Alcohol before the BFP

ButternutBabe

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Today I got my BFP - six days after AF was due to arrive. I'm not sure exactly how far I am as I haven't been tracking my ovulation.

I've a question about drinking prior to knowing you're pregnant, and how that effects things. I'm very aware of the dangers of drinking whilst pregnant and that alcohol should be avoided while TTC, but my husband and I had actually stopped trying due to disappointment after disappointment and sort of given up (of course, that's when it actually happens!).

So now that I know I'm pregnant I am looking back on things and realizing I drunk, not heavily but more than one glass of wine, about two days after AF's due arrival at a friends party. Have I already done damage? I'm freaking out.

I always drank alcohol in tww, just whever i fancied it as very very early on before bfp wont really harm anything as its cell division but as soon as i got my positive ive not touched a drop! I was completely drunk the evening before my positive eek lol, im 13 wks & 3 days now all going well :)

RELAX mama! RELAX!

I had the same thing happen when I was pregnant with my first. Went to a friends house and had a few too many mimosas. Once I found out I was pregnant I was freaking out.

Direct quote from my dr..."Well, youre still pregnant, if any harm was done, you would have lost the baby before you even found out you were pregnant. No harm, no foul. Just dont drink anymore"

Id bet that your little bean is just fine. You didnt know. Its not like you knew and decided to have some wine. You had no idea. You cant be upset over something you had no idea about.

Im assuming this is your first? If it is, I feel the need to tell you, this is NOTHING. Trust me, there will be some questionable parenting moves in your future...Ice cream for lunch? Sure, its not worth the fight. Staying up until 1am to play with friends you havent seen in years? Knock your socks off kid.

Take a deep breath and relax. The stress isnt good for you or the baby :hugs:

Haha thank you both so much. Yes this is my first, we've been trying for six months and I was really losing hope.

I got my BFP two hours ago, ive been wanting this for so long and it doesn't feel real that it's actually happening! I know I need to calm down, miscarriages are very common in my family and it's so hard to not stress.

I was all on a high for hrs after i got mine aswell & it does make you anxious instantly, congratulations though :) it took 5-6 months to get our son who us now 3.5yrs, seems like ages when your trying, enjoy :hugs:

I'm sure you're absolutely fine. A couple drinks on one evening is very unlikely to do any harm. I definitely drank fairly heavily the week we conceived (it was bank holiday weekend and we had much of the week off, going to BBQs or out for dinner and drinks at the pub nearly every night) and I also had several classes of wine for Sunday lunch the week before I got my BFP. Now I was earlier on that you were probably, but as you don't really know when you were ovulating, maybe not. All was completely fine. I also had a Guinness once in 2nd trimester and on maybe a couple occasions later in pregnancy had about 1/4 of a small glass of wine. I have a very healthy 3 year old now. I wouldn't worry at all. Congrats on your BFP!

If it makes you feel any better, a few days before I found out I was pregnant with DS I was out on a Christmas night out with my oldest girlfriends and we really went for it! So much so, my husband had to collect me at 9pm I was so drunk. I never ever get like that and hadn't drunk more than I usually would (half bottle of wine and a few vodkas) but I was seriously ill. It was really out of the norm for me.

I mentioned it to my friend the next day and she said 'that happened to me before I found out I was expecting DC1' 😱

So I tested two days later and to my surprise, blaring positive!

Did the same as you, panicked and went to my doctor who basically said it happens all the time! No harm done.

I'm pleased to say DS is a very happy and healthy little two year old who doesn't have an alcohol problem 😉

I never drink (literally every few years) but after a stressful day I had a drink then the next day got my BFP! I felt guilty but I know mums who have gone on binges in the tww & had healthy babies. I wouldn't worry xx

During my TWW with my son I drank alcohol and I also had my wisdom teeth taken out during that time and was on pain meds.

Needless to say, my son is turning 5 in 2 weeks and is perfect.

It being Christmas party time, I got drunk twice (and I don't normally drink more than a beer or two) in the tww. We'd been trying for so long I never ever considered I could be pregnant as I had no symptoms at all. But this early on it has no effect whatsoever (believe me, I looked it up). As you're now alcohol free all should be fine

Hey girl, you're fine. I drank a lot at a wedding with an open bar a week or two before I got my BFP, and the doctor told me that it was fine. And I was further along than you, because the little guy was an accident and I didn't even realize I was pregnant until almost 6 weeks along! Obviously you shouldn't drink now, but the one night should be fine :)

Another one who went on a huge Christmas party night bender right before my BFP. I'd actually had a BFN a few days earlier (after period was due, so I must have ovulated late or something). When I found out I was beside myself, but my doctor told me not to worry at all.

My three-year-old is healthy, happy and so bright I've been advised he may be gifted. So clearly no harm done there.

I had a bottle the night before I took a test and drank all over Christmas ! We weren't ttc, in fact, we were actively trying to avoid getting pregnant. (I had some Ic's left and randomly decided to pee on them lol or else I may have continued finishing off the holidays leftover mulled wine). Easier said than done, but I don't think you need worry; plenty of people get much further into pregnancy before they realise and babies are healthy. congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy. Xx

This thread cracks me up because this is how I know I'm pregnant EVERY time. EVERY single time I find out I'm pregnant, I had alcohol a few days before. I don't drink much. It's a joke between us because with 3 of my pregnancies (including my current), I had NO alcohol except for a few days before finding out about the pregnancy. Between my second and third babies, I drank on a few occasions, though. I don't even think about it when I'm drinking, but when I get my BFP, my OH and I just laugh hysterically. Once, we used a condom. Once, I was on the pill. Still drank and was pregnant. It's just a little joke between us. With 3 of my kids, it was just one drink. With one, I drank and drank and drank and drank and didn't get drunk. The hormones blocked the alcohol from affecting me. All of my babies are just perfect.

I'm just trying to say that it won't affect your pregnancy, and you've done just fine. :)

It won't affect anything , baby gets their nutrients from your bodies' stores in the early weeks, halfway through first tri baby starts to get a little from you and by the end of first tri/once the placenta is established it will be able to get more from your diet.

I was wine tasting yesterday and then last night I got my bfp. With my son I got wastey face drunk the night before my bfp, lol. I remember the doc told me that they are in a protective bubble for the first 6 (?) weeks and nothing we do transfers to them at that stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->