8 week old still feeding every 2 hours - is it normal?

dacosta

Reaction score
my lo is 8 weeks old on wednesday and still feeds every two hours during the day. she sleeps on my OH from about 8pm tp midnight and then feeds 2/3 hours during the night, then every 2 hours max during the day. is this normal at 8 weeks or should she be going longer between feeds? she's ebf with about a ten/fifteen min feed at the boob.

also, sometimes whilst sleeping on me she'll wake and fuss for a bit then go off to sleep again; if she's due a feed should i wake her to feed her or just let her sleep? i know newborns you're meant to wake to feed but is it ok to let them sleep at 8 weeks?

what are the experiences of others?

My LO is 8wks on friday and feeds every 2-3hrs at night and anything from every 1-4hrs in the day. It's pretty normal with BF'd babies, hun. I wouldn't wake her if she sleeps for longer as she'll wake when she's hungry.

Els :)

My LO does exactly the same she feeds every 2 hours in the day and about every 2-3 hours at night.she feeds for about ten minutes also. If she sleeps longer I leave her to sleep. From what I gather its normal for breastfed babies to do this. Hope so anyway!
Xx

its normal for bf babies to feed every 2-3 hours. x

Yep it's normal. At that age Thomas was only going one and a half to two hours between feeds. He now goes two and a half to three hours during the day and has started going longer stretches at night. I wouldn't wake your LO to feed if she's not looking for it, just let her sleep. However, if she is due a feed soon I would probably feed her before putting her down to sleep as otherwise she would probably wake up sooner due to hunger.

My son fed every 1-2 hours around the clock from birth until about 14 weeks or so. From 14 weeks until present (6 1/2 months old) it has been every 3 hours around the clock. :wacko:

Totally normal for every 2 hours at 8 weeks!

Until about 2 weeks ago, Emma ate every 2 or 2.5 hours (though she slept through the night.) We've finally moved to every 3 hours - give or take - and she is 5 1/2 months old.

Gerald is now 14 weeks and still is feeding every 2 hours during the day sometimes he manages 3 hours... he only now started stretching further at night

thanks all :) at least i know it's 'normal', makes me feel better about feeding her all the time. I do hope she doesn't turn into a chubby baby though - I don't know where she puts it all!

Cole is 11 weeks old and still feeding about every 2 hours. Thankfully *touch wood* he's been sleeping for seven hours at night before needing a feeding. And it doesn't look like it's going to be ending anytime soon! So, enjoy the cuddle time with LO! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->