural/Mild IVF, if you do let me know and I'll send over some information. The oldest patient they treated with own eggs was 48 years old and they don't pick easy cases and would happily look into poor egg quality xx

Hi Weezy, yes I'm in the UK (south coast of England), but have run out of faith (and funds) with my own eggs. I'm struggling to convince DH to have another go so this will be the last. I have to give myself the best chance possible and that has to mean donor eggs. However I'm not prepared nor can I afford to pay my clinic in the UK any more money. Czech Rep. Is half the price (c£4k all in) and lots of ladies on other DE forums have had good results with them. I'm at the end of a long journey and it's taken me a long time to reach this stage. I never thought I'd be here using someone else's eggs and still failing 😢 x

I trigger tonight for retrieval at 9am on Friday morning. They said I have 18 follicles; 9 on each side. I'm pretty happy with try #2. The meds were increased this time around, and hopefully all will go well this time around. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I'll take all the prayers I can get!

Go Terri!

Ok, look at my freak chart. To top it off, I had a bowel movement this afternoon and thought I was feeling EWCM when I wiped...instead got a big glob of brown/dark blood. Nothing has come out since...only some brown tinge when I wipe. This is only cd15!!! No cramps, no nothing indicating AF is coming.

Doxie-Whoa..I have no idea what's going on. Very interesting though. ha!

Don't you love it when you have no clue wtf your body is doing!?!

We'll see if I have full bleed tomorrow am or not. Blah.

Terri, that's an amazing number! You must have great AMH levels! I only ever got 4! With that number hopefully you've got a good one in there! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->