4mm cervix- ptl concern///UPDATE: Beautiful boy born 29w 6d

myra

Reaction score
At my scan this week, they found my cervix has shortened to only 4mm (no dilation). I had a couple days with a few minor contractions leading up to this. Docs are concerned about pre-term labor. They didn't recommend the cerclage or vaginal progesterone (they usually do that earlier in pregnancy). Instead they inserted a rubber pessary ring that should help stop the cervix form shortening any more. I've also been put on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy. The goal is to get to at least 32 weeks with this support.

At 30 weeks, my sister had a 1.5 cm cervix. They put her on progesterone and bed rest and she delivered a healthy baby girl at 38 weeks.

Have any of you used the pessary? Or even had a cerclage/progesterone around this time? and how much longer were you able to carry?

Thanks!

UPDATES:
**Water broke 27w and 6 d

** Delivered a beautiful, healthy boy at 29w and 3d

I don't have any experience of this but have had lots of pre term labours! I think you'll get a better response if you post in gestational complications or ask the lovely ladies on the cerclage thread! (In gest comp) :thumbup:
Wishing you all the best in your pregnancy!

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the gest. complications forum. I'll post over there now.

At my scan this week, they found my cervix has shortened to only 4mm (no dilation). I had a couple days with a few minor contractions leading up to this. Docs are concerned about pre-term labor. They didn't recommend the cerclage or vaginal progesterone (they usually do that earlier in pregnancy). Instead they inserted a rubber pessary ring that should help stop the cervix form shortening any more. I've also been put on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy. The goal is to get to at least 32 weeks with this support.

At 30 weeks, my sister had a 1.5 cm cervix. They put her on progesterone and bed rest and she delivered a healthy baby girl at 38 weeks.

Have any of you used the pessary? Or even had a cerclage/progesterone around this time? and how much longer were you able to carry?

Thanks!

I hope he stays put!

I had my preterm labor stopped at 28 weeks (was given magnesium, pills, steroid injections) and was sent home on bed rest. I was dilated 1 cm. I wasn't given anything to take home and insert or take, but I do some things at home to prevent contractions if they get too frequent - epsom salts baths, magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement, relaxing music. I even had a half a glass of red wine and it worked wonders (even though I have been and still am opposed to any alcohol intake). I am almost 32 weeks and like you I was hoping to get at least there. I hope you find your answers and there's no further activity with your cervix! :flower:

I had three Preterm babies and been preterm since 4 months but I do want to say withone baby I was 4 centermeter dialated from 32 weeks and stayed that way till 36 weeks...

if that gives any comfort at all.....I was put on strict bed ret and bedrest I stayed with three young children..I took whatever help I could and stayed plopped on the couch...

good luck, I hope you stay cooking at long as you can...

I think as long as you stay as much stress free as you can...as long as you can stay off your feet and as hydrated as you can....and do whatever else your doctor prescribes and says you will be good to go..

goo luck hun....xo

Thanks!

Hi Myra, on 3/26 my CL was 1.1cm and I had a pessary put in too. At my recheck on 4/2 it was 1.0cm so it was staying about the same with the pessary. Before that (3/22-26) I was using the progesterone, but now that my pessary is installed I dont use the progesterone. All of my CL check data is on the first page of my journal. I have been on strict bed rest since 3/20 and it doesnt look promising that I will be getting out and about any time soon. I would just take it easy, and have faith in the doctors! At this point I am just HOPING to make it to 32 weeks... I think I will start to feel comfortable after that.

Thanks for all of your replies- sorry I didn't respond sooner. It's been a chaotic few days. My water broke Saturday morning as I was just lying in bed. so we came straight to the hospital. I was on the labor and delivery floor for observation that whole day. Once my contractions (they were minor) subsided, I was moved to the antenatal floor where I'll stay til baby is born.

We've made it through the first hurdle by not going into labor in 1st 48 hours. Doc said the next spike in deliveries usually occurs at 1 week after membrane breaks- so that will be the next milestone. Majority go into labor w/in 24 or one week (or have to be induced because of infection). But if we get through the week w/o delivering, there's a good chance he will be able to hold on for several more weeks. They are treating me with antibiotics to prevent infection.

We've already met with doctors from NICU who told us what to expect for delivery and his treatment after he is born. He would likely stay in the hospital until end of June, his due date.

It's scary~ going to hospital to have a baby is supposed to be exciting (at least it was when I imagined it)...not like this. I'm working on revising my expectations and I don't need exciting any more-- just praying for him to be healthy. Each day longer that he stays in, the better it will be for him on the outside.

Sorry your having a tough time! I hope he stays put a few more weeks for you!

Wow - what a stressful time. I hope little one stays put a little bit longer. Thinking of you. x

Good luck. Your in the best place now and all you can do is wait. I hope baby stays put for you x

Keeping everything crossed that baby stays put for as long as possible. Good news that you made it through the first 24 hours. :hugs:
Long hospital stays are mind numbing - i know - so always here to chat.

Good luck hun, hope he stays put for a good while longer and that these weeks pass quickly for you! :hugs:

Sending you hugs hun - if you need any support or advice you can pop over to the Premature and NICU babies section where lots of us can help

Oh goodness. Wishing all the best and that your little boy stays put! Great news that you made it though the first test and didn't go into labor yet. :) hang in there!! You are a strong woman, being stuck in that hospital cooking your baby longer. You're amazing, keep us updated. Hopefully the big news is still weeks away! Sending best wishes your way!

im so sorry hun. i really hop he stays in thrre as long as possible:) good lyck:)

Thinking of and praying for you and your little one!! :hugs:

good luck hun... i hope he stays put for a while :hugs:

Thinking of you and sending lots of luck to you and your little one! xx

I hope he stays put!!! It's been 4 weeks since my stay at the hospital and thought he was going to be born at 28 weeks...stay positive!!

Thinking of you and praying that your little boys hangs in there a bit longer :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->