40+ and Trying for 1st? Join in!!

Thanks Weezy,
I have been busy with all the other things that take up a life! Looking after my 80+ year old parents who now live with me, having MIL to visit a few times a month so she doesn't get lonely after FIL's death. Then work and part time study! Don't get much time to think about TTC - which is a good thing.
I remember thinking after my mc 2 years ago that the worst thing that could happen in my life would be not having a child. Now as I get older and the likelihood of a BFP lessens, I realise that I am more ok with my life and that I do a lot of caring and nurturing for others anyway!
I still love lurking and reading and hoping for BFP's on this thread xx

I spent tonight finishing up my RE online profile, had to get my vaccines list finished. I have all my test results printed out & ready to go for tomorrow's appointment. I'm hoping the next step is the HSG, which should be in about a month, after my regular GYN follow up (not sure what she's following up, the fibroids, I guess). I will ask the RE if there's any other testing that needs done, too. Might as well get it all over with. The info they gave me about my insurance states that once I start any meds or IUI, my coverage is over, so I want to do as much as I can now.

Hey Clizzard, gosh you have a lot to cope with! I know exactly what you mean about accepting it may never happen as you get older, with each failed cycle I'm getting closer to that acceptance. I think for my own sanity I have to accept that. If I don't get a BFP next week (which I'm really not feeling positive about as I'm feeling exactly the same as every other failed cycle), then we have the 2 frosties (if they survive the thaw), then that's it we give up on me ever carrying a child and move on to adoption 😔
Jean, good luck with your appointments, sounds like a plan to get as much done as you can now. Would your insurance cover immune testing (thrombotic risk, raised NK cells?), if so and you can persuade them to do it, I'd get them done. They're expensive tests. xx

When I asked for the list of things insurance covered, the immune stuff never came up and I didn't read this before going to my appointment. I just got back, such an exhausting drive to and from. I rushed to get there and had to wait almost an hour anyway, they got behind, which is what I get for the last appointment of the day. Didn't get out until almost 6pm, the last patient there.

So, RE said my numbers look ok for my age and we went over the low rate of pregnancy and high rate of miscarriages in my age range. Yada yada, I've heard it all before, I know. Anyway, I go for my HSG next Wed morning, get more blood work done for prolactin and TSH. I also met with the nurse who discussed the drugs. Oh, did I mention there are needles coming? Clomid, Bravelle, and an HCG trigger. Not wasting time! Hopefully if the HSG is clear, moving on to IUI as soon as I get the money. I'm working on that part.

Holy moly, now I get to Google all this new info all weekend. Scary and exciting at the same time!

Jean-Yup..it's scary and exciting. If you have any questions, just ask. One tip on the prolactin..no nipple stimulation (love that term) the day before your exam. I had high levels and I had to do a retest and the nurse said it might have been because hubs and I got jiggy with it the night before. HA!!HA!! I repeated the test and everything was fine.

Yeah, no wasting time..let's get this baby!

Jean--It's always good to be moving forward. My only experience so far with needles has been with ovidrel. That needle is really short and painless. I've done it myself without issue. The money issue is a huge hurdle, GL with getting that part in order.

Pussycat--If I've learned anything from being on B&B and obsessively analyzing charts on FF, it's that BFPs come in all shapes and sizes. From cycles that were exactly the same as AF cycles to cycles that were completely different. Don't give up hope!

Clizzard--Good to hear from you. Sounds like you have a super busy household!

bella--Any updates? Did AF come yet or are you still waiting?

Hi Terri & Weezy!

Got the blood drawn this morning, got the results as I left work. My TSH is about the same as it was last year, on the low side of normal 1.19 uiU/mL (range 0.40-4.20). Now the prolactin is high, but not super high, and no, no nipple stimulation in the past who knows how long. It came back as 38 ng/mL, range for non-pregnant adult females is 3.8-23.0, pregnant (third trimester) is 95-473.0, and postmenopausal females is 2.7-19.6. From what I'm googling, it might be due to hypothyroidism. It might also be caused from some medications & I take a beta blocker, so that might be it. We'll see what RE says. Maybe I'll have to take some mild thyroid meds.

Not so concerned about giving myself injections, I got a bit of cushion on the tummy to do it in, lol. The nurse was giving me barely an overview of the injectables since I work in the medical field, even joking that I probably could draw my own blood for the tests. Well, this morning, the phlebotomist was having a hard time with my difficult veins & I did help get the needle in the right spot & pushing in the right spot for it to flow. Yeah, I guess in a pinch, I could draw my own blood, lol. It's just hard getting the turniquet on by myself.

Jean--I have hypothyroidism and asked to have my prolactin checked. It was done in the afternoon and came back on the high side (21), so it was tested again in the morning with fasting and it came back at 7. Not sure the circumstances of your blood draw, but it can make a difference. Another reason for high prolactin is pregnancy--have you gotten AF yet??

