Aisling's birth story - 11.04.2009

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
I finally have a couple of minutes to myself with Aisling asleep so thought I'd post her birth story! :)

At 40+6, I asked my GP to give me a sweep which she duly did at 4pm on Thursday. On Thursday night I had AF like cramps throughout the night which were mild enough for me to sleep through but I did wonder if this was the start of something... By 9am on Friday, I could feel that start of contractions. My dad was staying with us then and he had set off to go skydiving an hour or so earlier. By early afternoon, the contractions were very irregular, anything from 20 minutes to 10 minutes so I figured we were a little way off. Which was just as well because we got a call from my dad to say he'd been in a skydiving accident and was on the way to hospital with a suspected broken leg and would need surgery. So off we went for the 90 minute drive to his hospital to find out that he had shattered his femur and had broken his hip in 3 places - so he'll be in hospital for another 3 or 4 weeks. Instead of coming over from LA to see his new grandchild, he hasn't managed to see her at all so far but that's another story.

We came home and by 11pm the contractions were regularly around 7 minutes apart and we went to the hospital as we were told to come in when we had then 10 mins apart for 2 hours. I was gutted to be told I wasn't dilated at all :hissy: and could stay in overnight if I wanted but there really wasn't any point :dohh: We came home again and didn't sleep a wink, waiting for the contractions to get stronger but at least I could distract myself with the telly etc. I had the tens machine on at this point, not sure how well it worked but it was a distraction and I definitely wasn't risking taking it off to test the theory!

By 11am my contractions were regularly less than 5 minutes apart, went back to hospital and was delighted to be 2cm dilated! :happydance: The contractions were intense and starting to come one on top on another so I asked for gas and air. I was given the stuff which is permanently attached to the wall of the hospital and it did nothing but make me feel sick... I was on the point of asking about an epidural which I had been determined not to do but I couldn't see me doing this for too much longer. The midwife gave me portable gas and air to try first (entonox) and I swear that stuff is a wonder drug, I love it!! :) I didn't even need to consider an epidural with this stuff, guess I'm lucky it worked so well. Although DH did tell me that the mouthpiece looked like a dogs chew toy when I was done with it and I could barely open my mouth for the next 2 days! :dohh:

After this, it was much easier to keep going and I spent the first half of labour on the birthing ball and the second half, including delivery, on all fours on the hospital bed, very classy!

By 2pm, I was only 3 cm dilated and they decided they'd give me a couple of hours before considering oxitocin. At 4pm they checked me and I was 7cm so they thought I'd have the baby by 6.30pm ish. At 5pm I was 10cm and she popped out 6 minutes later!!

She weighed in at 8lb 15oz and just over 22 inches. I was ridiculously happy that I only had a small first degree tear so no stitches necessary :happydance:

So now we're all trying to get used to each other which is going to take a bit of time but we're absolutely in love with her already :cloud9:

Here's some pics of us:

Just after delivery
[IMG]https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/Aislingafterdelivery.jpg[/IMG]

Asleep on her daddy's chest
[IMG]https://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l393/nualamcanally/Ai010.jpg[/IMG]

OMG OMG she is amazing well done hunny, she is totally gorgous and love the hair beautifull, congrats again hunny it feels amazing doesnt it? u must be finding urself just staring at her i remeber with my 2 its the best feeling ever in the world.
well done u, how is she doing now she 4 days old???? arrrhh so young too cutie xxxxxxxxxxxx

hi Hon, Great birth story. Fair play to you girl! You did unbelievably well! I can't see the pics here in work but only the one as your avatar and she is adorable. I'd say you are so smitten with her and can't stop looking at her. Bless... I think I could cry :cry:

Hope your Dad gets to meet his little Grand-daughter soon and you are loving every minute of getting to know the new little person in your life. So proud of you chicks!:hugs:

Congratulations, shes is gorgeous and you look fab!
Sending your dad speedy recovery thoughts as well.
XXX

Huge congrats Lu!! She is gorgeous! :D

awww she is just so stunning!

I love her hair:cloud9:

awww Im all emotional now:cry:

Well done Lu!:hugs:

Wow look at that mop of hair - she is grogoeus!!! Congrats :) And may i say you look fab just after delivery!

Congratulations hun, she is absolutely adorable xx

Congrats she's adorable xx
And you look so good after giving birth - I hope I look that good!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->