8 month olds and food

Lau88

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies, I was just wondering if some of you lovelies share your food schedules for your 8 month olds and what they have, amounts etc. Thanks :) x

At 8 months, it was something like this:

7am - milk
8am - breakfast (toast fingers with cashew butter or cream cheese, yogurt with banana, shredded wheat in milk, rice cakes with mashed banana)
10am - milk
12pm - lunch (sandwich or breadsticks with hummus, salady things, fruit, etc.)
3pm - milk
5pm - dinner (pasta, quiche, soup with bread to dip, roast chicken with mash and veg, that sort of thing)
7pm - milk
Then one bottle overnight as well (usually 1-3am ish)

Give or take an hour or so on the times. The bottles were usually around 180-210 ml but it really varied. In terms of amounts, I really have no idea. We did BLW and she just ate as much as she wanted, but a lot got mushed and chucked on the floor at that point so it wasn't much. She really didn't start to eat much at all for the sake of eating until 9 months and into 10 months. That's when it really picked up. One night for dinner at about 10 months, she ate like nearly half a quiche!

We are totally BLW so have done no purees and have only been weaning since 6 months. We're still only on 2 meals a day, will be starting to introduce dinner next week I think, but we usually do breakfast at some point between 7 and 8, and lunch somewhere between 12 and 2. I give her tastes of anything else I have in between as well, or anything she looks interested in trying, e.g. she nabbed my apple off me earlier, and she's had some sliced chicken from the fridge as well. Today for breakfast she had 8 apricot wheats soaked in whole milk - I usually give her 5 but she ate them all so I gave her some more. For lunch we had pasta in mushroom sauce with mixed vegetables. I reckon she ate about half of that...there was enough to just cover the bottom of her bowl.

Milk...she has 35-40 oz in a 24-hour period. 10 oz of that is overnight in 2 feeds, the rest is on demand through the day so we have no set milk feed times. She is yet to drop any milk and I'm not expecting her to for another couple of months, probably.

ETA other things she's had - roast or steamed vegetable sticks (carrot, sweet potato, parsnip), baby corn, sugar snap peas, broccoli, red pepper, peas, sweetcorn, homemade fishcakes, beans on toast, toast alone or with puree spread on it (using up freebie puree pouches!), homemade drop scones, vegetable chilli, strawberries, raspberries, melon, pineapple, mango, cucumber, porridge ('wet' and as banana oat fingers).

We're doing mainly purees rather than blw as we needed to try and get lo taking food due to bad reflux, and she mainly plays with food when we give it to her.

She is currently on a restricted diet as she has reactions to certain things, which can make it tricky to feed her but our day looks a bit like this:

Wakes between 5 and 6.30 and has 6oz formula.
Breakfast at 7.30 - Baby rice with fruit, Puffed rice with almond milk and fruit or cornflakes with fruit.
4oz bottle after breakfast followed by a nap at 8.30.
4oz bottle at around 10 or some sort of snack (pack of baby corn snack things, fruit pot or avocado)
Lunch at 12ish - either home pureed food or an Ella's Kitchen pouch if we're out.
4oz bottle after lunch followed by a nap.
Sometimes another bottle mid afternoon.
Dinner at 5, same sort of thing as lunch, plus sometimes a fruit pot depending on how much fruit she's had during day.
6oz bottle for bedtime.

The food I make at home for her is usually whatever we're having but pureed or at least as close as possible. We have a lot of fish and chicken with veg, so I'll blend that. If we have salad i usually get some pureed veg from the freezer but I'll give her cucumber sticks to play with, or blend avocados and tomatoes, etc.

Size wise we have those little tommee tippee freezer pots and that is generally a portion. Sometimes she'll want more so we give her extra, other times she'll eat hardly anything but make up for it with more milk.

Souodragon, my 7.5mth had about 15 raspberry wheats for brekkie! She loved them!

My dd3 is all over the show, she hary drinks any milk (has always been a twrribke drinker) but loves to eat. Today went like this

6.30am - 4oz milk
7.30am - bowl of raspberry wheats
9.30 - a few bites of dd2s pancake!
10.30 - toddlers snack (2 banana slices, 5 chopped strawberry pieces, toast finger and small handful of raisins)
11.30 - 5oz milk
2pm - grapes, a few wotsits and a few bites of my cheese and ham toastie.
4pm - 5oz milk
5.15pm - carrot sticks, a whole fish finger and three potato letters.
7.30pm - 5oz milk

She also had a yoghurt, but I cant remember when! Oh, and half a large rice cake. We were at my friends all afternoon/evening so she ate there.

She is so greedy!!

Oh, she eats it all. Even the crumbs. She is a completely average sized baby

When I'm home with DS, on weekends, our schedule is mostly like this:

-Breastfeed on demand throughout the day

Mid-morning
Breakfast - pureed fruit (1-2 oz),water

Midday
Lunch - pureed meat (Gerber) and pureed/mashed squash/potato etc (2 oz), juice

Evening
Supper - oat/rice cereal (2 oz)

This is what my nearly 9 month old had today:
6oz milk first thing
Fruit porridge for breakfast
6oz milk mid morning
Baked beans, a crumpet, some chopped up grapes, some full fat plain yoghurt and a banana for lunch
6oz milk mid afternoon
A few banana rice cakes while she was in the kitchen with me while I was preparing dinner
Fish in cheese sauce with mashed potato, peas and green beans for dinner

She's down to 3 bottles a day now but the timings of them vary. She has a good appetite and enjoys most things, actually eats more than her 3 year old sister!

We are BLW and my lb doesn't eat a whole lot, just mushes it around and plays with it really.

Breakfast: toast fingers/yoghurt and banana/porridge fingers

Lunch: sandwich/veggies/fruit/yoghurt

Dinner: mainly whatever I eat so like chicken, fish, mash, cheese, veggies and then pudding if he's still hungry.

He nurses all day as well, his teeth have been playing up lately so he hasn't really been eating at all.

My little one is almost 8months. He sort of skipped the purees stage and went straight on to mashed / chopped. We try blw but he doesn't have the dexterity and gets a bit funny with textures in his hand (though not really in his mouth!)

Average day is

Breakfast: fruit porridge, followed by toast soldiers

Lunch: omelette, jar when we are out, cheese on toast etc. Something normally quite quick to prepare.

Dinner: whatever his brother is eating - so shepherds pie, aubergine stew, gnocchi, roast dinner etc.

I offer puddings most main meals - natural yogurt, custard, pureed or crushed fruit. He has 13 ounces of milk a day. 7 for bed and 6 between 4-6am.

I've found he dislikes more things than my eldest did. He is quite happy to spit stuff out!

Oh and portions, we use the small coloured ikea pots and he'll eat two thirds of a pot or a full 4mth size jar. He regularly eats way more than my 3yo does in a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->