Alcohol in pregnancy

they cant prove either way...
scientists cannot say to a selected grooup of women... "you drink so much alcohol a week" and then to another group "you tee total it" then they test babies from each group its never gonna happen because the expectant mothers could take the scientists to court if theres complications so its never gonna get proved either way.
personally im not drinking cos i h8 the taste and i only drank alcohol to get drunk ***very sophisticated**** but true.
i cant see the harm in 1-2 units a week, i think its when youre getting drunk that theres a seriously a problem because being drunk damages you so obiously gonna harm baby but maybe not in moderation. everybody is different each to their own i say im not gonna look down my nose on anyone who indulges on something they like to have. we all have our own minds.

I like to drink. I love my vino. BUT...although i wouldnt hold it against anyone having a small glass with dinner once a week or something, ive got 2 points to make.. one i figured out myself and one my doc and midwife said to me.

A) your baby has new, pristine organs..its gonna have to last a lifetime and rest assured as soon as they are born they will be bombarded with all the pollution and chemicals we have around us- why, WHY would you wanna add alcohol to filter through their liver at this stage when their so vulnerable and clean?

B) I asked the doc about cat litter, as i read if you have strictly indoor cats their littler is fine for pg women to clean. Similar with eggs etc.. most eggs in UK at least are treated for salmonella.. BOTH answered ' why risk it?'

Can I also add my doc said a pg patient of hs gt listeriosis (sp) from eating a well known ceasar salad mix frm the super market..yes, it had chicken in it, bt rest assured the experts were scratching their heads at that one. My doc said that in 30 years of practising he'd never seen such a thing..bt wouldn't you feel better knowing that COULD happen to you as opposed to thinking all is good?

Luckily she and baby made it fine..bt the point is, these rules no matter how annoying..i( know cause i too like to eat these things- A LOT) are there so you dont have to take un necessary risks.. UNNECESSARY, thats all.

Dont get me wrong..im the type of person who drinks and has the occasional fag while ttc so im no angel, i even scrape off mould on cheese before slicing it, so im not a fanatic about this at all. However....

Im sure we all want whats best for our babies..and if that means giving up a few things- isnt it worth it??

People would give their lives for their kids. But not their alcohol for a few months aparently.

Everyone is entitled to their own point of view, let's keep that in mind and keep this discussion civil girls! It can be very informative to debate things like this but also very emotional for a lot of people.

Don't you just love it when they release warnings on these kind of situations RAMMING it in your face in fact followed by "but we're not sure" ... "theres no medical proof" causing this kind of choas. Causing people to look down their noses on others & judge other peoples opinions on this NONE FACT assumption.

:)

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7312708.stm

It brings NICE in line with government advice and replaces previous guidance saying small daily amounts were fine. However, NICE concedes there is no evidence to support the change.
READ IT!!

I personally think this was a shock tactic for those who don't drink one or two but go that little bit further! Which IS wrong!

I'm not on a high horse I just think it's wierd that someone would want to intoxicate their baby?
Are you studying the medical facts on your comment?

I am not having a pop but please consider other peoples feelings! < That is not just a comment to you Toria but everyone who wishes to debate this topic in a FRIENDLY fashion!

Play nice girls - we are ALL Individuals don't huff and throw a paddy ;)

lets all put this whole can/cant do thing in a little perspective. the human race has been about for a hell of a long time. most of this we did not know nothing about pregnancy apart from it take 9 cycles for that big silver thing in the sky to come and go then a small person comes out the woman( uuuug uggggg lmao).
am sure your average cave woman did not think oh am pregnant must stay away from raw meet and fish and as for shell fish that a big no no,,,through the many many many many years since that time yes our medical knowledge has grown immensely but every year almost every day something that was good for you is no longer and something that you should avoid is now great for you. so from our own history and what the human race has been through to get us this far i think we should learn this....if you fancy a glass of wine a ciggy some soft cheese some pate a soft boiled egg or whatever it may be that you crave just have a small amount it aint repeat AINT going to harm you or ya baby coz woman have been eating drinking and doing whatever the hell they wanted to for many more years than anyone knows and WE have survived.

I have to say...I just LOVED this post. I think that is my big issue with this debate, and any other about dos/don'ts. People seem to need to judge others for something they are doing or not doing...in the big picture, like you said, women have been doing this pregnancy thing for forever, I think we know how. Back in the day many, many women drank alcohol in moderation and the rates of fetal alcohol syndrome were lower. NOTHING in life is black and white, and I just think people need to learn to accept that now, before they have little one's running around creating chaos. A little of this, and a little of that, a little less of this, and a little less of that...and everyone is going to be just fine.

I enjoy the healthy discussion and I have concerns when people use scare tactics, like suggesting you are getting your baby drunk with one glass of wine, to try to persuade others. Let's persuade others based on fact and research and intelligence, not baseless emotional fear. I am not doctor, I admit, so please correct me if I am wrong. But according to my midwife, one glass of wine with dinner will send virtually no alcohol to the baby. First, one glass of wine does not have a ton of alcohol in it to begin with, and then by the time it is absorbed in the food in your belly, processed through your own liver, and is on to the baby, there can't be much alcohol left in it. I just think it is personal choice. I feel pretty confident in saying I doubt any of us are being perfect in our pregnancies, so I don't believe in judging someone else- kind of like that whole throwing stones analogy. It's one thing if someone was getting trashed every day- there is evidence that will harm the baby. But a little bit of whatever you enjoy, whether it's alcohol, sushi, soda, or soft cheese can't be harmful, or else most of us wouldn't be here, as our mom's did it.

They say the same thing about eggs. By the time it gets to the baby the chances of any of it harming the baby is virtually nothing. We don't risk that though because we wouldn't want to chance it.

]

heheh hasnt this been some discussion!

' why risk it?'

I agree. There is no evidence it harms. But why risk it. the only way to be 100% sure is to abstain.

oooh dont you just love a good debate!

Wow!!!
Lot of good points have made but...
guidlines change day to day, what happened to people using commen sense and own intuition?

I know a large portion of woman have probably been drunk or at least some booze inside them before they have even know they are pregnant

Jeez just trust your instincts, or on the other hand never leave the house, but remember not to run up the steps you don't want to fall do you?
don't let anyone in who may have a cough or a cold or a sickness bug, dunno what you are going to eat though as most meat could have some form of bacteria in it, my cooker might go dodgy and not cook everything all the way through
Your fridge might go on the blink and start turning your milk

Ok that lot might sound very sarcastic and arsey, but its just making a few points that you can't not do anything for 9 months that may or may not harm baby, you can't wrap yourselfs in cotton wool, you would go mad

If you wanna have 1 glass of wine a week, do it, if not don't
simple as really

in the yrs i have had my kids oldest 13 the years have changed i think the donts scare first time mums alot rather than second times ect i dont do drugs i used to like a drink but havent had one since new year not coz im pg but coz i choose not to i dont fancy it my 1 bad thing i do is smoke a few a day ive had my scan and my baby is fine big for its dates and doing well all we can do is enjoy being pg not scared and stress our selfs out as thats going to harm the baby more just enjoy our growing babies and eat what ur body fancies take it easy with cadburys caramel lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->