5-6 yrs old at school full time - after school activities

Hey hun, nice to hear Omar is doing well. Mine isnt tired either after school. Her school is far, not in our catchment are so by the time she comes home its 3.45. She then has arabic classes (for religious studies) from 5pm till 6.30pm. We did this as kids too as arabic isnt our first language. She is fine but I miss her from being away all day during the weekday. Weekends are more relaxed and we do stuff together.

At 5 ds2 was doing judo on Tuesday's and wednesday, karate also on Wednesday and football on Saturdays. By 6 he was also going to beavers on thursdays and football matches on Sunday's. He is now 7 and just finished cooking club before easter which was also a Wednesday (straight after school, home, eat, back out to judo and karate) has judo Tuesday, judo and karate Wednesday, beavers Thursday, football training Saturday and matches Sunday. He wants to do more! If they are happy doing it, and we can afford it and have time, then they can go. As long as they are not burning out then i don't see the problem.

After this thread I signed my son up to karate classes... He starts tomorrow. Haha. Felt bad because he doesn't do anything besides his swimming. Then to top it off I was stuck in one of those "my child is awesome and does ten billion dance competitions a month". Conversations ... Which was annoying but really brought it home tht all the other children in his class seem to have a hobby.

Luckily I have a boy so I Don't have to endure highland dancing haha.

That's the only problem I find with all the clubs is the competitive parents. I always keep my mouth shut and let the children's ability speak for itself ;)

So far most of the parents I met are nice, and the competitive ones are the ones with older children. I enrolled him in football on Wednesdays at school before karate :blush: he was fine yesterday but he asked for extra playtime In The evening :haha:

Hannah gets home from school at 4 and goes to bed around 7:30 (haha she needs her sleep!). Anyways she is still in a lot of stuff! She's in a school lunch program (paid) that is kickboxing right now (it was karate and then Lego). She's in a drawing class on Friday. Saturday's she has an art class and ballet. I tried to put her in swimming but I couldn't find a good day/time slot for us. Sunday's we leave open for play dates, cleaning, other activities (zoo, science centre etc.)

In the summer I do drop a lot of the classes (though I will try to find a swim class for both kids) since we can be outdoors more but that's not the case for you.

I think it depends on your family routine as well as the individual child. I work pretty much full-time so fitting all those activities in after work as well as preparing a meal and bath time etc would be a nightmare for me. DS has a swim lesson one night per week and is due to start school in September, if he finds an interest in happy for him to do something else one night per week

I don't think its too much, and that it depends on the family as well.

I work a full-time job, and my DS plays soccer. It only goes for 6 weeks, but it is EXHAUSTING for me. :haha: Not so much him, but he is 5! We have two practices a week and two games, and I can barely keep up. That being said, I want him to be in more activities so that is something that I have to be able to do as well and figure out how I will work it in to MY schedule, not so much his.

I thinks is great that Omar has so many opportunities in activities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->