advice please re electric breast pump ta! x

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by MrsRH, Aug 21, 2009.

1. MrsRH

MrsRH Well-Known Member

Hello!

Just popping over from third tri..................... I am due in just over 3 weeks and have been thinking about BF and expressing.

I am hoping to fully breast feed as long as me and baby happy! I would like to get my husband involved at 6 weeks with some expressed feeds.

I have been recommended to use an electric pump over a manual as it's quicker and easier.

What do you all think abou this and do you have any recommendations on buying/hiring an electric pump.

I am a member of the NCT and can hire throught them.
    But by the time I have spent money on hiring, is it better to just buy one??

any tips on a good one to buy

Thanks all in advance and hope to be joining you soon!!

Rachael
    xxx

2. sezzlebum

sezzlebum Guest

i used an electric pump on my first and it made me bleed, so i switched to manual, im using the manual tommee tepee closer to nature pump at the moment, its excellent, it might be slower but i found the faster electric pumps hurt me more and as i said caused my nipples to bleed making the milk useless :(

thats just my experiance tho chick x

3. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I havent rented so cant advise on that. I had the opposite experience with pumps. I found the tommee tippee manual really painful and got the medela swing electric one which is brilliant :D

4. asacia

asacia Guest

5. NIfirsttimer

NIfirsttimer Proud mum, new wife & WTT

i use a medela swing.. i express exclusively so probably would have been better with a double pump, but its served it very well for the last 6 weeks.. main plus points for me are the fact that its got 2 phase suction, variable suction, and its also mains or battery, so portable. i also have a manula pump but have never been able to get muh out with it, whereas i get loads with the swing

6. Rah

Rah Mummy to 2 princesses

I express every night so hubby can give the last feed of the day and i have the medela swing and cant fault it x

7. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Medela Swing :)

8. mama2b

mama2b Mummy & TTC

Medela Swing for me to, I haven't used any other so nothing to compare to but it is fantastic, I can't fault it.

9. Twist

Twist Well-Known Member

I rented for the first month, the pump was really good, a Medela Symphone. I have just started to pump again and like you was wondering if it would be cheeper to buy or to rent in the long run. i did a lot of research and decided to buy the Medela Swing and I love it. Personally i think it works just as well as the Symphone, possibly a little weaker suction but honestly it is hard to tell as my milk supply has dropped recently so could just be me. :shrug: Also when you consider that the Symphone is hospital grade and worth $1500 and the Swing is $250 I really think the Swing is wonderful for the money!! I am really happy with it and happy in our decision to buy rather than rent.

10. asacia

asacia Guest

If you are pumping for a couple of feeds a week, a Swing or similar is great. If you are expressin a couple of times a day, every day, a hospital grade is better.

11. MrsRH

MrsRH Well-Known Member

Thank you to everyone for takin time to reply and your helpful advice!!

I have a look at all your suggestions and try to make a decision.
    Looks like buying would be the best option

Thanks again to you all
    Rachael
    xxx

12. lalaland09

lalaland09 Well-Known Member

I have the Swing too and the suction works great. I didn't like the soft plastic shield that it came with, so I recommend buying a replacement one made of hard plastic. Works so much better imo and they're only $7.

13. xkirstyx

xkirstyx mummy to Jack and Emily

fab post girls ta, i was thinking about this the other day and i was looking at the medela swing but wasnt sure if it was any good also its a bit pricey and didnt wanna spend money on rubbish but im deffo getting it now :D xxx

14. scrumpy78

scrumpy78 Pregnant Due April

i rented the philips isis duo and after a few months bought one.i express 2-3 times a day and with this pump being so powerful get like 20 ounces aday pumping after feeds