A few questions!

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
Google gives conflicting info and I haven't went to the bf class yet so I thought I'd ask you ladies.

1) I have PCOS and never really got periods before I was pregnant so me and my OH are using Bf as our only form of contraception but my son sleeps between 4-6hours on a night and a friend mentioned this will affect the effectiveness of this method. Is it possible longer between feeds will reduce the effectiveness?

2) I have NIP public a few times but I always have a large amount of my breast exposed and it was okay when my partner was off because he used a blanket to cover but now he is back at work, how to keep your dignity? I still need to cup my bust because I have quite a large bust and he other hand is holding baby and I have so far failed at using the cross cradle position. Any help will be treat as I would love to be able to go out and about with out having a time restriction?

3) another question for mums with lager boobs, I seem to find the nursing pillow too high to feed, is anyone else having the same issue?

Google gives conflicting info and I haven't went to the bf class yet so I thought I'd ask you ladies.

1) I have PCOS and never really got periods before I was pregnant so me and my OH are using Bf as our only form of contraception but my son sleeps between 4-6hours on a night and a friend mentioned this will affect the effectiveness of this method. Is it possible longer between feeds will reduce the effectiveness?

From what I've heard I think yes that can reduce the effectiveness.

2) I have NIP public a few times but I always have a large amount of my breast exposed and it was okay when my partner was off because he used a blanket to cover but now he is back at work, how to keep your dignity? I still need to cup my bust because I have quite a large bust and he other hand is holding baby and I have so far failed at using the cross cradle position. Any help will be treat as I would love to be able to go out and about with out having a time restriction?

I avoided NIP mostly as I found it too difficult to hold a small baby properly and get him to latch etc... and it makes me nervous. However I often used the car or a dressing room. Eventually he got too big to fit well in the car and the dressing rooms distract him too much. :(

3) another question for mums with lager boobs, I seem to find the nursing pillow too high to feed, is anyone else having the same issue?

Yes I had that problem. I had to use flatter regular bed pillows. Sometimes stacked up. My nursing pillow was a waste. Now I just lay him on my lap since he's bigger. I used the football hold for many months with him on a pillow by my side.

I literally used to put a blanket over my shoulder then get feeding it used to cover dd face but I constantly peeked to check she was ok.

The breastfeeding as contraception thing is only reliable if baby is feeding every 2-3 hours around the clock, also only BF directly (pumping isn't quite the same) and no dummies. Someone was telling me that it depends on calorie intake as well and the reason that it's such a successful method in poorer countries is because mum's calorie intake is lower thus the body puts all of these calories into milk production and not on returning to fertility. Sometimes women with PCOS can become fertile more quickly than 'normal' women after birth and it seems that hormones aren't affected by BF in the same way. A Lactation consultant with PCOS used to have a blog on the subject of BF with PCOS and she said that she had noticed anecdotally that a lot of EBF women with PCOS saw their periods return within the first few months so it may be wise to be cautious xx

The breastfeeding as contraception thing is only reliable if baby is feeding every 2-3 hours around the clock, also only BF directly (pumping isn't quite the same) and no dummies. Someone was telling me that it depends on calorie intake as well and the reason that it's such a successful method in poorer countries is because mum's calorie intake is lower thus the body puts all of these calories into milk production and not on returning to fertility. Sometimes women with PCOS can become fertile more quickly than 'normal' women after birth and it seems that hormones aren't affected by BF in the same way. A Lactation consultant with PCOS used to have a blog on the subject of BF with PCOS and she said that she had noticed anecdotally that a lot of EBF women with PCOS saw their periods return within the first few months so it may be wise to be cautious xx

Thank you very much for the info. I think we need a back up method to be on the safe side because baby feeds 2-3 hours during the day then 5/6 hours on a night.
X

The reason you don't usually have periods when breastfeeding is due to the high prolactin levels surpressing your menstrual cycle, the reason that it is less effective with less frequent feeds is because it gives the prolactin levels time to drop, so they say around 3 hours during the day and 6 hours during the night is typically enough to keep your prolactin levels high enough to prevent your periods returning.

It also makes no difference whether you're pumping or breastfeeding as the hormones are the same either way...x

Bf is not a form of birth control, even with pcos i would still use condoms. I have larger breasts and nip is a nightmare! I too have to hold onto my breast to feed, so i pump while we are out, and nurse him lying down:)

Thanks ladies.

I have found a solution to the nursing pillow issue and I have started rolling a cot size cellular blanket up and that is the perfect height.

Tonight I am going to be brave and sleep in my bed instead of on the sofa. I can't seem to get comfy feeding DS in bed so I'm taking up a dining table chair and I'll pimp it with pillows lol. Here's hoping I have a better night sleep.

Xx

I have PCOS and have started my period at 6 month pp with my daughter nursing frequently. The people that I know who only used breastfeeding as a form of bc have plenty of kids lol. I would suggest using something else.

I also have large breasts and use one hand to hold her and the other hand to hold my breast. I rarely nurse in public but what I do all the time is just go out to our Jeep. It is normally pretty convenient for me but I have used dressing rooms or find a semi-private place. I also just had to go through the pillows that we have and find one that works for us. I never tried a boppy or anything. The one I found that works the best is a feather pillow that kind of cradles her so she can cuddle in the pillow which in turn cuddles her right up to me. I hope this helps!:hugs:

I have PCOS and have started my period at 6 month pp with my daughter nursing frequently. The people that I know who only used breastfeeding as a form of bc have plenty of kids lol. I would suggest using something else.

I also have large breasts and use one hand to hold her and the other hand to hold my breast. I rarely nurse in public but what I do all the time is just go out to our Jeep. It is normally pretty convenient for me but I have used dressing rooms or find a semi-private place. I also just had to go through the pillows that we have and find one that works for us. I never tried a boppy or anything. The one I found that works the best is a feather pillow that kind of cradles her so she can cuddle in the pillow which in turn cuddles her right up to me. I hope this helps!:hugs:

:blush: I think I need to start being good then :haha:

I still can not feed baby in bed so I have bought a glider rocking chair and stool and tried again last night... Feeding was 100% better but I still ended up back downstairs and on the sofa :dohh:

Thanks for all the advice ladies xx

I couldn't feed lo laying down till she was about 5 months old. I worried about smothering her.

I couldn't feed lo laying down till she was about 5 months old. I worried about smothering her.

i am the exact same plus it still takes 5/10 mins to get LO to latch at times and now my OH is back at work, I don't think its fair for me to wake him so I get up with LO and go into his nursery to nurse. I suppose it's a learning curve

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->