Advice on buying a puppy

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi I'm hoping someone here can help me. I went too view some cocker spaniel puppies today. Breeder is KC assured breeder and pups were lovely and the parents were lovely etc. I put a £100 deposit down on a little boy pup he is 5 weeks old so will be ready on 14th December. When I got home I was telling my OH about it and he said did you ask wether parents were related and I didn't ask her that. Was a bit hectic as I took my two Little boys with me to see the pups. I emailed her and asked her and she said she bred the mum and dad and they have the same grandad. Is this a bad thing? I'm really confused now. Thanks in advance x

Surely if the pups are from a kc accredited breeder, they wont be from related parents.
Are the pups going to be kc/pedigree registered? If so, then they are definitely not related

Congrats on getting a new puppy!

Hi yes they will be KC registered etc. when I asked the breeder if they were related she said the parents had the same grandad which would technically make them 2nd cousins on the male side. Maybe I'm worrying and reading to much into it? Thanks for reply x

I wouldn't worry about them being related like that, you don't want any closer though!
Make sure you ask about all the heath checks and rage syndrome (especially if solid colored cockers). Eyes and hip scores is what you're after, and if they have any problems with kidneys in the line.
Hopefully if they are good breeders this should all be outlined for you!
Good luck on your puppy, I'm so jealous!

Hi thanks for your reply. So you wouldn't worry about that then? They have had all health checks etc and will be micro chipped and first vaccination. She is asking £795 which is a lot of money and I really want everything to be ok as it's a lot of money. Thanks x

Breeding aside, I'm quite concerned with how much you're paying. We used to 'stud' our Cocker out to a breeder so have plenty of experience with different breeders and the most I've ever seen paid for one is £650. However, this litter's dad was a 3x Crufts champion and their mum had won several major competitions too. These pups were bred purely for showing so were obviously worth a bit more.

Bred dogs are often fairly inbred, but just to point out if they share a grandad they're first cousins, not 2nd. Which when a breeder can't work that one out is fairly worrying.

Do you know anyone who has bought a pup off her?
Did you spend any time with the parents of the dog?
Did you check about any health problems that may be in the family? Eye problems particularly, but also skin problems. Also, ask about the mother's bladder. Cockers can forget to hold it in when they get excited and it's often hereditary.
Did you spend any time with the puppy to get a grasp on it's personality? With a dog you want to go straight through the middle. You don't want the most out going in the litter, mischief is cute in a puppy but it can often turn into much more as an adult. Same with the shyest in a litter, it starts off cute but can create oroblems as an adult.
Have you seen the papers for the health check?
Have you checked they're definitely KC registered?
Have you checked their inoculation records?
Have you checked their tails? Are they docked or not? It's completely illegal in Scotland with a few exceptions, however in England working dogs and medical conditions are exceptions. So make sure you ask any questions if it is.

Sorry, I know you've probably checked every single one of those, particularly when you're spending so much on it. But I've seen far too many people get screwed over by dodgy breeders.

All that aside, cockers will always be my first choice. They're the friendliest dog, and are so loyal. Make sure it's trained properly, as they can be wild. But they're incredible pets. And always so much fun.

Thank u this is all so helpful. The pups are going to be KC registered and all health checks etc. She is a KC assured breeder and I have checked she is on the website which she is. I just don't know now as it is a lot of money. The pups are only 5 weeks at the moment so all still fairly quiet etc. They won't be ready until 14th December. I'm really beginning to have major doubts x

That's pretty common with show lines. It should be fine. I would be more worried about health testing for the parents especially with a cocker. They should have eye CERF exams, hips certified, heart testing, among other things.

My mum recently bought a cocker spaniel and it was £500, £750 seems very expensive!

I am an assured breeder with the k.c and although i understand your concerns its actually ok to bred dog and bitch which have same father, sometimes this is done to preserve good traits within those dogs. However i do think you are paying too much, i would have thought at the most would be £650. some assured breeders add alot on because they have *assured* on the paperwork when really the pup is only worth £500.

Are you getting a contract of sale? This is a requirement of the assured breeders and she should have talked through it with you at the time of leaving a deposit.

Also i doubt you would get your deposit back. I would look at the prices in your area and see how it compares.

Its called line breeding. It is used to cement desireable traits.

I have to agree with the others who have said that it seems expensive. My grandparents paid £500 for their cocker spaniel and when researching this seemed to be the average price of one from a decent breeder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->