advice please re electric breast pump ta! x

MrsRH

Reaction score
Hello!

Just popping over from third tri..................... I am due in just over 3 weeks and have been thinking about BF and expressing.

I am hoping to fully breast feed as long as me and baby happy! I would like to get my husband involved at 6 weeks with some expressed feeds.

I have been recommended to use an electric pump over a manual as it's quicker and easier.

What do you all think abou this and do you have any recommendations on buying/hiring an electric pump.

I am a member of the NCT and can hire throught them.
But by the time I have spent money on hiring, is it better to just buy one??

any tips on a good one to buy

Thanks all in advance and hope to be joining you soon!!

Rachael
xxx

i used an electric pump on my first and it made me bleed, so i switched to manual, im using the manual tommee tepee closer to nature pump at the moment, its excellent, it might be slower but i found the faster electric pumps hurt me more and as i said caused my nipples to bleed making the milk useless :(

thats just my experiance tho chick x

I havent rented so cant advise on that. I had the opposite experience with pumps. I found the tommee tippee manual really painful and got the medela swing electric one which is brilliant :D

There is a great guide to choosing a pump here:
https://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/pumps101.html

i use a medela swing.. i express exclusively so probably would have been better with a double pump, but its served it very well for the last 6 weeks.. main plus points for me are the fact that its got 2 phase suction, variable suction, and its also mains or battery, so portable. i also have a manula pump but have never been able to get muh out with it, whereas i get loads with the swing

I express every night so hubby can give the last feed of the day and i have the medela swing and cant fault it x

Medela Swing for me to, I haven't used any other so nothing to compare to but it is fantastic, I can't fault it.

I rented for the first month, the pump was really good, a Medela Symphone. I have just started to pump again and like you was wondering if it would be cheeper to buy or to rent in the long run. i did a lot of research and decided to buy the Medela Swing and I love it. Personally i think it works just as well as the Symphone, possibly a little weaker suction but honestly it is hard to tell as my milk supply has dropped recently so could just be me. :shrug: Also when you consider that the Symphone is hospital grade and worth $1500 and the Swing is $250 I really think the Swing is wonderful for the money!! I am really happy with it and happy in our decision to buy rather than rent.

If you are pumping for a couple of feeds a week, a Swing or similar is great. If you are expressin a couple of times a day, every day, a hospital grade is better.

Thank you to everyone for takin time to reply and your helpful advice!!

I have a look at all your suggestions and try to make a decision.
Looks like buying would be the best option

Thanks again to you all
Rachael
xxx

I have the Swing too and the suction works great. I didn't like the soft plastic shield that it came with, so I recommend buying a replacement one made of hard plastic. Works so much better imo and they're only $7.

fab post girls ta, i was thinking about this the other day and i was looking at the medela swing but wasnt sure if it was any good also its a bit pricey and didnt wanna spend money on rubbish but im deffo getting it now :D xxx

i rented the philips isis duo and after a few months bought one.i express 2-3 times a day and with this pump being so powerful get like 20 ounces aday pumping after feeds

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->