advice on sausages that are 2 days passed the date?

ProudMum

Reaction score
ok so i had my dinner and then realized the sausages were passed the date by 2 days.
theyve been kept in the box, not opened, been in the fridge and had the 7th as the date on the box. i just ate them- will this cause a problem? my son ate them too

I think with meat it cam be easy to tell if it has gone off by the colour or the smell. I had some mince the other week I was using on the day which looked a little weird then smelt acidic when I started cooking it so I threw it out. If you didn't notice anything I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem...

Well as you have already eaten them i wouldnt worry too much about it!!!! I'm sure they were perfectly fine x

if they wernt opened and were in the fridge and they tasted fine i wodnt worry bout it, worse case scenario ull need the loo but wodnt worry bout it :)

I think u wud of known about them hun if they where off. x

Yeah I think you would have known if they were off. Alot of food doesnt actually spoil til alot later than the date it says on the packet but EU rules state there must be one on there! I remember the time when I had a chicken to roast, I was a little concerned about it as I thought it did smell abit funny but put it down to the fact it was probably the juices and just needed a wash, so I gave it a good wash and started cooking it, about 30 minutes later the most disgusting smell was coming from the kitchen - the chicken really had gone off!! Gross!!!
xxx

I've cooked meat that was a month old by accident :dohh:, me and baby are fine so I think 2 day old meat should be okay so long as it tasted/smelled normal still.

i work in the food industry and was told by health and safety that all food has dates on them for safety reasons but actually doesnt mean they would be gone off. the only real way to tell if it has gone off is by the smell and colour and believe me u would know by the smell alone. once items havent been opened and kept in the fridge they are fine.

The preferred temperature for a fridge is somewhere between 35° and 38°F (1.7° to 3.3°C). Anything higher and foods will spoil too quickly. Anything lower and freezing becomes a problem. Use by dates are there because a lot of people cannot tell when something is spoiled.

If you cooked something until is has piping hot throughout (which you WOULD do with sausages) and the food wasn't discoloured, smelly, slimy or had white bumps of mould growing on it... most likely you will be just fine. If the meat WAS truly bad, as others have said above, you'd know just as soon as you start cooking it. If you didn't notice a thing, most likely there is nothing at all to fret over.

Take heart, a LOT of Chinese chippies and Indians sell 'tired' meat that's been disguised with chillies, sauce and/or vinegar. I know, I have eaten it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->