As for thyroid meds, your TSH result on its own is fine. (And just like the FSH test, a high result indicates low function and vice versa...so a low TSH would indicate hyperthyroid not hypo.) However, for lots of people the TSH doesn't even begin to tell the story. Some call it a useless test, though I won't go quite that far. At any rate, if you think you may have a thyroid problem read up on symptoms for hypo- and hyper- if you aren't familiar. It can def cause infertility and can be a total bi@$& to sort out.

I know you work in a hospital so I am sorry if you already know all of this!

I think I'm going to see what the RE and my GYN say about this. The more I read, the more my prolactin level can indicate a microadenoma, so maybe a head MRI will be next. I will ask to repeat the test first & try fasting. He told me to just go do it, nothing about fasting or anything. I did have some cereal a couple of hours before I got it drawn yesterday. If I have to take meds for it, then that would be a simple fix. Much better than surgery.

Absolutely no on pregnancy, not even ovulated yet this month, SO in another country still (will be back late next week).

Clizard, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Nurturing elderly parents can be fulfilling but don't forget to take some time for yourself!

As for me, I've been really busy which is good it keeps me from googling. I finally had a blood test the day before yesterday and it came back a BFN. I was surprisingly not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. I think DH was more disappointed that I was. He immediately said, when we get back home let's make an appointment at the IVF clinic. I'm not sure I'm ready for full stim IVF. I had wanted to try mild stim IVF first, but that means a trip to London whereas the other clinic is a two hour drive.
Anyway, he took me out for pancakes afterwards and then AF finally showed up this morning on CD32. I had a LP of 15 days, which is the positive in the story! I'm hoping it doesn't continue to get longer and longer and longer...and it's just a result of my taking a B complex the past 4 months.

Hi Bella, so sorry to hear that it's a definite negative, but glad that you can see the positive side of this. IVF is really nothing to be afraid of, if it gets to where you want to be... x

Hi Ladies,
Sorry it has been several days since I have been on.
I'm trying to catch up. I so enjoy reading your posts. Pussycat -stay positive. I'm not a "tree hugger " or anything but I do believe our emotions effects our health. Do you mind if I give you a cyber hug? (((pussycat))).

As for me, I haven't gone to the Dr yet. My Bf and I decided to try for a couple months. I ordered Clearblue ovulation test strips after reading a ton of reviews online. They came 2/9. I tested and got a smiley face. I thought that was early because I had just had Af from 1/30-2/4ish (you know how she can hang on a little). Anyway...bf and I dtd that day. On
2/14 and 2/15 I was crampy and had some pain the lower left area below my navel. Since then....crickets. My 42nd birthday is 2/25. I bought some tests and planned on testing on my bd even though af isn't due for a visit until the 27th. Last night I wake up at 4:00am and go for it. I think I may possibly see a very very very faint double line....which means positive. Seriously it is so faint you have to squint your eyes, tilt your head to the side and stand on one leg. BUT I'm going to stay positive. Aaahhh.....come on February 25th!!! So anxious to test again!!

Bella, really sorry to hear of the negative result and AF Grrrrr... but I'm glad you can see the positive side of it and your DH is so keen to take steps to proceed.
I was exactly like you about a year ago with wanting to try the mild IVF first and really not ready for the full on IVF (and I guess I'm still not mentally) but when I sit down and think long and hard, I just thought I'll close my eyes and go with it. Weather it works or not, I would have learnt a bit more about my body....and hopefully speed up the process to where I want to be. It'll all be fine sweetie : )

HI Ladies,

Sorry I havent been active. I would say I have a lot going on, but I was just lazy. Anyway...I was hoping to read some positive news, but it is hard to keep hopes up when we are of a particular age. I have some potential positive news....I ordered some ovulation tests strips from Amazon and found out that I ovulate pretty early after my cycle. The kits came on 2/9 and my BF and I DTD. The next day I tested and it said I was not ovulating (or whatever a "O" means vs the day before which had a smiley face). Fast forward to 2/14 and 2/15. I was crampy and tired. It felt like AF was knocking and getting ready for a visit. She is not expected until 2/27. So since then...nothing. Crickets. This morning at 4am, I wake up to use the bathroom. I decided to take a pregnancy test, knowing that it would be negative, however there is a faint faint faint double line... so faint you have to stand on one leg and tilt your head to the side with one eye closed. Two double lines means pregnant. No...dont get excited yet. I just called a friend of mine who works at the Heath Department. She is bringing me another test which she feels is very accurate. Keep hope alive!! By the way...Im giving you all hugs. I know I need one myself from time to time.

So the test I took this evening said not pregnant. Obviously it wasn't the first urine of the day. I will see what happens in a few days.

Bella--sorry about AF but yay for a full length LP. Keep moving forward thinking positively. :flower:

Lenise--will totally be checking back in the morning for your next result! Baby dust to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->